Subject: Stoopidly close 4p game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Jester
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
"We have now sunk to a depth at which re-statement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."--George Orwell
mbmbmb
We'd all played LoW before but not as a group. Green informed us before we started that her husband Black was something of an expert due to countless plays on his iPad. She enjoyed the game but had never beaten him and expected another blowout. Duly warned, we began.

I took a first-turn building (from a relatively disappointing spread) that provides Intrigue cards both as action and rent. I hoped to turn all these Intrigue cards into a wealth of extra actions but my hand clogged up with Mandatory Quests. I hate MQs and rarely play them. Besides, competition for Harbor spots was pretty fierce. I shifted focus to early Plot Quests and late game big-point quests.

Red jumped on the extra-worker quest, completed it early, and then followed that up with a Plot Quest that allowed placing on occupied spaces. She had a LOT of extra actions over the course of the game.

Green bent over backward to acquire one building after another, finishing with six. (The presence of the Ambassador helped her out in this regard.) It was pretty obvious which Lord she was playing. She fielded a constant income of points, cash, and cubes.

Black simply played efficiently, taking a best-available-space approach. He had only one building, Intrigued fairly often, and was never the first player. He loaded up on quests and completed them as quickly as possible.

On our last turns, Black and Red completed quests; I bought a building for a 4-point Plot Quest bonus plus 4 gems; and Green tried wiping the quest spread to take advantage of her full Tavern but wasn't lucky enough to pull a completable quest. This proved to be the difference between first and fourth place.

When the dust settled, the final score was ridiculously close:

Black 133
Blue 133
Red 132
Green 132

Black won on the money tiebreaker. Green declared that it was the most satisfying last-place finish she'd ever had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Was Red peppered with mandatory quests as she bragged about her abundance of actions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Jester
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
"We have now sunk to a depth at which re-statement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."--George Orwell
mbmbmb
okami31 wrote:
Was Red peppered with mandatory quests as she bragged about her abundance of actions?

No, but Blue did chuck a grape at her head once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Gunnell
United States
Lilburn
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The last game I played was fairly close, but not thaaat close. We were like 94, 91, 88, 75.

(I was the 88, the wife was the 94)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.