Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
mbmbmbmbmb
Warning: Spoilers for the end of the chapter.

A few days ago I finished a solo play-through of this chapter and really enjoyed it, but upon entering the Dining Hall at the end I realized that I just barely missed getting into what may have been an unwinnable situation.

The Scare Track was at 3 when I entered the room. Two of those points were from slamming the trunk in the King's Chamber and the third was from flinging cheese in the Kitchen. The cheese wheel was 3/4 full, so two more pieces would trigger the surge.

Scaring the first raider bumped the track to 6 and added 1 cheese to the wheel. Scaring the second sent the track to 9, added 1 cheese, and triggered the surge which disabled the ghost. That left the scare track one short, but knocking the chandelier down was more than enough to put it over the top.

HOWEVER, what happens if, due to bad luck, bad timing, or mismanagement of cheese (too much shooting from the eye holes), that surge had happened before scaring the second raider in the room? Even after knocking down the chandelier, that could put you in a situation where you're short by a space or two on the Scare Track with no apparent way to increase it.

1) Is that effectively an automatic loss, even though you might still have a page or two left before the Hourglass reaches The End?

2) Can you go go back to the Kitchen (after defeating the rats) and rebuild the Ghost?

3) Can you hop up on the table and fling cheese to scare away the remaining raiders like in the Kitchen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you find yourself unable to complete the victory conditions, you lose the chapter. Keep in mind that the scare points are fairly easy to accumulate,, but that the combination of your two objectives is what creates the challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! That's what I suspected was the case.

In other words, if the cheese wheel is close to being full while you're in the kitchen, and you've got at least a page remaining before The End, you may be better off waiting for the surge to trigger before leaving with the ghost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Woelf wrote:
Thanks! That's what I suspected was the case.

In other words, if the cheese wheel is close to being full while you're in the kitchen, and you've got at least a page remaining before The End, you may be better off waiting for the surge to trigger before leaving with the ghost.
Yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.