Through the Desert» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Thoughts on Through the Desert rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Koch
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I've been getting more and more interested in board games of late and have some disposable income at my .... disposal I have been trying to hit the high points of board games to get a taste for whats out there. Enjoying games with a low luck factor and a high strategy factor, Through The Desert seemed like an obvious choice.

In terms of components, my only suggestions to the designers would be to package the game with individual bags for the 2 types of tiles and each type of camel as well as one for riders, grey camels and palm trees. Having them all come in one big sack, while simple for them is a nightmare for the organizationally inclined. While sandwich bags suffice, it would have been nice to see them come with it. I would also suggest perhaps changing the color of the camels to be more distinct. Two of the colors look extremely similar in low light or if you have bad eyes, something that might make it frustrating for blind, old or bright-light challenged people. Otherwise I felt everything was well designed.

The rules are straightforward and unequivocal, qualities I appreciate considering my propensity for semantic noodling. What is immediately gratifying about them beyond that is that they are simple and few yet hold the capacity for deep strategy.

From a strategic standpoint I think this game is great, and very reminiscent of go in terms of territory capture. Not only are you working towards your own goals (of which there are a few.. touch oases, capture water holes, make the longest chain, capture territory) but you are also trying to keep your opponents from doing the same. As The Dude would say, there are a lot of ins and outs. This is virtue beyond compare as far as I am concerned because it makes nuanced and well-thought out play imperative.

Overall I definitely recommend the game to the strategically minded and those looking for a game that won't leave their brain feeling like a quivering pool of jelly but will also challenge them to think ahead and make wise decisions.

Final Verdict: Two Thumbs Up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rick nichols
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a great game, though the baggie issue seems minor. I usually add my own anyway based on the size and number of components - our household never runs short of snack bags, sandwich bags, quart size bags. And, yes we do actually use some of them for food, too. As the Dude would say, "The Dude abides." cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just grabbed a couple ziplocs from the kitchen and my game is fine. Actually, even with multiple added ziplocs, it all fits in the box even with the insert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Koch
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never said that it was an issue using ziploc bags, just that it would have been nice to see the game come with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian Fraser
Canada
Whitecourt
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did I just read that the blind might have trouble seeing the difference in colors? Yep I did "something that might make it frustrating for blind, old or bright-light challenged people. Otherwise I felt everything was well designed." Now that is funny, Good review, thanks for the laugh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Senor EvilMonkey
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
zennoshinjou wrote:
Two of the colors look extremely similar in low light or if you have bad eyes, something that might make it frustrating for blind, old or bright-light challenged people. Otherwise I felt everything was well designed.

I'm sure that this review is probably very helpful, but unfortunately, being blind, old AND bright-light challenged I couldn't read it, so I'll have to trust to luck n buy the game n hope...
Fingers crossed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.