Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Hamel
United States
Pacific
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So my wife LOVEs Lords of Waterdeep, and now she is saying she wants to take the next step.
She primarily likes medium-light games like Abyss, Ticket to ride, Catan, Carcassonne, Five Tribes and Splendor.
So, I am looking for a 'next-step' from Lords of Waterdeep for her.

Any ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abe
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may want to try asking this in the Recommendations forum for more replies. Or actually do a subject search in that forum for "worker placement" first, because I know this is an often asked question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Williams
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mb
How about The Castles of Burgundy. It's a bit plain to look at but is a good worker placement game.

EDIT: I was corrected as COB is not a worker placement game, oops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Drake
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ElGrandeMelon wrote:
How about The Castles of Burgundy. It's a bit plain to look at but is a good worker placement game.

Great game... but do people really consider that a worker placement game?

My suggestion would be Snowdonia. Great replayability and highlights the worker-placement mechanic in one of the most stereotypical but good ways (lots of tension when picking actions).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Phillips
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Stone Age for medium-light worker placement.

I've only played it solo but for something a little heavier you could look at Lewis & Clark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Brogdon
United States
Moscow
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If Lords of Waterdeep is your benchmark, the next step up would be Yedo. Like LOW you are placing your workers to complete mission cards but it is longer and heavier. It adds a short auction phase, a city watch token that essentially closes off parts of the board at different times but can be influenced by the players, and a deck of event cards that give each round a new bit of flair (would recommend playing without the "samurai" level event cards though). The feel is very much like LOW but with more meat on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I consider Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery (currently on Kickstarter) one of the really great worker-placement games. And a step up from Waterdeep (which I also enjoy very much).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel West
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's just two players, then check out Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small, especially with the two expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Vallerand
Canada
St-Basile-Le-Grand
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If she doesn't mind math, Russian Railroads is a solid one, but with calculations to do every turn which turn some off.

Rococo is a WP where your workers have special abilities, and are represented by cards. It's WP meets deck building.

Third proposition is Targi, a solid WP for two players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

No
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Connell
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BaBang wrote:
ElGrandeMelon wrote:

My suggestion would be Snowdonia. Great replayability and highlights the worker-placement mechanic in one of the most stereotypical but good ways (lots of tension when picking actions).

It's not worker placement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quazi Kenshin
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
OPACY
badge
{^,^} meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're looking for something recent, I am really enjoying Argent: the Consortium.

It has a great theme which fits the mechanics. Argent also comes with a TON of customizable options. However, if a ton of customizable options isn't enough, there is already a great expaansion, Argent: Mancers of the University that plops another truckload of modular features onto your table.

I also recommend Agricola, Le Havre, Kanban: Automotive Revolution, or Troyes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm. Midweight worker placement game is a bit of an odd one.

Keyflower, maybe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Seifert
United States
Little Canada
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seconding All Creatures Big and Small and Stone Age. There is always it's big brother Agricola as well; the family game should be simple enough.

Village is a worker placement game mechanically even if you don't physically place workers.

I have a fondness for Tribune.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Brown
United Kingdom
Bicester
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowdonia would be my vote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Harrison
United States
Beavercreek
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy Coal Baron at around that level. While the core is worker placement, it has some other mechanics as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Taylor
United Kingdom
Epping
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Le Havre is a good middle-weight WP game, but in all honesty it depends a lot on what kind of themes and mechanics she likes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter B
Australia
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Belfort ould be well worth a look. It's got a worker placement mechanism but is primarily an area control game so it'll give you something different. I also think one of Stefan Feld's games like Castles of Burgundy or Notre Dame would be a very good choice. Good luck deciding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RCH RCH
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Class of 2004
badge
It's not Jackie Chan!
mbmbmbmbmb
Caverna: The Cave Farmers and Agricola are both very good. Caverna has a few more rules to grasp with the whole expedition mechanism, but is a bit easier to play in the sense that you aren't always struggling to feed your family. Also, I find it's easier to evolve a strategy in Caverna as you aren't getting different random cards at the start of each game. I like both.

But my top suggestion for a next level worker placement game would be Lancaster. The game doesn't get enough love.
I really like that you have ways of upgrading your workers to a higher level. Higher level workers can then bump lower level workers off of their spots. This leads to a bit more direct confrontation, so if she doesn't like that, then this game is probably not for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafaël Theunis
Belgium
Antwerpen
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I myself am a huge worker placement fan, so here are my all time faves, from light to heavy:

Stone age
Alba Longa
Pillars of the earth(with expansion)
Belfort (and the expansion)
Endeavor
Age of Empires: the age of discovery
Francis Drake
Giants
Vasco Da Gama
Carson City
Lewis and Clark
Tzolk'in and the expansion
Crafstmen
Caylus
Alchemists
De vulgari Eloquantia
Madeira
Kanban

I know this list is long! but it was really hard to choose as is :) If I had to pick three, I'd go for Caylus, Carson City and Tzolk'in
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Space Trucker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite at the moment is Dungeon Lords - a very thematic workerplacement game, very nice illustrations, humerous, less dry than just counting points. Plays best with 4 player though and maybe the theme is too geeky?

A classic Workerplacement Game with excellent material and which won many prices lately is Russian Railroads.

Caylus and Tzolkin are also a very popular and nice choise!

Very thematic, cooperative workerplacement is found in Robinson Crusoe (great, but definitly needs some time to work into the fat rulebook).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moray Grant
United Kingdom
Dyce
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some great suggestions above.

I recently played The Ancient Worldwhich I thought was a great step up from Lords in that it had several similarities but done quite differently. It has unique buildings but instead of placing them you create a personal city for yourself with unique abilities from the cards. It has set collection but does it differently to Lords. The blocking mechanics are different but still there and has the titans and armies that are pretty unique. It is also a bit more competitive for spaces than Lords so bear this in mind if you want fiercer competition for spaces that's great less so if you want more of a sandbox/at your own pace style of game.

I will say that I love Keyflower but I would suggest watching the Rahdo Run Through video as while there is worker placement it has loads more mechanics and the worker placement is only really part of it.

Rococowon my girlfriend over and so far everyone in my gaming group enjoys it. It has some pretty clever ideas with the unique worker cards you use and buy and the added area control adds something different that Lords doesn't do.

Caverna: The Cave Farmers and Agricola are two sides of the same coin. They are very similar games but where Agricola is tight, tense and some times cut throat Caverna is more open, allows for exploration of the options and sand boxy. Depending on what you prefer both are excellent. I would have these are more complex than the games I have suggested before but I wouldn't be afraid to teach them to people who enjoy Lords.

There are Rahdo Run Throughs for all the games I mentioned and I think worth a watch to see what would suit your tastes.

Also worth mentioning if you haven't got the expansion for Lords it is excellent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is kind of hard to recommend you a game for at least four reasons:

1. People can't seem to really agree on the definition of "worker placement". I often see games like Fresco, Village or even Puerto Rico recommended, games I don't consider WP at all. And that's not taking into account the really far out ones like The Castles of Burgundy or Terra Mystica which are nothing like worker placement.

2. There are lots of hybrid games like Belfort, Lewis & Clark, Lancaster or Rococo that feature slight WP aspects, but also use other mechanics.

3. There are variations or twists to the "classic" worker placement mechanic, as found in games like Spyrium, Alien Frontiers or Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar.

4. I personally think there is a void in complexity between "light" WP games like Lords of Waterdeep, Stone Age or The Pillars of the Earth and heavy ones like Agricola, Caylus or Russian Railroads.

So, it kind of depends how close to the traditional worker placement mechanic you want to stick, and how far up the complexity scale you are willing to go. Some recommendations from me:

If you want only a very slight upgrade in complexity and length to LoW, go with Stone Age.
If you want a longer, heavier, "pure" worker placement game, go with Caylus or Agricola.
If you want a mechanic that is similar to worker placement, but not quite the same, go with Spyrium (lighter, though still more complex than LoW) or Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar (heavier).
If you don't mind a game that uses worker placement in addition to other mechanics, go with Lewis & Clark.
If you want a good strategy game that is slightly more complex than LoW, but not necessarily worker placement, go with Puerto Rico, The Castles of Burgundy or Fresco.

One thing to keep in mind: Few worker placement games have a direct "take that!" component like the intrigue cards in Lords of Waterdeep. So if you want a game that scores high in the "screw other players" department, take a look at Caylus or Lancaster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S C
United Kingdom
Leicester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
auge wrote:
So my wife LOVEs Lords of Waterdeep, and now she is saying she wants to take the next step.
She primarily likes medium-light games like Abyss, Ticket to ride, Catan, Carcassonne, Five Tribes and Splendor.
So, I am looking for a 'next-step' from Lords of Waterdeep for her.

Any ideas?

If it helps my girlfriend is obsessed with Waterdeep so much that if I gave her unrestrained choice she would pick it 9/10 with the other 1/10 being galaxy trucker.

She also likes Caverna (my group found it easy after Waterdeep and keyflower) and to a lesser degree keyflower.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to The Castles of Burgundy
It was a great buy for my gal and I a few months back and it's still being played regularly. One of the better 2 player euro games I've played.

ps if your calling agricola worker placement and not castles your splitting hairs, besides, the way castles does it is better ....if your about to quote me and dispute this lets move it to a different thread or message.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.