Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: mrjr_rsp [+] [View All]
Jeff Hammans
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering if any rules had been released concerning the new tile types created by Michael Goldenthal and Vittorio Alinari. I would appreciate if someone might point me to them as Meadows, Plains and Rivers sound intriguing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Schacher

Spring
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't think they ever published rules. However...

Several places to look:

1. There is a Wiki for Magic Realm. Here is the link to the tiles page. You may home to click around.

http://triremis.com.au/wiki-mr/pmwiki.php?n=Main.NewTiles

2. Robin Warren's original Realmspeak page. Click on the House for the expansion. The bottom link Everything Else has his rules.

http://magicrealm.dewkid.com/

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hammans
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Steve, yup there is a link link to the tiles I'm talking about on the wiki and Robin's website. The expansion covers Robin's new tiles, but I was hoping someone might have done something more with the set that Vittorio Alinari and Michael Goldenthal had put together available below Robin's tiles.

I'm new to Magic Realm and I didn't know if they might be on another website I haven't been able to track down yet, or had been dismantled over time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jlhammans wrote:
Meadows

For these, which all look like:

since most clearings are not connected, you will need to use the expansion rules, Rule 2 "Offroad Travel"

http://magicrealm.dewkid.com/download/Expansion1.zip

Record two move actions and roll here:

Die Clearing Type:
Roll MOUNTAINS CAVES OTHER
1 Choice/Mark Path Choice/Mark Path Choice/Mark Path
2 Choose Clearing Choose Clearing Choose Clearing
3 Random Clearing Random Clearing Choose Clearing
4 Same Clearing Lost (1 wound) Random Clearing
5 Avalanche (1d6 wounds) Lost (1 wound) Lost
6 Lost Same Clearing Lost

After a lost / avalanche result, moving off road is the only Action you can take until you get a Clearing result (or you die).

jlhammans wrote:
Plains

These

do not seem to need any special rules.

jlhammans wrote:
Rivers

For these

I suggest using the canoe / rowboat rules, that you can find in the Barony variant:

http://triremis.com.au/wiki-mr/pmwiki.php?n=Main.Barony

Canoe/Row Boat- Move from water clearing to water clearing. When river tiles are placed the flow of the current has to be determined. Water vessels moving with the current require 1 action per clearing, while going against the current requires 2 and fatigues a chit.

How to populate them is entirely another matter, since it was probably never specified by the authors. I would say it is up to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooooops. How do I make external images small?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hammans
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Neko, I had seen Onionking's stuff but I hadn't read the canoe rule. It's a start! I also see he was thinking up new sound chits as well. I could go that route or just double up on the regular ones. There are so many cool tiles in the set including multiple enchanted versions that I was hoping someone had already tackled all the special cases...

I'm lazy...lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Jeff Hammans wrote:
I'm new to Magic Realm and I didn't know if they might be on another website I haven't been able to track down yet, or had been dismantled over time.

Michael Goldenthal's "expansion" does not exist in any form other than those map tiles by Vittorio Alinari.

Micheal showed up one day on the Magic Realm Mailing List with a gazillion ideas for improving Magic Realm: more colors of magic, more weight/harm levels, more map tiles, more dwellings of various sizes (village, town, city), etc. Basically, *more* of everything.

But he had absolutely no rules for any of his ideas, and only a few primitive graphics cobbled together from screenshots of various video games.

He seemed to have expected that everyone would simply stop playing the basic game and all work together to develop his vision of Super Duper Realm... but when no one showed even slight interest – because he had no rules – he got really angry, and eventually disappeared, and was never heard from again. He was able to convince Vittorio to make up the map tiles, but no other work was ever done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hammans
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That's too bad, I had already read the note from Richard Hamblen that had those enticing hints about his larger version of the game, including water terrain. I had hoped these tiles might have been part of that or that someone had talked with him and started working on it, maybe even with him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.