Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christine Biancheria
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trying to learn this game. But I'm baffled about the destruction deck. When and how is it used?

Also, when and how are artifacts gained?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Harre
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I had that question about the destruction deck as well,. It is, as far as I can tell, used solely to mark destroyed regions. Cover the text on the destroyed region with a face down card from the Destruction Deck.You get artifacts by defending against the Dire Enemies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
urticaferox wrote:
I had that question about the destruction deck as well,. It is, as far as I can tell, used solely to mark destroyed regions. Cover the text on the destroyed region with a face down card from the Destruction Deck.You get artifacts by defending against the Dire Enemies.

This is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Biancheria
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the help. Where does it say you get an artifact for defending against a dire enemy? I don't disbelieve you; I'm just wondering why I'm not figuring things out with this rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
urticaferox wrote:
I had that question about the destruction deck as well,. It is, as far as I can tell, used solely to mark destroyed regions. Cover the text on the destroyed region with a face down card from the Destruction Deck.

Calling it a "deck" was a mistake. That confused us as well. Just call them "the remaining cards" or the like. (Admittedly, it's a tricky description: they are in the game, but not really.) Maybe these cards are just "put back in the box", and when a region is destroyed, you mark it "with a card from the box."

Artifact from Dire Enemies is given in the second paragraph on page 7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey madscientist
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
I too had these same issues and kept reading and rereading the rule book over and over.

It's not that the rules are difficult, but in my opinion that rulebook needs some work. I would have liked to have seen it more linear, if that makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Biancheria
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree completely on the linear thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Franklin
United States
Clinton
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if it's because I followed along with details throughout the KS, but I didn't have any issues. I never played the PnP or anything, so my first time actually seeing the game was when my copy came in the mail. I read the rulebook and was able to play really without any issues or questions (other than a few things on how certain abilities reacted with others that someone started a FAQ for). Overall, I thought it was put together pretty well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Qunell
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GaryP wrote:
urticaferox wrote:
I had that question about the destruction deck as well,. It is, as far as I can tell, used solely to mark destroyed regions. Cover the text on the destroyed region with a face down card from the Destruction Deck.

Calling it a "deck" was a mistake. That confused us as well. Just call them "the remaining cards" or the like. (Admittedly, it's a tricky description: they are in the game, but not really.) Maybe these cards are just "put back in the box", and when a region is destroyed, you mark it "with a card from the box."

I agree. That section of the rulebook confused me as well and kept trying to figure out what the destruction deck was and how to construct the turn deck.

And this is coming from someone who had the early prototype of the game! I found the prototype rules were easier to understand when it came to putting the deck together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
HawkFan wrote:
GaryP wrote:
urticaferox wrote:

I agree. That section of the rulebook confused me as well and kept trying to figure out what the destruction deck was and how to construct the turn deck.

And this is coming from someone who had the early prototype of the game! I found the prototype rules were easier to understand when it came to putting the deck together.

I had to "re-write" the rule book to make sure I wasn't missing the same things over and over. Turns out the rules (minus setup instructions) fit on a 3x5 note card and don't even fill it up all the way. Much easier to learn the game that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Folsom
United States
Wilmore
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually can't quite figure out how to 'defeat' epic enemies or how to get artifacts. Is it just "get on that spot and defend" to get an artifact?
The enemies (dire or otherwise) don't stay on the region right? They just make the threat go up and that's it? So...what's the big threat about dire enemies who only show up in 1 spot? Seems like they're actually less of a threat as the 2 enemy cards.

If you defend on them, are they removed from the turn deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
themaster408 wrote:
I actually can't quite figure out how to 'defeat' epic enemies or how to get artifacts. Is it just "get on that spot and defend" to get an artifact?
The enemies (dire or otherwise) don't stay on the region right? They just make the threat go up and that's it? So...what's the big threat about dire enemies who only show up in 1 spot? Seems like they're actually less of a threat as the 2 enemy cards.

If you defend on them, are they removed from the turn deck?

Hi Eric,

I'd love to help out. To defeat the Epic Foe you must first position your hero in the region where the foe is; then you may spend action points to fight. For each action point spent, 1 damage is delt to the foe. Each foe has 10 hit points.

To obtain an artifact, you must successfully defend a Dire Enemy. To defend, you must already be in the region the enemy is attacking and must lose a hit point. For dire enemies, you lose 2 hit points, unless otherwise noted on the dire enemies' card. This prevents the region threat from rising and prevents the dire enemies ability, unless otherwise stated on the dire enemies' card. The artifact would be drawn immediately and belongs to the player who drew it. It cannot be given to other players. The dire enemy card is added to the discard pile and will be shuffled back into the turn deck at the end of the round.

Keep an eye on those dire enemies, they can make or break the game!

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ummm...2 hit points must be sacrificed to defeat a Dire Enemy, correct sir?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I omitted that an important sentence. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.