Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big Marvel fan and I have yet to see any games based on the license I truly liked. Marvel Legendary is an OK deck builder game that feels a bit... unthematic. Dice Masters Marvel is a pretty fun game but the CCG nature and cost for the game turned me away after 2 sets. Superhero games now seem... to be not as great. Only ones I truly liked were Sentinel of the Multiverse and Sentinel Tactics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john withers
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I miss it too.

I actually like Dice Masters. Luckily I'm in a position in my adult life to pick up the CCG model. I didn't buy into Overpower the way I wanted.

I'd love to see Overpower come back as an LCG or Deckbuilder. It isn't a perfect game but I'd love to see it on the store shelves again and be able to get a group together to play it. Although, I'd want it to go back to the Marvel 3 power game and not the DC and Image 4 power system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BigIV wrote:
I miss it too.

I actually like Dice Masters. Luckily I'm in a position in my adult life to pick up the CCG model. I didn't buy into Overpower the way I wanted.

I'd love to see Overpower come back as an LCG or Deckbuilder. It isn't a perfect game but I'd love to see it on the store shelves again and be able to get a group together to play it. Although, I'd want it to go back to the Marvel 3 power game and not the DC and Image 4 power system.

I didn't play it as much as I would've liked, since I was like 10 or 11 at the time. Here's something I discovered like the other day, someone went back is reworking the game as a "3rd edition". Marvel set first, then DC.

http://overpower-3rd.deviantart.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daniels
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Overpower is my absolute favorite ccg. It got me into comics (backwards, I know).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S H
United States
Merrillville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played alot of Overpower, still have all my cards. Fun game, but didn't like alot of the art... I also like Sentinels, Legendary AND Dice Masters.

But... as for Marvel card games, Vs. System rocked. Still collecting. Looks to be a re-launch possible soon, too.

For board game, sadly hard to find now, but Marvel Heroes is a GREAT superhero board game! We still play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you still have your sets then its just as playable now as it was then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
If you still have your sets then its just as playable now as it was then.

I don't have my cards anymore sadly. I was thinking of printing out proxies using that Overpower 3rd edition and the basic cards from the old sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Gunnell
United States
Lilburn
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got all of my Characters and most of my Specials and Missions around. Not so much the Universe or Power cards though... most of their art was kinda rough, and after a while they went away to save space (still like the rest).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Fuller
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I managed to save all the cards I had from the DC/JLA Overpower set....think I have all but 10 of 'em still in sleeves and in a binder. I taught my son to play the game last year and it was a blast to play it again. Have a stack of doubles as well that we mostly used. As for games like it, we are big fans of the Legendary games, the heros and the villains. The main attraction is that all the cards you need to play the game are in the box, if you want the expansions, you can get them, but you don't need it to play the game. Comes a time it's a little too much to just get sucked in to having to buy pack after pack after pack of cards just to play the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Merced
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
This year is the 20th anniversary...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder who has rights to the game now. I would think Upper Deck since they bought Fleer. It would be awesome if they could somehow do a limited reboot of the game into a LCG or Boardgame format for Marvel Overpower.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules? Fleer and whomever absorbed them. Their contracts tended to be total rather than board game temp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Fuller
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if this has been posted somewhere before, but if it's rules you are looking for this site was helpful:

http://overpower.ca/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I miss OverPower too. There's actually a decent (but very small) community online still holding events, making new cards and doing what they can to keep the game alive.

Personally, I'm only one card away from a complete set of OverPower. Only took me 20 years...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KkrakK wrote:
Not sure if this has been posted somewhere before, but if it's rules you are looking for this site was helpful:

http://overpower.ca/

This will be useful. I just managed to get 4 sealed starters for cheap
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Fuller
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! Glad it came in handy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jon hernandez
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Kalel42 wrote:
I miss OverPower too. There's actually a decent (but very small) community online still holding events, making new cards and doing what they can to keep the game alive.

Personally, I'm only one card away from a complete set of OverPower. Only took me 20 years...
which card are you missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vlame wrote:
Kalel42 wrote:

which card are you missing?

Captain Britain: Supersonic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolette Tanksley
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ran into a whole box full of Overpower cards a couple weeks ago. I grabbed it up with glee. There were a bunch of VS. System cards in there as well so I might give that a try. Legendary looks good...I want to play it. I just got Marvel heroes a couple months ago and tried to play it, but it has so many different decks of cards that we found it confusing. I'll play some videos first and then try again. We often play Heroclix which I find to be the best superhero game yet. It is expensive because of the blind boosters, but some sets are stand alone and quite good. Also older sets become cheaper quickly as they go out of legal tournament play after about 2 or 3 years. There's lots of variability in powers and cool minis!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Bat
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man do I miss this game. I used to have all the cards, but must have gotten rid of them somewhere along the line. I have been looking to buy some lots or a collection, but there don't seem to be too many out there right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
batman15 wrote:
Man do I miss this game. I used to have all the cards, but must have gotten rid of them somewhere along the line. I have been looking to buy some lots or a collection, but there don't seem to be too many out there right now.

Most of them have really dried up. I came back to the game in 2008 or 2009 and was able to buy boxes for all of the sets but Image, but I think the supplies are pretty much gone. It's a shame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jon hernandez
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dimmendarkgirl wrote:
I ran into a whole box full of Overpower cards a couple weeks ago. I grabbed it up with glee. There were a bunch of VS. System cards in there as well so I might give that a try. Legendary looks good...I want to play it. I just got Marvel heroes a couple months ago and tried to play it, but it has so many different decks of cards that we found it confusing. I'll play some videos first and then try again. We often play Heroclix which I find to be the best superhero game yet. It is expensive because of the blind boosters, but some sets are stand alone and quite good. Also older sets become cheaper quickly as they go out of legal tournament play after about 2 or 3 years. There's lots of variability in powers and cool minis!

none of overpower's cards became tournament illegal. they all had use, if you wanted to use them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.