Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XCom is a coop game from 1 to 4 players who need to prevent the invasion of Aliens from outer space in a global setting.

The game has 4 roles to distribute among the players, from the financial director who needs to support the funding, the researcher who needs to upgrade the systems to counter the Aliens, the Com Link Director to keep the Coms going, up to the Combat squad Leader .

Everyone has his own role and the team is just as good as the weakest link. Upgrades in technology ensure players need to keep track of everything too !

The decision making is timed. The execution and resolution system has no timer. So you can resolve every battle or progress in a relaxed format.

Coop: 10/10: Frankly it is one of the best coop systems I ever saw: NO risk of having an alpha gamer here. Due to the timing there really is no danger of being bullied around as everyone needs to be concerned with his OWN role during the timed events.

Number of players: 1-4. While 4 is ideal for the setting. Less players is quite fun too. The solo player will love it as well, since after a few turns there is ample time to do the (limited) actions per role. The App changes the timing according to the number of players btw.

The playing time: less than 2 hours for players who played at least one session.

Learning curve: 4 (out of a scale of 1-10), very modest since your first walkthrough is simply learning the rules really. Within ONE hour of setting up the game, you'll know 99% of all mechanics. That's a perfect score of 10 to me as with other games you always need extra time to learn the rules: here you already play your first game while learning the rules.

Components: 10/10. Almost perfect. Components are a beauty, functional, no clutter AND the game can be played on a rather normal kitchen table.

Long term play: for the normal gamer this is a keeper. Enough different missions and challenges AND random combat to keep you going for a few dozen time. The game is NO daily player though like some great card games, but it does not need to do that. It is ideal to play a few times at your club or once a month with friends and family.

I think the BEST games are those that you play once or twice a month as you have a fun adventure or setting.

Worth buying: This game is 9/10 for me. You'll enjoy it for having it in your collection as it can be played SOLITAIRE without a problem AND with a challenge. The timing is NO problem here as just a few rounds of play will be enough to know the cycles in the timed events.

And the resolution phase is without timing, so you can cheer, laugh, be excited for minutes about the combat results.

The combat and other results are based on probablity and management of risk analysis which is GREAT btw. Those complaining about dice rolls never played wargames in the first place where these dice rolls act like risk management and probablity charts.

One small remark: it would have been better if there was a small reference (rule) booklet extra in the box, but quite frankly playing the game once is more than enough to learn it all and when in doubt research the iPad rules by index.

(btw. these days I always copy the PDF rules to my iPad and while searching for keywords I could play a game like Eldritch Horror within one hour of set up without much trouble along the sessions).

Rated:

A must buy and a welcome game for those coming out of their standard Euro gaming shell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy B
United Kingdom
Mold
Clwyd
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good quick review. I am a fan of both xcom and co-op games and have been keeping an eye, waiting to see how the reviews fair. I think, seeing more postive reviews like this, I will be taking the plunge on wednesday

Thankscool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the automated game master reference. I wholeheartedly agree. As someone with 500 games and 5 gaming friends (at best), having an electronic Game Master is brilliant for future games. I hope this type of thing takes off.

It definitely works for X-Com. No question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Auzette wrote:
I love the automated game master reference. I wholeheartedly agree. As someone with 500 games and 5 gaming friends (at best), having an electronic Game Master is brilliant for future games. I hope this type of thing takes off.

It definitely works for X-Com. No question.

Yes, I think many, many people underestimate the need for such things coming in. Be that on iPad or through some other mechanics like cards etc...

After re reading my post after a few days ... the odd thing is that I hardly made any direct references to the workings/interface of the iPad in this game.

That means the GM function was perfectly integrated. Call to FFG: adapt GM roles for your other games too (even as an option).

You could include and sell it as an expansion to Descent or Star Wars or many other games.

I would pay 10 bucks for such GM Apps without a problem and would acquire these supported games on the fly. Most people can play only once every 3 months these co op games by lack of GM or players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Thornton
Australia
Edgeworth
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love an app that controls Mansions of Madness. Could be automated in the form of telling you which rooms you find as you explore the house (rather than a ready made map), tells you what items/obstacles/events you encounter and where monsters appear/move. At the end of each turn you just input where your investigator is and your current health/sanity.

It is a dream of mine to be able to play MoM solo but still retain the core of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
XCom. The game that introduced automated Game Masters in a professional way

To the best of my knowledge, that would be Stop Thief, way back in 1979. It was a Scotland Yard-like game (that was actually the inspiration for Scotland Yard) that used an electronic device to manage the thieves (aka Mister X).

XCom just took long-gone ideas and brought them out again on our phones instead of providing a custom-made electronic device.

There were a lot of those games with automated game-masters back in the 80s. Dark Tower is another one that springs to mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Games have traditionally assumed that people have their own pens/pencils and don't need the game to supply them. Somewhere in the last five years or so, smart-phones/tablets have reached the point where it's safe to assume people have access to them too, so, rather than needing to put resources into a custom electronic device (that is almost impossible to repair and hard to replace), you can just provide the custom software for it instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.