Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
1- 2- 3- 4!- A- A- 5!
badge
110% Rally
mbmbmbmbmb
This game attracted my attention when I saw the 1-2 players in the information section.
I always enjoy a solo war game and this one is an interesting genre as well.
However I have looked through the English rule book and did not see any suggestions or rules on how to play it solo.
Have I missed something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Sperling
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An opponent isn't simulated by the game rules. So there's no "AI". You have to play both sides for solitaire play.
However, no hidden information, the unpredictability of Activation/Movement rolls and the relatively straightforward "play style" of the Aliens makes it highly solitaire suitable.

Especially for solo play I would recommend Scenario 6, where the Aliens must destroy 1 of 3 transmitters. The arrival of Alien reinforcements in this scenario is determined with 2D6 each turn anew. This adds another "surprise factor" for solo play. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Austin
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
1- 2- 3- 4!- A- A- 5!
badge
110% Rally
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the excellent and quick response.
I really appreciate your decision to have no hidden information and easily allow a player to control both sides.

I look forward to giving it a go.
thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Sperling
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I made the game mainly for personal use and as I play all my games solo only, solitaire suitability was a high priority. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Sperling
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some more thoughts on solo play:

I considered a very simple AI for the Aliens once; basically they would move to the closest enemy unit and attack. However, while testing the game it became apparent that it was too easy for the Reich Player to exploit this very simple system and I found out that there's more to the Aliens than just to move in and attack.

While the Aliens play style is indeed "straightforward", there are some things to consider:
They should reduce their distance to the target by using cover or staying out of range and hope for a good Movement Roll if no cover is available.
An example:

Lets assume the Alien Worms have only 2 Movement Points this turn. Of course it would be fatal to simply move them closer to the target. The Mountain Troops would attack with 2 Light Dice and 1 reroll. The chance to get killed is at least 48 %. The chance to get weakened is at 70 %.
Maybe at least 2 Alien Worms could try a more direct approach and move adjacent, as the Mountain Troops can only concentrate on 1 Alien Worm.

However, the Alien Worms should move out of sight and on the next turn they can move into the mountain hex and use it as cover, or maybe they get 4 MPs next turn!? Once in the mountain hex, the distance to the Mountain Troops is only 2 hexes, with 3 MPs required to attack them.
While the probability for the Alien Worms to get 4 MPs is ca. 31 %, the chance to get 3 MPs is at least 56 %.
They are pretty save in the mountain hex too because of the defense bonus: the Mountain Troops have only a chance of 8 % to outright eliminate them.

When deciding which unit to attack with the Aliens, I would choose the unit who has the least Armor Value and is the highest threat. Haunebu's are always a desired target.

All that depends on other factors, like Mission Objectives, time limits etc., of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Austin
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
1- 2- 3- 4!- A- A- 5!
badge
110% Rally
mbmbmbmbmb
You would need to check the rules but I am wondering if Neuschwabenland would be eligible for the 2015 Solitaire Print and Play Contest ???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Sperling
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ShaunGamer wrote:
You would need to check the rules but I am wondering if Neuschwabenland would be eligible for the 2015 Solitaire Print and Play Contest ???

Thank you for the tip. I never payed attention to the contests...
Have to look into it. I'd have to make an "AI" for one side, though, to make it "fully" solitaire.

Btw: I've submitted a correction for the game. The number of players is adjusted now: 2 instead of 1-2.
I've considered the change after receiving a mail. The specification of 1-2 players can be misleading.
Even though playing multiplayer wargames solo is quite common, It would require an "AI" for one side to be declared as a game for 1 player.
Yes, I think the game description is more accurate: A 2 player game, highly suitable for solitaire play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.