Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Where can I get another blue attack die? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Having a number of expansions, we've got plenty of all the dice except that darn single blue one.

I don't really want to pay $10 for a whole new set of dice that I don't need. Can I get just a second blue die somewhere for less than that? I am a selfish overlord and I want my own.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herbert Bolanos
United States
Bell
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow, that is quite unfortunate that you lost your blue die *wink*. Email customer service at Fantasy Flight, tell them that you "lost" your die, and hopefully they will be nice and send your replacement die. I really have lost a few components here and there for their games, and they have sent me replacements. Fantasy flight has really awesome customer service.Good luck!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I'd recommend you buy the dice pack. I very much enjoy having a full extra set, and if you've got multiple expansions, it's not like you don't have the $10 for the dice.

If money is in fact an issue, there are several apps that roll descent dice nicely- maybe that's blasphemy here.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose it can't hurt to ask, although their replacement policy says they don't replace things that you lose or break yourself.

If that doesn't work I'll have to see if the birthday santa finally gets me the dice set off my amazon wish list next month

Apps are fine in general, but for Descent specifically we all love the satisfying sounds of the dice tower. It makes all the misses and big hits more satisfying for some reason.

Thanks for the suggestions!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
Nothing to see here. Please move on
badge
It's about time!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have quite a few blue dice due to having some of the "nice" versions produced for FFG's game nights.

I am happy to send you a die, but I am not sure of the likely postage cost from the UK. So I need to check first. Geekmail me if you are interested.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Penny Press Kickstarter: 1,284 backers - $60,376! Amazing! Thank you!!!
badge
Play Penny Press!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Xenosoldier108 wrote:
Wow, that is quite unfortunate that you lost your blue die *wink*. Email customer service at Fantasy Flight, tell them that you "lost" your die, and hopefully they will be nice and send your replacement die. I really have lost a few components here and there for their games, and they have sent me replacements. Fantasy flight has really awesome customer service.Good luck!


Please don't commit fraud and abuse the generous replacement policies the publishers have in place. If you do, and everyone else does, then these will disappear.

My advice is to buy the dice pack on sale somewhere.
20 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ciaran M
United Kingdom
Co. Down
UK
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RobertDD wrote:


Please don't commit fraud and abuse the generous replacement policies the publishers have in place. If you do, and everyone else does, then these will disappear.

My advice is to buy the dice pack on sale somewhere.


Seconded!

When someone/company shows genuinely great customer service and a generous "no fuss" replacement policy, please, PLEASE don't take advantage of it for your own personal whims & gains, and certainly don't encourage or entice it.

We really don't need or want a *wink* *wink* attitude that could damage future, genuine customer service & generosity.

Perhaps get your group to all club in and pay the $10 for the full set? Then you will also be covered for any future dice losses of a different colour.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Morehouse
United States
Redlands
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Seriously! Don't lie about losing parts!!

The die pack comes up every once and while one Ebay for a reduced price. I would lurk around for a while and grab it.

Plus, its really handy having all the extra defense die. I appreciate those a lot more than the blue one.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
These are good points. Although I'm not sure I understand how a no fuss replacement policy for defective materials is "generous". It's really the least you should expect from any company that sells fairly expensive games to freely and easily replace defective bits.

Of course if everyone that bought Descent decided they wanted a second blue die "just because", and requested one with a "my dog ate it", I don't know what would happen. Maybe FFG would just start including one in the base game at some point, or change the policy to allow the purchase of just that item for a very small fee. You never know what a company will do. I leave the decision to each person's conscience.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
They already made the decision to offer a full set of base game replacement dice for $10. If that's too exorbitant for you, well, I'm sorry. Like I said, there are free apps that get the job done- they even make sounds.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
zaltyre wrote:
They already made the decision to offer a full set of base game replacement dice for $10. If that's too exorbitant for you, well, I'm sorry. Like I said, there are free apps that get the job done- they even make sounds.


lol, it's not really about that. I'm not sure if I hit a nerve with my previous reply but I didn't mean to... I'm not faulting FFG for not giving me more dice for free or anything... I was just speculating on what might happen if "everyone did it" as was suggested above.

It's great that FFG has developed a reputation for providing good customer service, but it makes me sad that providing what I would consider an absolute minimum level of service (e.g. replacing defective or missing parts from new products) seems to be a cut above the norm.

I certainly don't fault them for not wanting to try and sell individual dice on the chance that a few weirdos like me want just the one instead of buying a handful of extras for a pretty small price.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JK777 wrote:
I have quite a few blue dice due to having some of the "nice" versions produced for FFG's game nights.

I am happy to send you a die, but I am not sure of the likely postage cost from the UK. So I need to check first. Geekmail me if you are interested.


That's very generous of you!

I'm going to take the advice offered here and bug my game group to contribute to buying a second set. It's the least they can do since I've already paid for the 5 or so expansions I have now
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Bishop
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
oddbod wrote:
lol, it's not really about that. I'm not sure if I hit a nerve with my previous reply but I didn't mean to... I'm not faulting FFG for not giving me more dice for free or anything... I was just speculating on what might happen if "everyone did it" as was suggested above.

It's great that FFG has developed a reputation for providing good customer service, but it makes me sad that providing what I would consider an absolute minimum level of service (e.g. replacing defective or missing parts from new products) seems to be a cut above the norm.

I certainly don't fault them for not wanting to try and sell individual dice on the chance that a few weirdos like me want just the one instead of buying a handful of extras for a pretty small price.


To me, the respectable thing about their customer service isn't that they give you things you should have, but that they do it (relatively) painlessly and don't charge you shipping to do so. Keeping THAT in mind, it's obvious what would happen if "everyone did it." They would charge shipping, or they would stop offering the service at all, because there's simply no way the company could survive while spending $2-5 extra per game purchase. Per-unit margins for them are slim enough already.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Penny Press Kickstarter: 1,284 backers - $60,376! Amazing! Thank you!!!
badge
Play Penny Press!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A few years ago I took my StarCraft board game to a local con to play it during an all night session. 8 months later or so I took it out for another game (I love SC but it is too big to hit the table often) and found that some cardboard components were missing.

I wrote FFG and told them exactly what had happened and asked them if there was a way for me to purchase the missing cardboard components, or even a replacement set of cardboard. They replaced the components for me.

That is the service that the in this thread suggested dishonesty would kill. This kind of service is currently the norm in the board game industry. Publishers, not just FFG, go above and beyond to make sure a satisfactory game experience is to be had by all customers. Don't ruin it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
oddbod wrote:
Having a number of expansions, we've got plenty of all the dice except that darn single blue one.

I don't really want to pay $10 for a whole new set of dice that I don't need. Can I get just a second blue die somewhere for less than that? I am a selfish overlord and I want my own.

What about the brown and black die

The expansions only provide green dice if I remember (at least for the Descent 2nd Edition Expansions).

The base game comes with...
1 Blue, Brown and Black dice
2 Red, Yellow and Grey dice

One expansion comes with 1 Green die and two expansions comes with 2 Green dice.

Personally, I find having a "complete set" (of 11 dice) for the OL and for the Heroes a practical compromise.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PM with your address. I have like 6 blue die and we rarely play the game that much anymore. Hell I will send you an entire die pack if you want, no charge, I will even pay for shipping.
1 
 Thumb up
50.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hoisington
United States
flag msg tools
Get a piece of paper and a pencil.

write 1-6 on one side and the symbols from the blue die on the other.
roll-consult chart

Total cost .02

Or,

You could get some small stickers and draw the symbols on them and stick them on a spare die.

finally,

They are 6.99 and coolstuff

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/main_search.php?pa=searchOnName&...

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mustardayonnaiz wrote:
PM with your address. I have like 6 blue die and we rarely play the game that much anymore. Hell I will send you an entire die pack if you want, no charge, I will even pay for shipping.


That's very generous of you! Recycling ftw. Thanks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Received the dice today, thanks!

This whole conversation inspired me to create a dice tower app for Android with Descent dice.

Of course, I have plenty of real dice now and will stick to the two dice towers we have for our sessions (one for the OL and one for those meddling heroes).

But I've been looking for an excuse to make my first mobile app. It's in beta now
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.