Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benjamin Marsh
United States
Batavia
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking to purchase a "light" war game for me and my 14 year old son to play, that my 9 year old son can start to learn as well. I have decided on one of these 2: Heroes of Normandie or Memoir 44. Any suggestions on which one as the price is about the same, and they both have expandability. Thanks, Ben

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Fishwick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Haven't played Heroes, but it looks more complex. There seems to be a lot more variety in troop abilities without it becoming as complex as most wargames. These are printed on the pieces which means you can avoid checking the rules.

You can play Memoir 44 online on the Days of Wonder website if you want to try it. It does have an easier variant too which they suggest for teaching young children. Maybe the miniatures might appeal to your kids more than tiles too.

I find Memoir frustrating though in that you can only use certain troops based on which command cards you get e.g. one turn you may only be able to use troops on the left side of the board. It is a good game and there is a lot of variety of scenarios, but I think it can feel like you don't have too much control.

I'd suggest watching a couple of videos to see which you think would appeal most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Folsom
United States
Wilmore
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also own Memoir and haven't played Heroes (but I really want to). Watch some reviews, maybe watch it with your son and see what he thinks. Memoir isn't too difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
badge
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
For the 9 year old probably Memoir. For you and the 14 year old definitely Heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One difference between the game is their scale. Heroes is about squads, while Memoir is a larger scale (units can be battalions or companies, for example). You might see which scale appeals to your kids as well. If they want gritty "take the house/crossroads" type games, Heroes might be the better choice. If they want to play all of Omaha Beach, you want Memoir.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce Spence
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both. I still have not played Heroes but I play Memoir quite a bit and have found it really easy to learn and teach. I think your kids will enjoy the miniatures as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroes can be a lot of fun. It feels like basic Squad Leader with war-movie overtones. But Memoir' is easier to learn and set up. I like them both but personally lean towards Memoir.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artillery magnet
msg tools
mbmb
I have both but have yet to play HoN. However, I play Memoir quite a bit with my 8 year old. Initially, I was surprised how quickly he remembered the terrain modifiers, movement rules, and other game nuances. I think the HoN has more "character" and players have more of a choice as to what units to field. I hope to eventually crack open this game as well.
Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Marsh
United States
Batavia
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried the Memoir 44 online a while ago, but got fed up with the pay to play mechanics. I agree that the card movement seemed a little cumbersome but would be easy to learn. Heroes seems to appeal to my oldest son the most, so I will have to judge how much my youngest is truly interested. Has anyone used the Memoir 44 campaign books? Do they require a lot of expansions to use? Thanks for all your replies. Ben

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is only one campaign in the two Campaign Books you can play with just base (Battle for Normandy in CB1), with Terrain Pack you get access to I think three more, then BT, EF and PT each required for their campaigns.

For comprehesive lists:

CB1: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/400024/list-required-ex...

CB2: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/749540/list-required-ex...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.