Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Folksman
United Kingdom
liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
badge
Keep Crom and crush you enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women.
mbmbmbmbmb
As the thread title states, playing an asset face down immediately causes everyone at the table to accuse you of being the mole, and you more than likely are, because why would you just reveal the asset if you were not?

Any thoughts on this?

I really like the game, it's just the strategy of it is a bit mind boggling to us at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana R.
United States
Claremont
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Devotium Popcornicus
mbmbmbmbmb
Activating them makes them vulnerable and could be lost is one reason. And they are VP's so I would assume keeping that information secret could be an asset especially towards end of game.

Still waiting on game, these are assumptions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, you are only required to burn active assets. If you don't want to use the asset yet, keep it face down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Bivins

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Strategy-wise though, I agree. Every Asset has an advantage it gives, and I haven't seen a situation yet where I would want to go turns without using that advantage.

Maybe I just need to play it more...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Folksman
United Kingdom
liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
badge
Keep Crom and crush you enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your replies.

yes I have not come across a situation where any of our players felt the need to keep an asset hidden. VP's or not, the use of an asset outweighs the advantage of keeping that information concealed. If you are the mole and want to hide Brody for example, you immediately bring suspicion on yourself in doing so.

I think the strategy in this game goes very deep, which is good!

For example, I tried to play in the last turn of the game, very suspicious, because I knew that i could be accused wrongly of being the mole (i was a loyal agent), and the other person would get -3vp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gale Force Nine LLC
United States
North East
Maryland
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Keeping Assets facedown protects them from the Fallout of a certain Threats that the Analysts fail to neutralize. Assets are worth Victory Points, so players may want to keep them hidden in a tight game. Also, if you are a Loyal Agent, having other players think you may be a Mole could cost them Victory Points at the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also - some Assets steal other Assets (I believe you can take Brodie with his wife, and a few other situations), so you could keep them face down to keep another player from stealing your asset.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek M
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After now having played the game, it seems to me that the default state for most assets *should* be face down. You activate the agent when the board situation is such that the asset can have an impact. Many times the board state is such that your asset's ability does not have an immediate impact. Don't then reveal them early and risk losing them before they can be used!

+ 2 against orgs of a certain type, and none are on the board and/or near analysis? Keep hidden!

Recruit from discarded assets and none are yet discarded? Keep hidden!

Immune to fallout from your cases and you are not analyzing for 2 rounds? Keep hidden!

I think I recruited a total of 5 assets in my first game yesterday, and in 4 of the 5 cases there would have been no immediate impact if I activated them in the same turn I recruited them. Why flip face up until you need to?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen biggs
England
flag msg tools
Two reasons:

1) Most high VP assets can be stolen. Keeping them face down prevents that. Basically you should judge if the asset is worth more in VP's than it's ability.

2) Challenging the terrorist player at game end is only worth the gamble if you need the extra VP. A face down asset can cause other players to misjudge the VP position.
e.g I ended last game with 19VP. the player I suspected of being the Mole had 18vp(as mole) Challenging him and being wrong would have cost me a certain win. So I didn't risk the challenge. If he'd had a face down asset I may have needed to gamble on the challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.