Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Merriman
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ok, my gaming group has played the hell out of the original, despite our semi-warm feelings towards the game balance. We all just want it to be balanced so badly that we play anyway, hoping its gonna be better next time. Our early days of playing were romps for the players, alas, the poor Overlord (usually me) was bent over the counter and violated repeatedly. Trying some scenarios online, the pendulum swung the other way and I ate them alive more often than not. A philosophical argument ensued about what is a balanced win ratio for the overlord. Should he win 50% of the time, or should he win a proportion of times equal to his percentage of the gaming group population (ie 20% in full game)...whatever.
So, we played the cave-in/mine collapse scenario and the players all used expansion characters. They moved through pretty quickly through the first two areas, but learned to fear the ferrox. They are by far the best little monster. The toughness of a razorwing with beastmen attack dice and the insane bleed ability. Sadly, my first four bleeds on the same player all failed to produced any wounds (hmmm 1 in 6 to the 4th chance). I did manage to kill that character (the Shootychick of Bloodstone) and the teleporting mage before they cleared the Ogre room, so that pretty much nullified their conquest tokens gained through glyph activation. They were hurried through that room by a Master Naga I spawned behind them (and the collapsing room as well). The next section is around a bend and full of ferrox and an ogre that I bolstered with a beastman war party. The 16-wound 4-armor (even though he cant wear armor) guy kicked open the door and was promptly beaten savagely by a couple ferroxes(?) and some beastmen. That put them in a very precarious situation as far as conquest tokens go. I then sandbagged, playing defense. I sat the ogre on the unactivated glyph in the room and packed the spaces in front of him with everything I had left. It occurred to the players that they had to kill everything in the way and the ogre AND move into those same spots to avoid being crushed by the collapsing tunnel in two turns...without the meat grinder melee dude who just died, since he was stuck in town. Needless to say they made a valiant effort, but were buried alive. Muhahahahaha. (The RPG GM in me still feels slightly guilty when I win though.)
Second scenario, and a second gimmick dungeon. This one is full of spiders and the characters all start in separate spots where they have just gained consciousness and cut themselves free from web cocoon things. Now, there need to be a FAQ/clarification for this scenario. They all start on different activated glyphs, and the challenge for the mission seems to be 'battle your way forward until you meet up with one another'. If these glyphs are truly activated normal glyphs, they could just pop back to town and assemble wherever they choose. I decided this was against the spirit of the scenario and declared that those glyphs were just representations of the starting points and couldn't be used to go back to town. Ultimately this seems fine, but leads to all sorts of weird questions if they die before they get to another glyph...do they appear back in town? Do the respawn on the glyph? etc...This did occur as I jumped Battlemage Jaes right out of the gate with the deadly ferrox tribe. 4 tokens out of the way...second turn. I really could have pressed my advantage and just killed him over and over by spawning only on him, but like I said before, I feel slightly guilty. Another problem came up when 3 of the 4 characters left the master scarlet spiders alive in their starting areas, I had none to spawn later. The players said it doesn't explicitly state in the rules that I can 'kill off' monsters in order to have models for later in the dungeon, but it does say that I'm limited to the actual model count, no proxies allowed. That is the real problem with running a themed scenario like this one around a certain type of monster...players will screw the Overlord anyway possible. So, the three players who weren't pinned down ran downstairs and I ultimately allowed Battlemage Jaes to go to town after dying and join his mates through a glyph that they actually activated themselves. They ran through the rest of the dungeon, finally ignoring the Queen Spiders 8 armor by bleeding (gee...what a powerful mechanic) and the Spirit Wolf familiar. All in all, a scenario that needs some clarification from FFG to be working correctly.
So, like the sucker I am for Descent (against rational thought), I will trudge on through the new scenarios and remain ever hopeful that playtesting and editing of the rules will improve and that the perfect dungeon crawl is out there somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pg. 12, spawning monsters, in original rules:
"If the overlord player wishes to place a monster on the
board but is already using all of his available figures, he
may choose to remove a monster figure from the board
to make that figure available for immediate placement.
The overlord player simply removes the figure from its
original space on the board and places it in a new space,
following the normal rules for spawning monsters or
placing monsters when a new area is revealed."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N Burghardt
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Jason,

You weren't by chance using ferrox instead of kobolds in the first scenario were you? We messed up in the first room with kobolds and placed ferrox instead. Oops, my heroes were a little peeved with me.blush No worry the problem was corrected when we realized.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Merriman
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You know what, you're absolutely correct about the kobolds, but I stand by my opinion on ferrox being hell on wheels. Ferrox tribe (1 master and 1 regular) costs the same threat as a Razorwing spawn (2 regulars) and the Ferrox are clearly sooo much better.

Yeah, I suspected the rule was in there for picking up monsters already spawned, but my current guilt level at that moment kept me from actually picking up the rulebook myself and looking for it. Damn, I guess I just don't have an evil mastermind inside me, how sad. sauronsauronsauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nburghardt wrote:
Jason,

You weren't by chance using ferrox instead of kobolds in the first scenario were you? We messed up in the first room with kobolds and placed ferrox instead. Oops, my heroes were a little peeved with me.blush No worry the problem was corrected when we realized.

I did this too. That graphic is unclear. I wish they'd put a legend of the pictures/name somewhere so it would be easier to figure out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JB Hunt
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the 2nd scenario last Friday and had the same experience. It was a neat idea, but ended up a little odd. My players made the same bid to meet in town and finish together. It's always fun making up rules on the fly.

"Um, you can't do that."

It's nice FFG is producing a variety of scenarios, but it would be nice to have further clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.