Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oberly
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FitL is my wargame of the year, the other two aren't really wargames as most of the people in this forum view them. (I realize that some wouldn't regard FitL as a wargame, either) I have The Battle of Five Armies, and I think it's a very good game, but not a historical wargame. (obviously) I have not played 1944: Race to the Rhine, but I do know it's more of a euro/ hybrid with a historical theme than a wargame - again, as most in this forum view them.

Looks like a pretty typical BGG best wargames award. It is what it is, and it doesn't bother me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yodlaf Peterson
United States
Ohio and West Texas
Пиндостан
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My own "Sergio" for the best wargame(s) of 2014 goes to:

The Finnish Trilogy (MikuGames)

Runner-up: Yellow Jack (Red Sash Games)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Ruza
Canada
Elmira
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is an accurate representation of what the majority of BGG users like and think are wargames. I am pleased that the publishers, designers and artists of those games were recognized for a job well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fire in the Lake is a well-deserved winner, but I would have liked to see Heroes of Normandie in the top-3 as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fitl....totally over rated imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I said it in the main thread and I'll paraphrase it here, I now have the same respect for the Golden Geek awards as I do for the Mensa Awards for best board games.

But now onto my thoughts for the wargame category. FitL is a good game, certainly no worse than the previous three COIN games that have preceded it. But it's been done before and as such I don't think it provides anything revolutionary or evolutionary to the genre.

I'll say the same about tBoFA. It's an excellent 2-player game using tried and true mechanics from WotR. It does a great job of immersing you in the battle and provides tough choices in card/hand management.

Race to the Rhine is a Weuro in my book. Perhaps even more on the Euro side. WWII theme alone does not make a wargame. But them's probably fightin words for another hundred threads on what defines a wargame.

I think my choice would have gone to Codeword Cromwell: The German Invasion of England, 8 June 1940 or perhaps even Warfighter: The Tactical Special Forces Card Game. There's a game that's managed to take the solo wargame down to a tactical team level with some innovative game mechanism evolved from the DVG commander series. As for multi-player wargaming, I might have even gone with 1714: The Case of the Catalans which uses the CDG mechanics but has interesting ways to increase/decrease your will to fight which in turn affects you options. Again, innovation as well as a lesser covered war topic.

Anyway, FWIW, there's my 2 cents worth. Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R K
Canada
Amherst
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I must be missing something, I don't see any wargames on that list...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My vote for 2014 would go to Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe. I'm sure
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
would agree.

It's definitely a wargame, I think it's way more fun than COIN (although I haven't played FitL), and since FitL is the fourth COIN-game, USE is much more innovative too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have a agree with the previous expressed sentiment that it fits with what I would expect from this site, which is dedicated to board games in general and not wargames specifically. At least FitL won, I'd have been more disappointed if either of the runners up had. That said, I was pretty bummed out when I saw the selection for voting, so I was pretty sure I'd be unimpressed with the result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb
wernervoss wrote:
I'd have a agree with the previous expressed sentiment that it fits with what I would expect from this site, which is dedicated to board games in general and not wargames specifically. At least FitL won, I'd have been more disappointed if either of the runners up had. That said, I was pretty bummed out when I saw the selection for voting, so I was pretty sure I'd be unimpressed with the result.

At the risk of just being an echo, my thoughts match very closely those of Andrew. It's bothered me in the past but now I accept it's just a feature of life on BGG.

I haven't bought FitL as something about the way my brain is wired up makes the COIN series a struggle rather than a pleasure - I respect the design rather than enjoy it. I did watch Mark Herman's video on it and that was a lot of fun, but mainly because he's a really interesting guy to listen to. I'd play it if I was asked though.

Battle of the Five Armies looked okay but I don't have a strong interest in fantasy so I took a pass on that one.

I have played a couple of games of RttR and while I think it's a well-designed games and almost bought it just because it looks so beautiful, it is definitely on the euro side and I felt a lack of engagement with the way conflict was resolved - essentially matching them with certain types of supply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R K
Canada
Amherst
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Though it doesn't meet my criteria of a wargame, I would be interested in trying a COIN game, possibly A Distant Plain because I'm interested in the topic. They must be good games on some level given the success.

But a big part of me just doesn't get Volko Ruhnke...am I alone here? I don't care for Wilderness War at all, and a big part of me rails at the thought of COIN as some kind of generic abstract system that is being re-skinned to death. Afghanistan, Vietnam, Cuba, the Gallic Wars...seriously? I can't wait to see the next GMT Panzer module on the War of the Roses.

Someone sell me on COIN, I want to like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So essentially, the top three finishers in this year's GG wargame voting were two euros and an ameritrash game. Par for the course, I'd say.

Note - I like ameritrash games and have been known to play the occasional euro, so I have nothing against those genres.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luka Kovač Plavi
Croatia
Našice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a distant plain a while ago, still didnt manage to play it, but why does any wargamer need to be encouraged to try the COIN?

It is asymmetrical 4 player game about guerilla warfare, with innovative design, and covers very interesting topics (see what i did there ) - whats not to like?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Martino
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rykirk wrote:
I must be missing something, I don't see any wargames on that list...

YEP!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
So essentially, the top three finishers in this year's GG wargame voting were two euros and an ameritrash game. Par for the course, I'd say.

Note - I like ameritrash games and have been known to play the occasional euro, so I have nothing's against those genres.

I wouldn't say FitL is a euro by any commonly accepted definition of the term. I don't think anyone would even think of calling COIN-games euros if they didn't have wooden components.

I have no problem calling FitL a wargame, I just think there were published better wargames in 2014.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rykirk wrote:
a big part of me rails at the thought of COIN as some kind of generic abstract system that is being re-skinned to death. Afghanistan, Vietnam, Cuba, the Gallic Wars...seriously?

"re-skinned" makes it sound like there are no differences between the games' rule systems, just slapping on different art.

I don't see the core COIN system being used and mutated in different games as being any different from e.g. traditional hex-and-counter concepts (movement points & terrain costs, odds-based CRTs, etc) being used in different games. Are various e.g. tactical Civil War, US Revolution, Napoleonic, Ancient etc games all just generic abstract systems being re-skinned to death?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oivind22 wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:

Note - I like ameritrash games and have been known to play the occasional euro, so I have nothing's against those genres.

I wouldn't say FitL is a euro by any commonly accepted definition of the term. I don't think anyone would even think of calling COIN-games euros if they didn't have wooden components.

I agree; the weird "not a real wargame, it's just a euro" statements about FitL remind of similar comments about Fighting Formations: Grossdeutschland Motorized Infantry Division, which seemed similarly motivated by its use of wooden cubes for its initiative system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Чебурашка, ты настоящий друг!
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
Scheiß Inselaffen!
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
rykirk wrote:
a big part of me rails at the thought of COIN as some kind of generic abstract system that is being re-skinned to death. Afghanistan, Vietnam, Cuba, the Gallic Wars...seriously?

"re-skinned" makes it sound like there are no differences between the games' rule systems, just slapping on different art.

I don't see the core COIN system being used and mutated in different games as being any different from e.g. traditional hex-and-counter concepts (movement points & terrain costs, odds-based CRTs, etc) being used in different games. Are various e.g. tactical Civil War, US Revolution, Napoleonic, Ancient etc games all just generic abstract systems being re-skinned to death?

That's a fair point, but in the case of Cuba Libre, for example, I've seen the opinion expressed that the Syndicate and Directorio factions have been rather boosted in terms of the importance in order to give sides that are roughly equivalent to those in Andean Abyss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Salo sila wrote:
russ wrote:
rykirk wrote:

That's a fair point, but in the case of Cuba Libre, for example, I've seen the opinion expressed that the Syndicate and Directorio factions have been rather boosted in terms of the importance in order to give sides that are roughly equivalent to those in Andean Abyss.

That seems a separate issue from whether the games are just the same rulesets "re-skinned". (I haven't played Cuba Libre, and I have no idea about whether the game factions's strengths are realistic or not.) (And are there really no "real" / traditional wargames which boosted one side's strength a bit somehow for play balance purposes?)

I know just from reading the FitL forums that there are a variety of rule differences between the COIN games, e.g. I believe that the North Vietnamese army is the first insurgent army which also has regular troops in the series. And various operations & special actions & other rules are different among the games (sometimes causing confusion for people who already know one and bring their assumptions while learning another).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
rykirk wrote:
But a big part of me just doesn't get Volko Ruhnke...am I alone here? I don't care for Wilderness War at all, and a big part of me rails at the thought of COIN as some kind of generic abstract system that is being re-skinned to death. Afghanistan, Vietnam, Cuba, the Gallic Wars...seriously? I can't wait to see the next GMT Panzer module on the War of the Roses.

Someone sell me on COIN, I want to like it.

You don't need to be "sold" on it. Stop trying so hard. You don't like it. There are plenty of other wargames out there. Play ones that you enjoy and don't have to be "convinced" that they there is some mystical deeper meaning that you are missing.

And yeah, I agree with you about COIN: the French can "win" the American Revolution? Yeah.... COIN isn't about insurgencies. It's a way to paste a 4-player Euro game of King of the Hill on to a different map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
oivind22 wrote:

I have no problem calling FitL a wargame, I just think there were published better wargames in 2014.

Characteristics of a Eurogame:

1) A well-balanced mechanic with a theme pasted on top as an afterthought. Often, the theme is an abstraction, used as a means of teaching the mechanic.

Why is it if my faction acted on the last card that I can't act on the next card? Never before has a side doubled-down its resources for a big push? See that part about the abstracted theme used to teach the mechanic.

Is a theme pasted on to it? Well let's see, isn't that in every COIN game?

Don't they all involve controlling an area by having more pieces than all of the other factions put together? And isn't that factored into one of the faction's victory conditions?

Don't they all involve some type of support for or against and that value (x2, x1, or x0) multiplied by the population of that region and that factor determines one of the side's victory conditions?

Here, a picture speaks a thousand words: I posted this picture over on a discussion on the Game Box to demonstrate that this is just a theme pasted over the mechanic. Look at how these are pictures basically show the same thing in 2 different games:

I played Cuba Libre and then I played FitL and it felt like I played the same game. They were as "different" from each other as Ticket to Ride and Ticket to Ride: Europe.

#2) No Player Elimination. All players stay in the game until the end and then you sum up victory points.

Yup.

#3) Dull as hell.

Yep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:

And yeah, I agree with you about COIN: the French can "win" the American Revolution?

Of course they can.

All they need to do is beat the British with their American proxy army as IRL and NOT go bankrupt in the process.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who enjoys both euros and wargames, I must say I view these threads in a similar way to mac vs. Windows threads - an opportunity for me to eye-roll at both sides!

Do continue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Pipersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats to all the winners.

I love FITL, but I'm sorry to see Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe didn't make the list.

BTW, all this arguing about "is it a euro or is it a wargame" is silly and counterproductive. You either like it or you don't, and it's fine either way.

I never understood why people feel the need to trash something they don't like when it is purely a matter of personal taste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.