Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Fortune
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does this game play better with different player counts?

How does this game play with 5 players, is it too long?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
noblejohn wrote:

You can see what the collective of BGG thinks, in the "User Suggested # of Players" section under "Information" on the Roll game page.

noblejohn wrote:

I've only played with 5 once, but i don't think it's too long. There's very little time difference in any of the game sizes, same as Race (barring 2pe).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
I usually play with five players, and that's probably my preferred player number. Once people have a feel for the game, extra players don't add much to game length.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as everybody already knows the game and nobody has massive AP, 5 players should work great.

If anything, the game may go a little faster because more phases get called every turn. The only phase that bottlenecks is Explore, and as long as people pass the bag around while looking at their current draw (if they have multiple explore actions) it should still be fine.

(I find that in 3p mid game I'm chucking far more dice back into the cup each turn due to uncalled phases. Of course this means they're getting rolled sooner than if they were all used, so there's a limit to how much the game is going to get sped up with more players)

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
noblejohn wrote:

It plays differently with different player counts. There's a bit of strategy shift when you're more likely to get more phases called. As far as I'm concerned, it plays fine with any number. But some people choke on that fact that the strategy changes with player count. Especially on the 2 player version, which actually involves... random phases being chosen. Horror of horrors, there's luck in an Ameritrash game. Oh, the humanity of it all!

And no, five-player games don't take longer than other player counts, once everyone knows what's going on. Teaching multiple new players might add a bit of time, but that's it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
Two-player feels ... chancy. I don't mind it but I prefer it with more.

Five feels the opposite, like you're much more likely to get most of your leech opportunities. It's too crowded for me to be completely comfortable with it, but it's still a fine game.

I think of three and four as the sweet spot. Three's a little tighter and four's a little looser.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
Brussel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xelto wrote:
...Ameritrash...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormparkiet wrote:
Xelto wrote:
...Ameritrash...

Tom and Wei-Hwa are in California, so by that definition, it is American

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rain
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sure ain't trash, by either the standard definition, or in terms of boardgames. This is a game that emphasizes strategy over theme. It has randomness, but not wacky colourful events. It may not be a Eurogame, and it may be American, but neither of those mean that it is Ameritrash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fortune
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just as a follow up, My group of 5 played this game yesterday two times. I thought it played 5 players really well. The game stays interesting with the simultaneous actions and there we never had all 5 actions selected. There were several times when we had 4 picked, but 3 was the most common I believe.

So for my, 5 players works very well with this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.