Popular Tags: [View All]
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
In my experience kids roughly between the ages of 6 through... 12-ish seem to be able to smoke me at this game. Is this generally true across the board, or do I just have a really weak memory? The reason I'm curious is because I wonder if the classic memory mechanic could be used to level the playing field in a game where kids play against adults.

Memory

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On average, kids in that age group will have a clear advantage over adults. There are exceptions of course, but more often than not, that will be the case.

For example, my four year old routinely beats me at games like Chicken Cha Cha Cha, and The Magic Labyrinth which are centered around a memory mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It could be a function of this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/1058492...

Quote:
Older people do not decline mentally with age, it just takes them longer to recall facts because they have more information in their brains, scientists believe.

Much like a computer struggles as the hard drive gets full up, so to do humans take longer to access information, it has been suggested.

Their little unclogged memories might fire well faster than older people's.

Pete (is ignorant of any of this but did read this article once)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
It could be a function of this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/1058492...

Quote:
Older people do not decline mentally with age, it just takes them longer to recall facts because they have more information in their brains, scientists believe.

Much like a computer struggles as the hard drive gets full up, so to do humans take longer to access information, it has been suggested.

Their little unclogged memories might fire well faster than older people's.

Pete (is ignorant of any of this but did read this article once)

This certainly seems to resonate with what I've experienced. I think the classic memory mechanic seems like a good way to level the playing field when kids are playing against adults. I've seen other methods (Gulo Gulo comes to mind) but I've been playing with a game design idea for a while now that incorporates the memory mechanic for this reason. It's more or less a simple tactical skirmish game, but you only get units by "summoning" them from the memory pool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I regularly lose spectacularly to my kids at Chicken Cha Cha Cha. My 8 year old usually manages to win 90% of the time beating her 10 year old sister and 6 year old brother.
Once she sees a tile she never forgets where it is.

It can be fairly humbling watching her chicken go round the board in one turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Bigwood
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ClericID wrote:
I regularly lose spectacularly to my kids at Chicken Cha Cha Cha. My 8 year old usually manages to win 90% of the time beating her 10 year old sister and 6 year old brother.

I have a tough time with Chicken Cha Cha Cha, but I regularly beat my kids in normal memory games. I think it's the layout that makes the difference. It's easier for me to remember the tiles when they're laid out in neat rows and columns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bigwood wrote:
ClericID wrote:

I have a tough time with Chicken Cha Cha Cha, but I regularly beat my kids in normal memory games. I think it's the layout that makes the difference. It's easier for me to remember the tiles when they're laid out in neat rows and columns.

I would agree with you but she still manages to trounce me in uniform memory games as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
I certainly hope so.

My memory is for shit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that I can't remember why I walked into a room, someone's name five minutes after I meet them, or where I put my keys, I'm pretty sure a kid could beat me at any memory game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Quote:

I'm am so writing this down for when I have kids.

"Damn brats! My responses are slower because I'm smarter than you! Hold your horses!"

"And get offa my lawn!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.