Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Wallace
United States
Berkeley
CA
flag msg tools
mb
So far, I've found a big advantage can be had in building an early starbase on the opponent's side of the board. It's difficult to dislodge, and you can immediately start building units on the new base. This puts your new ships right where they can do the most damage.

An obvious response to an early starbase is to reply by building a similar base ASAP. However, the speed at which the first base can build a ship and move that ship really changes the pace of the game. Plus, it might be a few turns before drawing the tile that allows you to build a base in response. Being second to build a starbase seems like falling behind early on.

So, a simple strategic objective: be the first to build a starbase in enemy territory. Conversely, a clear counter strategy is to keep a strike force ready to attack and destroy any base built on your own side of the board.

In our most recent game, the early moves felt very much like chess, in that some ships were placed not to attack or establish colonies, but instead to "cover" several planets so that any base built on one of them could be immediately attacked. These ships were along the front lines, so in turn, they needed to be covered by reserves.

Unfortunately for me, in this most recent case, my coverage was inadequate and my reserves non-existent. Some quick ship builds by my opponent helped them keep the early base. It was a very hard fight from then on!

I wonder about adding a house rule forbidding a base from building ships on the same turn it is constructed. Would it add strategic depth or just slow down aggression? Would it upset play balance if bases were more vulnerable early on? This house rule makes intuitive sense to me, but I'm sure there would be an impact on gameplay, so it's not just a simple tweak.

Or, perhaps, I'm just pouting because I built too puny of a strike force? Nah, that couldn't be it.

Any thoughts on delaying builds on bases or ideas on how to deal with them effectively are most welcome.

Happy hunting,
Jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Harris
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak.
badge
Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen. -- Winston Churchill
mbmbmbmbmb
I am jealous the 8/3 ops chit comes up so early and consistently in your games, I always seem to be waiting forever on that.

I guess my first thought would be, why just place ships near the systems you are worried about having a base? Why not just attack those systems? A base can only be placed in a controlled system so if you are contesting it when it comes to his 8/3 ops chit draw, no base there. To me it seems both of you would have to have your forces spread out quite a bit for this picketing to work at all the way you're describing it so while it may result in numerous small battles of attrition (for both of you) it would disrupt this strategy.

Another thing that pops to mind is 'why let them get to your side of the board at all' to place that base. Might try consolidating around your homeworld and be able to easy maneuver a strike force to hotspots from 'behind the lines'.

Hopefully others have some ideas as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Well, you see, I'm a "compromiser." I tend to build out to the center of the board, but CLOSER to my Home System than theirs. That way, I have the move flexibility and can mutually support my bases to keep them intact.

I've lost many a BS unit being a bit TOO "forward!"

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Wallace
United States
Berkeley
CA
flag msg tools
mb

Thanks for the advice! I agree that getting the 8/3 option seems to happen late for me each cycle. Not always so late for my opponents though...

The strategy suggestion is perfect. Right, combat always happens after star base construction. Even if I lose combat on my opponent's turn, he or she misses out on building a base at the contested planet until the next cycle. I didn't think of that! Another great use for those "useless" small ships.

The only downside is that pushing ships forward onto border planets might lead to endless conflict. Oh right, wargame.

Your second suggestion, and Alan's, are also both good. My play style of burning every resource at all times doesn't usually allow for a reserve strike force. Maybe I'll try it and learn something.

Seethingly,
Jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.