Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Strategy

Subject: [Newbie Love] 3 Core Sets + No Data Packs - Let's Build Some Decks! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Gallagher
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all! I just decided to recently take the plunge in to Android: Netrunner after having followed the game for a while online. 3 Core sets now sit before me and I am a little overwhelmed as to where to begin.

I would like to be able to have 1-2 runner and 1-2 corporation decks to expose friends of mine to the system. They are mostly magic players and I'm hoping to get some feedback on decks that are solid, relatively intuitive to run and arguably better than the instructions recommendation of "TAKE ALL CARDS FOR A CORP AND MASH IN ALL NEUTRALS WITH THEM THEN GO." That seems terrible and fairly thoughtless. This also doesn't take in to account the fact that I have bought 3 core sets and likely have some better options than that.

Any lists that involve cards from this pool would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Data packs are an eventuality but currently the wallet is feeling a little burned, so that's a later matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if your not experimenting deck building your self or just lookign for an idea of what card people included

i'd look at the very 1st tourney winning deck lists listed way back on stimhacks site,

its few tourneys where before any datapacks so should be a good start

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mychal
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pick a faction. Use your influence to improve economy + Ice (corps) or economy + Icebreakers/card tutors (runners).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish Noren
msg tools
mbmb
Gabe + Anarch Breakers & Data Sucker is probably the best you can do out of core on the runner side.

As far as Corp goes; HB was largely considered to be the strongest; but Weyland too if you go in on scorch. Jinteki is HARD to play out of core. It's really good against new players, but hard if people are getting the game. NBN is similarly a puzzle until you get Project Beale and ASH. So, I'd personally focus on Weyland/HB for beginners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gallagher
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So no Femme Fatal? That card seems like it's pretty legit. So does Crypsis. The economy and trickery cards of Crim all seem obvious and powerful. Diesel seems insane (see Ancestral Recall in MTG).

I think this looks to be a good criminal/anarch splash deck.

Total Cards: (45)

Identity:
1x Gabriel Santiago: Consummate Professional (Core)

Event: (22)
3x Account Siphon (Core)
3x Easy Mark (Core)
3x Forged Activation Orders (Core)
3x Infiltration (Core)
3x Inside Job (Core)
3x Special Order (Core)
1x Stimhack (Core) ■
3x Sure Gamble (Core)

Hardware: (3)
3x Desperado (Core)

Program: (13)
2x Corroder (Core) ■■ ■■
2x Femme Fatale (Core)
1x Ninja (Core)
1x Yog.0 (Core) ■
3x Datasucker (Core) ■ ■ ■
3x Parasite (Core) ■■ ■■ ■■
1x Sneakdoor Beta (Core)

Resource: (7)
3x Armitage Codebusting (Core)
2x Bank Job (Core)
2x Crash Space (Core)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish Noren
msg tools
mbmb
You probably want femme too for tollbooth. That deck looks pretty peak from what I remember of core (which is pretty little).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan F.
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may need more MU to be able to run that deck. If you had everything installed at once (which, admittedly, you wouldn't) it would take 12 MU but you max out at 5 MU (since you can only ever have one console in play at a time).

I don't think you'd ever be able to actually use the Sneakdoor (requires 2 MU) at the same time as any of the Parasites and/or Datasuckers (require 1 MU each). Or, if you did, you'd have no MU left for your breakers.

I am, however, a total newbie so take this comment with a very large grain of salt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rusty567 wrote:
You may need more MU to be able to run that deck. If you had everything installed at once (which, admittedly, you wouldn't) it would take 12 MU but you max out at 5 MU (since you can only ever have one console in play at a time).

I don't think you'd ever be able to actually use the Sneakdoor (requires 2 MU) at the same time as any of the Parasites and/or Datasuckers (require 1 MU each). Or, if you did, you'd have no MU left for your breakers.

I am, however, a total newbie so take this comment with a very large grain of salt.
you will never need more than 5 at a time and rarely even want it.

several programs are early-game only that will get replaced as you upgrade to your late-game suite

Sneakdoor is really only useful early game when archives are wide open. you can certainly have Datasuckers out at this point as you can start building tokens on them while hitting HQ unopposed through archives. once the corp starts to ice up archives, it's has done its job, and you can ditch it to clear up MU for something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan F.
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair points - but with only one copy of Sneakdoor in the deck, is it likely to be seen early enough for that to work? Or is it likely to be a dead card, appearing too late in the game to find space in the rig?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gallagher
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's actually a decision I made based off the available influence I was working with. The dream would be to drop it and add a second stimhack, but influence doesn't allow for it. There's no other anarch cards I want to cut so it's a filler.

There's a number of 1 of options that could be cute or better, but I went with SDB. Seems legit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Galbraith
Canada
Lower Sackville
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sneakdoor Beta is pretty much always legit, especially with Gabe's ability. They probably won't have already iced up archives, and since you get 2c back it's like a free turn to look at a few cards in their hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gallagher
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I understand it criminal wants to avoid installing programs until it basically has to (due to ice being in the way). Desperado is in the deck to bolster drip economy and memory anyhow. The program suite is pretty lightweight and the deck packs Special Order to get what is needed when it is needed. I just don't think memchip will give this deck what it needs over what is already there. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Galbraith
Canada
Lower Sackville
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you really need any more memory. Parasites will only be out as long as it takes to trash the ice. You can even use Datasucker tokens to bring the ice's strength down to 0 during an encounter and trash it immediately. Trashes an ice, and clears up a memory.

Regarding your first statement, I think what you maybe meant was "criminal wants to avoid installing breakers until it basically has to". Its very common to get a Datasucker out as early as possible.

Every successful run with Datasucker gives you a counter you can use to give an encountered Ice -1 strength. When you look at a very simple breaker like Corroder (1 credit for every +1 strength) each -1 strength from Datasucker tokens can be viewed as saving 1 credit to match Corroder's strength with that ice. For a breaker like Ninja where every 3 credits is +5 strength, Datasucker tokens can be a big deal. For example, if you're encountering an Archer (6 strength, 4 subroutines) you could spend 3 credits to bring Ninja to 5 strength, then 1 Datasucker token to bring Archer to 5 strength. That's way more cost effective than spending 6 credits to get 10 strength on Ninja.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan F.
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My basic thinking was that you'd want to get the Datasuckers going ASAP - so call that 1 MU (maybe 2 if you get lucky). Play Sneakdoor (assuming you get it) and you're up to 3-4 MU. Not enough for a both a Parasite and a breaker. If the logic is that you're okay ditching Sneakdoor as soon as you need a breaker then I can see that. But doesn't that make Sneakdoor an early game card that you'd need multiple copies of to be likely to get any use out of it? So maybe replace a Forged Activation Orders and an Infiltration with two more Sneakdoor Beta?

Like I said, I'm new to the game - but the main runner deck I've been playing has been shaper with the Datasuckers and Parasites - and I frequently ran into MU issues if I didn't see my console (Grimoire) or Memchips. (It was a single core set deck so I was somewhat at the mercy of fate.) Do I think he should waste influence on Memchips? No. But I think that MU needs to be considered if you pair Sneakdoor with the Anarch suite. And if the solution is use Sneakdoor early then ditch it for breakers and parasites, then don't you need three copies of Sneakdoor?

Of course, if Sneakdoor is just a semi-random choice because the deck needed one last card and there's only so many choices in the Core Set then all of this is irrelevant. I had a few choices like that in my deck too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gallagher
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I did mean that crim wants to avoid installing breakers until it has to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gallagher
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sneakdoor is actually just a bad card. I cut it for better events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls