Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Low
United States
Mansfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see a reference to the investor card in the setup portion of the rules. Is this randomly assigned at the start?

Relatedly, I'm seeing a start where the person with the investor card starts by investing, strips his nation of $4 in interest, gains $2 from the investor card, and immediately takes over another nation by buying the $6 bond that complements the $4 bond he already has. They would immediately take control of the second nation.

I guess it is fair since they also have some less-useful bonds in their first nation, but it has got to be frusterating for the poor fellow who didn't even get to move.

-Greg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walther Gerdts
Germany
Hamburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The investor-card is assigned to the investor sitting left to the investor who is controlling the government of Austria-Hungary. The investor who does the first move in the game, will get the investor-card last.

If another government is taken over in the first round (it is not possible in the very first move of the game because of position of investor-card), it will be highly reasonable for the new owner to strip his nation as soon as possible. This will give the old owner 4 million. If the old owner does not hold a flag anymore, he has the advantage to invest whenever anyone else invests. That could be used as a strategy for fast and early financial growth. Alternatively, only 2 million would be enough to retake control.

Apart from this considerations I strongly recommend to play the beginning with the rules for experienced players! The distribution of bonds as written in the rules is only a suggestion (which might have its flaws). It is meant for those players, who are beginners and therefore have no idea which bonds to take. The real game is with giving every player the opportunity to invest in every nation first, and after that starting the game with Austria-Hungary!

But if you want to stick to the suggested distribution of bonds, and do not like the possibility to loose control early, you could give every investor 2 million as extra starting money, enabling everyone to react instantly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.