Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A few questions about this game, which I love:

1 - Do defense effects (-1, -2, no bonus dice, etc.) apply to QB Pressure or Mishap rolls? For example, would a -1 make a bad result with QB pressure more likely? Or would a "All bonus dice lose their BONUS" result take away the bonus-ness of the QB run or completion pressure results? We've played it that the number modifiers don't apply, but that bonus dice losing on the good QB pressure results does apply.

2 - Do Defense effect rolls apply to negative yardage offensive results? Specifically, would an "ALL BONUS" result make the lost yardage on a run result of 5 or 6 bonus dice? Or would a "NO BONUS" result make the bonus dice on a sack result regular dice. My gut instinct is to say no to both of these questions.

3 - With interceptions close to the end zone:
-If the first yard result (for where the pass was intercepted) is high enough to be past -9 yards, is it counted as intercepted at -9 or is it incomplete?
-If the interception is caught deep in the end zone, can the defense choose not to roll their return, receiving a touchback instead?

4 - For punts and kickoffs and such, is touchback awarded at 0 yards, or -1 yards?

I think that's all I've got for now. Thanks for anybody's help in answering these. And again, this is an amazing game!
-Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Smith
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike,

We're so glad your enjoying playing Pizza Box Football. I am happy to provide answers to your questions.

GameMasterX0 wrote:
1 - Do defense effects (-1, -2, no bonus dice, etc.) apply to QB Pressure or Mishap rolls? For example, would a -1 make a bad result with QB pressure more likely? Or would a "All bonus dice lose their BONUS" result take away the bonus-ness of the QB run or completion pressure results? We've played it that the number modifiers don't apply, but that bonus dice losing on the good QB pressure results does apply.

You are playing correctly!

GameMasterX0 wrote:
2 - Do Defense effect rolls apply to negative yardage offensive results? Specifically, would an "ALL BONUS" result make the lost yardage on a run result of 5 or 6 bonus dice? Or would a "NO BONUS" result make the bonus dice on a sack result regular dice. My gut instinct is to say no to both of these questions.

Your gut instincts are correct. Defense effect rolls do not apply to negative yardage offensve results. There is no defense effect that makes yards lost even worse. The "no bonus" effect applies to gain rolls, not to loss rolls. So again, you are correct in your handling of a sack.

GameMasterX0 wrote:
-If the first yard result (for where the pass was intercepted) is high enough to be past -9 yards, is it counted as intercepted at -9 or is it incomplete?
-If the interception is caught deep in the end zone, can the defense choose not to roll their return, receiving a touchback instead?

It is an interception 9 yards deep in the end zone. The defense does have the option not to return the interception and take a touchback. See my post below for more detail.

GameMasterX0 wrote:
4 - For punts and kickoffs and such, is touchback awarded at 0 yards, or -1 yards?

Touchbacks are awarded at 0 yards and deeper.

We hope that you and your friends will get many years of enjoyment from your Pizza Box Football game! Thanks for the well-written review.

All the best,

Erik Smith
On The Line Game Company
The Makers of Pizza Box Football
www.PizzaBoxFootball.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DAVID MERCER
United States
Spanish Fort
AL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eriksmith wrote:
GameMasterX0 wrote:

Again, your treatments are correct.

What was the answer to the first question? Is it intercepted or incomplete? If intercepted, is it intercepted at the -9 or automatic touchback?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Smith
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I am happy to clarify my earlier answer. I will also edit my earlier response and point readers to this post for clarification.

If the yard result for an interception in the end zone is high enough to be past -9 yards, it is counted as an interception 9 yards deep into the end zone.

Before rolling a return, the defense may opt not to return the interception at all and simply begin the next play with the ball from their own 20-yard line.

Otherwise, the defense may opt to return the ball from the -9-yard line. If they don't get back to the 1-yard line, the result of the play is an interception for a touchback. The defense would get to keep the ball and begin their next play from their own 20-yard line.

If the interception is returned to the 1-yard line or further, then the defense will begin their next play at the spot marking the end of the return. For example, on an interception return of [B][B] if the defense had a return of [5][5], they would start their next play from their own 1-yard line.

I hope that this answer was helpful!

All the best,

Erik Smith
On The Line Game Company
The Makers of Pizza Box Football
www.PizzaBoxFootball.com
Our 2006 Expansion is Now Available!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DAVID MERCER
United States
Spanish Fort
AL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eriksmith wrote:
I hope that this answer was helpful!

Yes, very much so. Thank-you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.