Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sinister
United States
Unspecified
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
are their any maps of the star trek universe as of the original show I could use for a campaign map?

I think we are going to have 4 or 5 players and I would like to have "areas" of space you can battle for on the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Newman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Of the original show? There was on in one of the Technical Manuals.

There's a great campaign map for Star Fleet Battles in Nexus Magazine #6. You may be able to find a copy in an old periodicals shop, used bookstore, or eBay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aljoscha S. Nett
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not from the original show and no areas, but it may help for a start:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/fullimage/23462

Cheers,

Aljoscha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Tenhoff
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a group over at the Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board that is playtesting a set of Campaign Rules.

Rules are at: http://home.comcast.net/~kerrydrake/4way.htm

SFU Discussion Board is at: http://www.starfleetgames.com/discus/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Johnson
United States
Castle Rock
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was first introduced to SFB in 1983 (high school SFB club), a few members were using Federation Space to move task forces around and fight out battles in SFB. They had house rules to determine what kind of battle would occur (long-range meeting engagement, running pursuits, ambushes, etc.) and much of the game was probing the composition of the enemy task forces. The task force may be composed of a single ship, a freighter convoy, or a reinforced fleet. Bases and Scouts were extremely helpful in determining this, by scanning the task forces without having to clash with them, but the scouts typically got pounced by fast cruisers, peeling away from the slower ships.

The fleets ended up being composed of agonizingly slow supply freighter convoys, groups of slow (warp 6) destroyers, and groups of fast hard-hitting cruisers that quickly outrun their repair and supply ships.

When on offensive, repair pods, being towed by fast fleet tugs, were at a premium. They could repair ships that were unable to fix certain amount of extensive damage. Or else, these ships went into future battles already damaged. So eliminating or isolating enemy bases and fleet repair docks was very important (sort of like Rings Around Rabaul -- see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydxIgnyyf8Y).

They also had house rules on ship production and repair. Bases had ships under construction (X due to be completed on date Y) or could delay this and use their facilities to repair damaged ships or take old ships out of the mothball fleet and fix them up with new equipment and a green crew and send them into the galactic meat-grinder. I believe they used a point system that bases had every turn to spend on repair, mothball refit, or to hasten the production of a ship.

The one thing that tormented the Fed/Gorn alliance was the Romulans raiding freighter convoys and clobbering unguarded bases and colony production centers. They usually could get out of battles they did not want to fight and counter-attack where it hurt.

If the Feds could hold out under a huge Klingon offensive, the industrial output of the Fed bases and colonies could repair and replace their losses, so the Klingons and Romulans want to risk a fast tempo offensive to end the war quickly before the Fed economy ramps up for war production. The rules gave the victor of a battle (the one who controlled the territory at odds and did not retreat) the option to stay and repair his damaged ships (using the damage control facilities of the ships), retreat to a friendly task force and/or base, or continue his attack to another target or pursue the enemy. The game turned into a swirling dogfight of attacking, retreating, and counter-attacking ships progressively getting chewed up in the hopes of eliminating enemy ships before they are repaired at a base.

If I remember correctly, the game those guys were playing started with a Gorn offensive against the Romulans, but the Roms had recently developed their cloaking device and produced cloaked sub-light Warbird light cruisers, armed with powerful Plasma R torpedoes. The Gorns attacked into three separate ambushes of cloaked Warbirds, Hawks and Snipes. The Gorn offensive turned into a fiasco and the Romulans counter-attacked into Gorn Territory to capture the Gorn frontier bases and raid their production centers (the one thing that saved the Gorns from annihilation was the slow speed of those sub-light ships). Years later, the Gorns attacked to get their territory back, but the Romulans were supplied with Klingon ships and their fleet of sub-light ships were improved with tactical warp engines. That turned into a further fiasco for the Gorns. The Federation was not going to help the Gorns since they started these wars, and the Feds had enough on their hands as the Klingons attacked the Kzintis in a crushing offensive. The following offensive against the Federation had the Klingons and Romulans weakened by the prior wars, but the Federation's allies were all but eliminated, using their surviving ships to guard their core planets. The Tholians were ignored. The gamers had house rules that governed if the minor allies would sue for peace, if the Orions would attack --and who would they attack, and if the Tholians would go on the offensive. I just wish I had a copy of their rules they were using!

This strategic game can be done with Federation Commander, moving fleets around on a strategic map to fight out the battles with fleet-scale ships. You can use the maps in Federation and Empire, or use the older, smaller map in Federation Space (that does not have the Lyrians, Wyns, ISC, and Neo-Tholians --which worked for me as I never liked playing those Nations of non-canon ninnies), or use that map in Nexus #6 --that also included the SFB Cadet Training Module. I have talked to other SFB gamers who also fought out the big General War in individual battles using cadet ships and the Intro/Cadet rules.

I also heard there is a strategic game of FC being planned, called Federation Admiral.

I took 200 of the main/popular FC printable ship cards in Commander's Circle and turned them into Star Fleet Battles style page-sized SSDs that are easy to print and greatly facilitate games where players want to play out mass fleet battles of identical ships (such as six Fed CAs against six Klingon D7s, massive freighter convoy battles, etc.). You have to place the SSDs into transparent plastic sheet protectors and mark with grease pencils or dry-erase markers, or you can just print out as many as you want and mark them up with pencils.

Star Fleet Battles Cadet & Federation Commander First Missions (21 MB):

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IK6XOX65

You must unzip this file with 7zip which can be obtained free on the internet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Johnson
United States
Castle Rock
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are campaign maps for viewing and downloading:

http://www.federationcommander.com/images/west.jpg

http://www.federationcommander.com/images/east.jpg

They are simple versions of the Federation and Empire maps that can be expanded to fit a page to print without becoming too fuzzy.
The hexes are still sort of small for 1/2" counters, but manageable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.