Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Mench
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I finally decided to dive in and buy X-wing for myself and my Star Wars nuts for kids, 10/15/17 (mainly two youngest). I took the drive down to my local store here in Germany cause I knew they had both English and German sets. But I'm sitting there looking at the box with three ships in it and already slightly tic'd that the same set in German goes for 8 euros less and thinking, well... I need more models.

We've never played a game like this and I'm not sure we'd like it, but I have a good feeling we will. I disn't want to just come home with the starter box, love it and have to go back tomorrow and get more crafts. They didn't have a second starter box, that was my first choice. I might still do that for the dice and movement marker thingies. So I went to look at picking up two more ships. To give it flavor.

Something rebel and something imperial. But I had no idea if I'd pick up something that would whomp and make things completely uneven. Tic'd off again by the €10 cost for German packaging and €13 cost for English I just quietly put down the box and slipped out quietly.

I know we'd have fun... What would be a good start looking $50-75ish

One set 3-4 additionals
Two sets 1-2 additionals?

Which additionals, or do they all have power cards and non power cards?

Ugh, thanks

M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chadwick

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello.

First off, welcome to the forums. Next, I might suggest you find someone in your local area that doesn't mind letting you try the game. Most people I've found are pretty friendly and love to get new people into the hobby. So, I bet you could find someone at the local store to play with their minis to let you try it.

After that, I would recommend 2 starter sets. You get enough dice that way and have 2 sets of move templates, which is great. Also, 2 X-wing and 4 Ties are good starters for a good price.

After that? Well, it depends. There are a number of threads about it, but it depends on how much you want to get into it and at what time. No matter what, I would recommend away from the Tie Phantom when playing at home. It just wrecks the game. Everything else is fine, though. I tend to find playing with the Wave 1 ships to be fun and easy to get into. Y-wings, Vader, X-wings and Tie fighters are fun. Maybe get them by wave they came out in? Stick to the ones that came out in the movies to start off with is not a bad option. So, it depends if you want to go with Firespray, Shuttle, M. Falcon, etc. They are great ways to get lots of points in a list, but I tend to like lots of small ships against each other. B-wings, A-wings, Tie Interceptors are all good to add, as well.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Taylor
Switzerland
Uster
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would second the 2x core sets. This will give you enough to try, play and like the game before investing more.

The Imperial Aces and Rebel Aces are good value for money (IMO), but with 2x core sets, you are already up at €50.

I tend to find that you need more imperial ships, as once you start playing with squad points, it can be difficult to balance. Suddenly 3 rebel ships is hard to balance with only 4 TIEs.

I would love EN language ships for €13.. my FLGS has them for 16-18CHF, If i can find stock, which is v rare in CH at the moment... unless Amazon.de are having a free delivery to Switzerland promotion, but again, EN stock is hard to find for me.

Shame you are not a bit closer, or I'd be happy to help out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So... dollar for dollar (or most likely, euro for euro), starter sets should average just a bit cheaper than buying each ship individually.

However, there are a few things to take into consideration.

1. The single ship expansion for X-wing and Tie Fighter come with different unique pilots and different power cards.

2. You will generally want to have more than 3 of both dice types. (you get more attack dice if ships are close; you get more defense dice if you are further away but still in range, you also get more defense dice if there is an asteroid between the target and the attacker)

3. Standard games are 100 points per team. The average costs of X-wings can be from 21 points to 29 points (and you can add upgrades to each to increase their costs), while Tie Fighters are 12-18 (can also have upgrades added).

With the above in mind, 2 core sets is the way to go. Note: you don't have to play at the 100 point level, that number just gives you an idea of how everyone else plays the game. Also, take into consideration that you may not want to field a whole 100 point list of just Xwings or just Tie Fighters.

With that in mind, the recommendation to try the game out first is an excellent one. If you find you like the game and mechanics, the recommendation stands:

2 core/starters, then 1 of any ships you think sound neat or look like fun to you. You can get ideas about ships by googling "xwing squad builder". Many of those can tell you stats of ships, their pilots and give you listings of upgrade cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can, a second core set is a good deal. Alternatively I would say one core set, an X-Wing, a TIE, and a TIE Advanced. As a stretch, a Y-Wing. That gets you a good variety to play with, and keeps to the theme of what you see in the movies.

Generally I would suggest buying the ships in the order they came out, which can be found on the main X-Wing page here. I'd also like to point out the Falcon is equivalent to 3 or 4 TIE fighters, so when you get that (and you will, it's Han Solo!) you want at least 4 or 5 TIE Fighters/Advance available for the other player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mench
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfect! Thanks for the suggestions and what to look for for online help.

Love CH. Was in Grindelwald (sp?) twice this winter and samedan this past summer! Will be back in May just south of Zurich. I'll stock up for ya!

M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Taylor
Switzerland
Uster
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, we like it here too - I only live 15 mins from Zurich, so yeah, do that - I'll take some off your hands

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Thur
Germany
Weitersburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Michael,

if you try and like the game, there's still enough time two buy a second base set. Another set of rulers and dice are useful but for beginning games one set should be sufficient.

I rather like to try different ships, so I'd recommend

- Base set
- Y-wing, B-wing or another X-wing for the rebels
- Tie advanced or Tie interceptor for the imperials
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mench
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: First small set? - UPDATE
So... thanks everyone. It took a small comic con here in town. As I was teaching Funkenschlag the two little ones were bothering the X-wing guy all day. Finally, "DAD - you HAVE to buy this!!!"

Ok. So X-wing dude helped a bit (it had to center around me buying Millennium Falcon and staying under $100!) and we ended up with...

Death Star play mat (SWEET!!!)
Core Set
TIE Phantom
TIE Advanced
Han's Millennium Falcon

We played it twice that night, all day Sunday and again Monday night!!! Holy smokes, where you been all my life?

I love how even with Han being overpowering, everything in this game is custom. We have an even match 100 points with all our ships. LOVE THAT!!

Next step - another set of dice!

From there???

CaptM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chadwick

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are more pilots in the X-wing and Tie Fighter blisters that aren't in the Core set. I would recommend one of each to get those. It will give you better options. Beyond that? Well, you might need to buy more Imperials as they can be less points. Tie Interceptors and Lambda Shuttles are good. I like Tie Bombers, but a lot of people don't think they are worth it. I think it's all about finding ways to make them work and they are great at taking down Falcons. The Rebels will want B-wings, Y-wings, and A-wings.

Glad everyone loves the game. It's a lot of fun and pretty balanced.

Oh, notice that there was a recent change in how Phantoms play. Read the FAQ. They changed how they decloak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mench
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
heychadwick wrote:
Oh, notice that there was a recent change in how Phantoms play. Read the FAQ. They changed how they decloak.

Got that!! Yes, thanks. PRE-mvt. Interesting - I kind of liked Echo decloaking in turn order after the move... amped up the tension and thematically made sense to me. Plus makes herself vulnerable to more attacks potentially.

Or maybe I'm reading it wrong. I'll go back and make sure.

CaptM
Disclaimer - only been playing 2 days, don't take my word for it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chadwick

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct. Phantom decloaks and then everyone moves. This is a much better scenario for game balance. If you decloaked when it was your turn, it basically gave you a chance to correct any bad choices you made. This overall unbalanced the game as it meant the Phantom could move in so many different directions and if you guessed wrong for movement, you got to auto-fix it with the decloak. It really started to ruin the game in many people's opinion and took away some of the thrill of the game. It also led to many many people taking big, turreted ships as the foil to the Phantom. So, last year's tournament lists were all Falcons vs. Phantoms. It was pretty boring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mench
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well said. my son did whoop me tonight in an epic 2 hour had to stop cause mom was putting dinner on the table match. Was less to do with the phantom and more to do with my luck with the red dice!

I did get the falcon and phantom because I saw them in the final FFG battle on you tube. Must watch some others for some good ideas. Will go get me some alphabet soup wings and let him pick another Imp tomorrow. His birthday is coming up.

M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.