Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Russian Railroads» Forums » General

Subject: Simple question: Russian Railroads or Kanban: Automotive Revolution? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Amadeu Coelho Fischer Neto
Brazil
Piracicaba
sp
flag msg tools
Anyone who play both can help me to choose?
Other suggestion of heavy/medium worker placement with no language dependence is welcome
Thanks!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Bush
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
amadeukaos wrote:
Other suggestion of heavy/medium worker placement with no language dependence is welcome
Thanks!!!

They don't get any better than Caylus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So what are you looking for in the game? Russian Railroads is going to be the lighter of the two. Kanban is more complex, and a little deeper, but is going to take longer. Both are good games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brazil
Piracicaba
sp
flag msg tools
Thunkd wrote:
So what are you looking for in the game? Russian Railroads is going to be the lighter of the two. Kanban is more complex, and a little deeper, but is going to take longer. Both are good games.

I'm looking for some more heavy euro that I already have...
Lords of Waterdeep, Terra Mystica, Village and Castle of Burgundy are my favorite...
But I want to expand more...
Euro with no language dependence and intuitive, like TM, with almost all information on The Board..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
My sense is that Kanban has more interesting decisions and more replayability.

Russian Railroads seems to devolve into choosing between a few limited strategies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
This is hard question, not simple.

Get both games!
While Russian Railroads is more on the lighter side, it has engine point generators, economy snowball. It plays significantly fast compared to Kanban.
Kanban on other hand, is more more complex worker placement game with dynamic scoring.

My other suggestions Madeira, Panamax or Zhanguo.
I don't think Lords of Waterdeep and Castles of Burgundy considered as heavy Euro. IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vardamir wrote:

I don't think Lords of Waterdeep and Castles of Burgundy considered as heavy Euro. IMO.

I would agree that Lords of Waterdeep and Castles of Burgundy aren't heavy euros. Having checked out your collection, Terra Mystica is the heaviest game you own by a very long way. Russian Railroads would be a natural step up, Kanban is a quantum leap compared to 95% of your current games.

Other suggestions to fry your head, Dominant Species, Vinhos, Through the Ages and Agricola.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brazil
Piracicaba
sp
flag msg tools
vardamir wrote:

Sorry, I was just giving exemples of Games that I have and like, not examples of heavy euro...

Thank you all for The sugestions!
I didnt decide yet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd probably peg Russian Railroads at about the same complexity of Village. Kanban would be more complex than any of the games you listed.

Once you learn Kanban, it's not actually that bad. But the board will initially look overwhelming and until new players learn the game, the explanation is going to be pretty intimidating. It's a game where, once you know it, everything makes sense, but up until that point it just seems like a lot of different random stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris P

Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vardamir wrote:
Get both games!

That's what I did! I really wanted another heavyweight and the concept of Sandra intrigues me. But, Russian Railroads is also pretty neat.

For Amadeu, either one will fit into your collection.

I've yet to get to play either. shake

Agreed that Lords of Waterdeep is nowhere near heavy - I found it more annoying than anything else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Archer
United Kingdom
Bunny
Notts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about panamax as a potential choice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Myers
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
http://playtmg.com/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own all three games: Russian Railroad, Kanban, and Panamax.

In RR your building up a residual point engine (no pun intended) to score points compounded each round by building rail lines and industries. Other ways to make points is the limited spaces that one can get to by placing industries, bonuses, and end of line on the tracks.

Compared to Kanban only part of the score can be built up with a residual point engine to be compounded each round (end of week) by building up tested designs with matching cars in the garage. The rest of the points are made in Kanban by planning ahead to be in the right spot with the right resources when its time to score.

Compared to Panamax only small part of the score can be residue by buying stock shares, but those are dependent on the companies that will pay out dividends. Most points are made by managing cargo and ships thru the panama canals.

To me, I would choose Kanban over RR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.