Subject: Interceptor - Attacker or Defender? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Lee

Georgia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the intercepting player (non-phasing player) always the defender in battles following a successful interception?

Last night one of my sons took Gaius Nero over the alps and he was promptly intercepted in Gallia Transylpinia by Hannibal (my other son) who was on the other side.

My interpretation was that, after successfully intercepting, Hannibal was the defender and Nero was the attack. This put Nero in the position (with 9 CUs) of having to win or be eliminated since the attacker, if he loses, has to retreat to the space he attacked from (in this case, that would mean he’d have to retreat to the other side of the alps where he came from before being intercepted -- and that is a retreat path that is not allowed).

Did we do this correctly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Ketchum
United States
New Castle
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the moving player is the attacker and intercepting defender is the defender. He would have had to win or be eliminated--no retreat over mountain passes. On the other hand, an intercepted army may move back one step without accepting battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Nikolaidis
Greece
Patra
Patra
flag msg tools
badge
Yes, it's unfortunate but correct. It's a very risky move against a so powerful General.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Lee

Georgia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but he had nowhere to back up to -- the mountain pass was separating him from where he came from before interception (on the other side of the mountain). Interestingly, Hannibal's elephants rampaged and Nero had a "spy in the enemy camp" helping him get the win! Fun stuff.

Thanks for the reply guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Lee

Georgia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brandon,
Good to hear from you. Back in 2012 we had about 5 games of Washington's War. That was great fun. I wish this played well by email, cuz I'd love to play you in this one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Polo
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
Have you tried the vassal version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Lee

Georgia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Mark. Have a "suspended" game of it going now. We rejoin and play an hour or 2 at a time. Great fun. Maybe we can hook up over the Vassal server some time soon...time difference between us may be a problem, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.