Subject: Variant wishlist - Overarching plots rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I spend enough time procrastinating making my own games and so don't really have time to procrastinate making LoW variants. But I'm just going to throw this out there as something I'd realy love to see done right.

I'm thinking of doing away with the normal end-game lord scoring and having something over an overarching plot. Basically, you'd take the quest deck and remove everything but the plot quests. You'd put the plot quest stack at Cliffwatch and draw the four quest choices from it. You'd keep a second stack of the non-PQs nearby. I think maybe you'd also guarantee that there was always one quest for each type of adventurer (though I guess that'd necessitate making a FIFTH stack for commerce).

Playing at Cliffwatch would allow you to take one of the face-up PQs or allow you to dig through the non-PQ deck and select one quest.

Then instead of lord cards, you'd start with these overarching sequence of quests that each lord had to complete. Like some kind of thematic plot arc where they (these are just chosen at random without any thought to actual plot):

Research Chronomancy
Defeat Uprising From Undermountain
Eliminate Vampire Coven
Install A Spy In Castle Waterdeep
Ally With House Thann

You'd have to do these in a very specific order, though I'm not positive of how you'd keep track of that. There might also be some choice in terms of you can complete Quest A or Quest B for Level 3, and if you complete both you get some bonus points. I'm also not sure how the VP rewards on the quests would come into plan.

You'd need a lot of different agenda scenarios to keep it different from game to game. The PQs that come out are basically there to make your moves more efficient for achieving your agenda. Maybe there is a requirement for a certain number/type of PQs completed as well.

Another thought that popped into my head was being able to co-operate on quests, forming ad hoc alliances. So on your turn, you say, "Hey masked lord number 3, of you send two of your mages, I'll send two of my warriors and a rogue together we can Eliminate Vampire Coven." Then you both put some sort of token on them to indicate you completed them.

Of course, this launches into another idea I had when all non-PQ quests are open and shared, not specific to a player. They're only taken by a specific player when they are completed. I'm not sure if this fits into the overarching plot idea or not.

What do you think, if only as a purely intellectual exercise?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArrBeeDee Dial
United States
Lexington Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
I am working on overcoming my AP. Here is my 'to do' plan ...so far: 1).
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there is an idea here...

Or even if you took multiple sets of quests in a stack that formed a story - roughly 15-18 quests. Each player gets one stack. Balance the resource requirements, balance the VPs and see who gets furthest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.