Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
Just wondering what would be the easiest way to export a list of the top 500 games into a text file, preferably csv, that I could stick on my palm pilot. I'm going to a game store today about 50 miles away and if I see something interesting I'd like to check the rating. Because I no longer make decisions without consulting the Borg Game Geek!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be cool if you could export as csv, like you do with "my collections."

I ended up just exporting my want list. Then I'm going to use a windows utility to convert csv to a format readable by listdb, a free palm database.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is how I created a database of the top 383 two player games and put it on my palm pda using a mac and free tools. It took me five days to figure this out

First do a search for the games you want and paste the results into a spreadsheet. Massage that data until it resembles the example below:

Using the free database program ListDB, and the perl scripts here:

http://home.pacbell.net/dunhamd/

I created a CSV file using this format:

2playaz,Field1,Field2,Unsorted,2buy,own
Unsorted,Battle,6.7,3.5
Unsorted,Puerto Rico,8.46,3.35
Unsorted,Tigris & Euphrates,8.22,3.6
Unsorted,Caylus,8.2,3.76
Unsorted,Power Grid,8.15,3.41
Unsorted,El Grande,8.06,3.22

And imported it using the aforementioned perl script. About 50 percent of the time the perl script would generate a file with a size of 0, but I kept running it until the output showed up.

Now to fill my palm with tasty fields and records!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/133554 may help... it's XML summary of all the "ranked" games in the BGG database that you can download.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.