Subject: For couples both on bgg, who lists the games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leo Chell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Random thought I had and thought I'd put it to you all. Say a couple is both on the geek, which one lists what games? Do you both list all the games or do you list specific 'they bought me this so its mine but I bought them that so its theirs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas MacIntyre
Scotland
Glasgow
Scotland
flag msg tools
I attack the darkness...
badge
Please Wait....
mbmbmbmb
Our collection is ours so both put the games up (and even those technically bought for our son) unless there are few one or other of us don't want to admit into their view of the collection - harry potter tcg or Cards Against Humanity.

Our collection is more of a what should we dig up to take to gaming so it makes a ton of sense to see all our games and choose on the geek before rummaging...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We both have a collection list that's a duplicate except that she didn't bother to include all my wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kat A
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My husband is the one who buys all the games so since he does the research on them he gets to list them, except the really bad ones that he won't own up to. I list them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Broersen
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both.
Each gives the games their own rating so preferences are clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if you were 'worried' about listing a game twice, you don't need to specify Owned for games in your BGG collection, so any number of people from your household and extended family can add the same game to their collections without skewing some imaginary statistics about owned games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife doesn't do any of the social media things (and I try to avoid them myself), but I am willing to use Reddit and BGG. (I have a Facebook account only to get an email of an old friend.) Additionally, we play together or I play solo (and rarely we get to go to a game night at our FLGS). As such, I list the games and record the plays.

Honestly, I wish BGG had a "couples/family" account where multiple identities could be linked into a single collection - I think then I could get my wife to join up (just to record plays).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alaina
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A linked family account is a fantastic idea! I was on BGG first so I have all of our games listed. My partner is not really interested in taking the time to list them all again on her own account since my list is complete. But if our accounts could be linked and we could both add to our collection... yeah, that's definitely a great idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Cannon
Wales
Trefforest
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
For couples both on bgg, who lists the games?

Both of us, although my list is more up to date

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Verbosity wrote:

Honestly, I wish BGG had a "couples/family" account where multiple identities could be linked into a single collection - I think then I could get my wife to join up (just to record plays).

Doesn't work.

1) I rate games differently than my wife, write different comments etc.
2) I play different games, hence log different games than my wife.

If you have to allow for different ratings, comments, ... in a single account you might as well just stay with the current situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Bampi
Italy
Padova
flag msg tools
badge
"Go suck yer blade!"
mbmbmbmbmb
...this question makes me wonder... doesn't BGG provide some way to share a collection with other users? I've made a quick search in the forums but don't seem to find anything (surprisingly...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
I list all our games, with a personal comment added to of hers. She just lists her games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RickNash wrote:
...this question makes me wonder... doesn't BGG provide some way to share a collection with other users? I've made a quick search in the forums but don't seem to find anything (surprisingly...)

There's no way to bulk-transfer your data to another account. This is by design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Bampi
Italy
Padova
flag msg tools
badge
"Go suck yer blade!"
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
RickNash wrote:

There's no way to bulk-transfer your data to another account. This is by design.

Sad! ...again, seems weird that nobody ever thought about a similar feature. Besides sharing a collection with your wife, it seems very natural to me as a quick and useful way to register a club / gaming party's collection. I understand it wouldn't be a piece of cake, speaking about code and dbs, but still definitely not impossibile

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RickNash wrote:
eddy_sterckx wrote:
RickNash wrote:

Sad! ...again, seems weird that nobody ever thought about a similar feature. Besides sharing a collection with your wife, it seems very natural to me as a quick and useful way to register a club / gaming party's collection. I understand it wouldn't be a piece of cake, speaking about code and dbs, but still definitely not impossibile

Right, like have spouse games show up in your collection with the tag 'Shared.' And as you say, members of a club could all share their collections to one account.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArrBeeDee Dial
United States
Lexington Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
I am working on overcoming my AP. Here is my 'to do' plan ...so far: 1).
mbmbmbmbmb
We can download our game list and all the comment fields.

I wish we could (at least) upload the games list.

Adding comments, ownership, etc. should be done manually but the process of [click], type, [wait..., {stupid computer needs one more letter}, wait..., click,... etc] is painful for even few games.

Once done.... CELEBRATE ! :cheer: arty:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RickNash wrote:
eddy_sterckx wrote:
RickNash wrote:

But you can do an Advanced Search for games owned by a specific user (8th option down). Just enter your SO's username and then it's easy to go down the status column and mark everything appropriately.

It's not as convenient as a bulk-transfer, but it get's the job done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking either have a shared account for their combined library, or just have one person do it.

Some aren't on the same page though. I went to a couple's house, asked what was new. She said she bought a bunch of new games. He said he's found some games that he never knew they had.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Chell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A gaming club page would be good, listing all the games available to that club. That would be very useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Bampi
Italy
Padova
flag msg tools
badge
"Go suck yer blade!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Spirit Juggler wrote:
A gaming club page would be good, listing all the games available to that club. That would be very useful.

Frankly, I love (and support) BGG but this is bugging me since the beginning. Glad to see other people agreeing cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas MacIntyre
Scotland
Glasgow
Scotland
flag msg tools
I attack the darkness...
badge
Please Wait....
mbmbmbmb
RickNash wrote:
Frankly, I love (and support) BGG but this is bugging me since the beginning. Glad to see other people agreeing cool

Yeah, closest workaround we have is using a guild for our club and the collections to see what everyone has. Club specific games that the club owns would need a club account and have someone lumbered with keeping it up to date...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Hillis
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If my wife were to have a bgg account I'm not really sure how we would split it up or if we would even split it up. At the moment she enjoys playing the games but she could care less about logging plays and reading forums. She's also quite busy homeschooling our 3 kids

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think both partners should keep their own accounts and list all the games. You are individuals, after all! A couple's BGG accounts - like their finances, bedrooms, and families - should be separate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am the one who likes to research and buy (/trade/sell) games, so I list all of our games and also log plays.

We each rate games separately though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Chell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife doesn't use bgg but it occurred to me that if 50 couples (for example) both logged one of their games as owned then that's only 50 copies but bgg would think it was 100 when people look at how many copies of a game are owned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.