Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mauricio Bustamante
Uruguay
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everybody.

I just got this game 3 days ago and i really enjoy it. i have played 3 games, 2 with 4 players and one with 3.

the first couple of games we would roll the dice all together, assign, reveal, and then go one by one on each phase, so, if explore was selected, each player would explore, one by one, until we were all done, and then move to the next phase.

the last play we did, we would roll simultaneously, then check which phases were revealed, and then we would all play simultaneously, since there is no much interaction needed besides the explore phase.

In the explore phase we would draw one by one, or convert to money, but other than that, the 4 other phases happen within your tableau so you pretty much need no interaction.

I see the issue of trusting your buddies, but since we are rolling behind screens already, there is no big deal, besides we all frown upon cheating.

what do you guys do?
cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Merkle
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I taught the game to 4 new players this weekend in a single 5 player game. We walked through each phase for the first few rounds, but once players "got" the game, we just blitzed through turns. I think simultaneously play is absolutely fine if your group is OK with it. The most distracting thing was answering questions and forgetting where in the turn I was, or what I was planning on doing. I wasn't worried about intentional cheating at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once everybody knows the game, I definitely whip through my turn independently from everybody else. Sometimes near the end of the game you need to wait while shipping to see if folks are going to end the game or not, but otherwise it's just do it all in parallel.

I also try to get people to pass the bag around between dice if they have several explores since a large explore is the one thing that can slow the game down.

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Bustamante
Uruguay
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sweet, so it seems taht there is a tendency to go that way.
it makes the game blitz through

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some development powers that trigger based on having the most of something or the most expensive of something. For those, you should "sync up" with other players in that phase so you can make sure they didn't out-do you in an earlier phase while you were moving ahead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
During my first few play throughs, after revealing my screen, I would ask the game explainer questions, and get his input on certain things just to make sure I wasn't missing anything (e.g. I can take any die onto the black box; no1 called II, so these 2 dice go right back into the cup; for I, all of these will go into Citizenry, but for now, just do I actions one by one?). Others also reminded me to put dice either back into my cup or into my Citizenry.

For Roll, you most definitely can cheat. When I was lining up the dice behind the screen, I accidentally knocked a couple of them and they tilted over to something different. "Hmm, I could use an I and a II" I thought to myself, and I would most assuredly get away with it. Never mind the integrity of the game... "let's see have more fun in seeing how the dice screws us his time!".

Another point I'd like to make is when I play Race, while I can verify that all rules were being followed (e.g. correct payments, someone not grabbing an extra card for Interstellar Bank, revealing a different action card a split second after the rest have done theirs, etc.), I generally don't. It's not even a trust issue. Here, it's just too exhausting. I want to play the game, not that other game. When playing with newbies, I do divert my attention to questions of rules and strategy they may have, so that helps level the playing field that I'm not as focused on winning anyways.

Otherwise, I only point out stuff I happen to encounter, like "you need to draw your rebate cards from Galactic Markets and III bonus", or "You paid 6 for Robotic Alien Factory? You should only pay 4 since you have ATI".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always watch the newbies carefully in Race to make sure they "get it" and that they aren't missing any powers that they should be using (most mistakes made by new players are not in their favor). I have developed enough "tableau awareness" to do this even if players are going at different paces (but it took dozens or perhaps hundreds of games)

I haven't gotten to that point yet in roll as I'm even overwhelmed myself sometimes, and there are usually several new players. It's good to go one phase at a time until you get it. But I'm sure one could reach the point where they can keep track of it well enough to disregard the timing where it doesn't matter.

Most of the phases are pretty quick anyway and are basically automatic.
Develop and Settle have bo decisions. Produce and Consume are usually straightforward decisions. Only Explore phase is where players hit a bunch of AP, so I can understand why players won't to move ahead while others are thinking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W

South Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmb
If you are playing with people that know the game and you trust them, there really is no reason to not have everyone doing their actions simultaneously; but if your with people learning the game or someone that you don't trust, I would slow the game down so they can see what is going on and you can make sure they are playing their actions correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gopherfan wrote:
If you are playing with people that know the game and you trust them, there really is no reason to not have everyone doing their actions simultaneously; but if your with people learning the game or someone that you don't trust, I would slow the game down so they can see what is going on and you can make sure they are playing their actions correctly.
You may want to slow down the game anyways, or at least take a pause to note what happened... what tiles got built, what's the top tile of the Construction Zone, how many dice are on there, and # of goods on tableau.

You could still play MP solitaire, but at this point, you probably have enough experience and knowledge to plan your moves around what your opponents' are up to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucio Pierobon
Germany
Bad Tölz
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last week first game with 5 players, with me (6 games) 1 player who already played it once and three that never played it before (one of them even never played Race).

First game going in turn order without simultaneous actions (90 minuts including rules explaination).

Second game in full simultaneous mode (35 minutes).

Regards
Lucio
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Collier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play one by one. We enjoy watching what the other players do in their turns, and it gives better information (I think) about what their plans for the future might be so I can plan accordingly with dice conversion and placement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the brisk pace this game can be played at, it can be extremely jarring when the game ends completely out of nowhere sometimes. I'd recommend slowing down considerably in the 2nd half of the game, or at least paying keen attention to build potential (explore + dev + settle dice per player) and/or total VP potential of the table at the start of any given turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kalvin connor
United States
rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do mine as fast as possible but I make sure the person next to me knows what im doing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sircaradoc wrote:
I do mine as fast as possible but I make sure the person next to me knows what im doing.
Dude, it's no longer a Race laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Once everybody knows the game, I definitely whip through my turn independently from everybody else.

Just a quick question to clarify: Do you mean you whip through the "phase" independently or the entire turn?

In other words, could you be settling or producing while I am still exploring or do you wait at the end of each phase to go onto the next one as a group?

Haven't played this yet, but will be soon and just want to be sure I get the gist of intended flow.

Thanks,

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter D
Belgium
Hove
flag msg tools
badge
Game Over Man, Game Over!
mbmbmbmbmb
We always play phase by phase and wait for everyone to finish the entire phase.

It makes it a bit more structured if other players want to see what you are doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We pretty much whip through all the phases, announcing as we go, including purchasing and rolling dice for next turn. The only time we are in sync is when we expose the dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
natsean wrote:
Quote:
Once everybody knows the game, I definitely whip through my turn independently from everybody else.

Just a quick question to clarify: Do you mean you whip through the "phase" independently or the entire turn?

Turn.

natsean wrote:
In other words, could you be settling or producing while I am still exploring or do you wait at the end of each phase to go onto the next one as a group?

There's always someone stuck in explore since that's the longest phase. The other players do not wait for him unless it's potentially the final round.

natsean wrote:
Haven't played this yet, but will be soon and just want to be sure I get the gist of intended flow.

As for which flow was intended, i'm not sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Woozle1977 wrote:
We always play phase by phase and wait for everyone to finish the entire phase.

It makes it a bit more structured if other players want to see what you are doing.
Fun note... some folks in 7 Wonders end up playing the round independently of everyone else. That must've been how one table, someone had 3 cards while the other person still had 3. laughshake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
ya gotta bunny/duck it in your head
badge
"I looked at my hands, I understood that one fine day, one fine evening to be precise, they would no longer be hands but some other awful thing." —Jack Kerouac
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played five-player games with strangers where everyone just kind of plows through the game with heads down until it's suddenly over... That's okay, I guess, but I much prefer the way my friends play where we step through the game together and "connect the dots" with narrative elements to try to entertain and outdo each other:

DID YOU KNOW?

• The Space Marine recruitment protocols in the drinking water constitute retroactive consent—this only really matters to the recruits' relatives as the recruits themselves are neurologically predisposed to be "just fine" with the sudden change in life-trajectory.

• "Blue goods" are mostly comic books and dildos.

• "Green goods" are pretty much the same, only alive—and depressingly sentient.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
entranced wrote:
natsean wrote:

As for which flow was intended, i'm not sure.

I intended the game to be enjoyable both ways. It is deliberate that there are few game-impacting synchronization points outside of Scout.

I have also seen hybrid forms, which can happen if there are new players at the table. For example, recently I played a 5-player game with 3 players who were new to the game. For the first few rounds, I would walk through the phases one-at-a-time for the new players and me, and my wife would just run through her round, waiting for us at the next Reveal step. Eventually one of the new players got the hang of it, and so for the rest of the game I would walk through the phases for the other two players, while the other three of us would run through. All of this just came about naturally.

I have also seen very aggressive (and experienced) players who attempt to do the phases in the wrong order. "I'm planning to trade this good anyway, so let me do it first so I can see how many Stock actions I need to use during Explore." Sometimes this backfires on them and they end up trying to make takebacks. This is generally okay but if there is a novice player also at the table they can end up getting massively confused by what the heck the experienced player is doing. So I recommend against doing this unless everyone at the table is experienced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
onigame wrote:
I have also seen very aggressive (and experienced) players who attempt to do the phases in the wrong order. "I'm planning to trade this good anyway, so let me do it first so I can see how many Stock actions I need to use during Explore." Sometimes this backfires on them and they end up trying to make takebacks. This is generally okay but if there is a novice player also at the table they can end up getting massively confused by what the heck the experienced player is doing. So I recommend against doing this unless everyone at the table is experienced.

I use said "very aggresive" style, though it came about naturally as an easier (read: faster) way to comprehend/visualize how to play the turn. I'm notorious for never doing takebacks, but i don't consider a "future" move to be binding since it was just an aid in speeding up the game. It's not like i'm using future knowledge to make earlier moves, and then taking advantage of that in some way with a takeback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Chen
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm also guilty as charged for the "aggressive" playstyle. The most difficult phase of the game (after dice allocation) is Explore, so as long as my explore phase doesn't affect what I'm building this turn (it usually doesn't), I do everything else first and then return to the tough decision at the end, when I can visualize what my board will look like and easily count the dice in my citizenry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As we get better and better at this game, the aggressive style is starting to bite us in the butt pretty often. Ignoring the newbie issue, one problem is that the endgame can arrive extremely unexpectedly.

E.g.: an opponent (Faction 1) has 3 open tableau spots, a 6dev on top of his stack, and 3 dice on dev. You (Faction 2) explore and then blitz through your turn as usual. Opponent announces he ends the game. On explore he sacrificed his 6dev and played 3x 1 cost devs.

Another problem, backward knowledge. I've seen players take back their turn to gain extra points because they learn that the game end triggered unexpectedly in a previous phase. Improving their turn with knowledge that they never would have had in the first place. Especially egregious when they are earlier in the turn order than the triggerer.

E.g.: 2p game, opponent (Faction 1) and you (Faction 2) have a Shipping stalemate: 2 goods each, and he has Organic Shipyards. He doesn't want to waste a die and his action choice on Ship, while you can't give him 2 free shipped goods. Eventually, you realize it's in your best interest to recall your 2 goods. Opponent notices this and also recalls his 2 goods.

Technically what should happen here is, you recall your dice after he passes on recall. He does not have the opportunity to recall his dice after seeing you do, because he has the lower Faction number.

I'm seeing more and more of these spots, and at the end of the day if you want to play this game optimally, it has to be played sequentially. Do not like. This also puts a strange emphasis on the random starting Faction tile #. Do not like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
entranced wrote:
This also puts a strange emphasis on the random starting Faction tile #.

It's okay if you don't like the effects of the timing rules, but I feel compelled to point out that the Faction tile numbers are not random. I did put some thought into choosing the order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.