Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage» Forums » General

Subject: Whats with Cato Counsels Rome? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T G
United States
California
flag msg tools
After thinking about the history, I am not remembering Cato counseling against going to Africa, but Fabius. Shouldn't it be Fabius counsels Rome? He is the one who thought Scipio was going too far petitioning to get command of an African campaign.

Cato the Elder was a big figure pushing for the 3rd Punic war. He did exist and was even involved in the second Punic war but do not remember him mentioned anywhere specifically. Besides, he was a Carthage hater and it's hard to believe Mr. Carthago delenda est would give such counsel.

If I am wrong i would be interested to hear from somebody who can show me evidence that Cato was not only a prominent figure in the second Punic War, but that he was against taking the fight to Afrika.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

Why don't you ask your Dad what he thinks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T G
United States
California
flag msg tools
My dad is too conservative for me. Mean spirited old fuss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

Lol, I couldn't agree more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's only Wikipedia, but the description in the link below may shed some light on the meaning behind the card:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cato_the_Elder#Quaestor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T G
United States
California
flag msg tools
That almost makes the connection. But not quite. He was Scipio's Quaster just under him, and Cato was a friend of Fabius who wanted him to keep an eye on Scipio's conduct in terms of the legality of his expenditures and the treatment of locals under a subordinate of Scipio'. Doesn't quite make the connection that he was trying to stop the expedition. He was part of it.

Still seems like Fabius is the one intended as the voice against the operation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T G
United States
California
flag msg tools
A well thought out answer. I think this may be more then acceptable. Fabius goes through Cato to make the proposition , as people tire of his caution, he uses him as a mole. And Cato was basically that when he was sent to serve under Scipio anyway. Yes this sounds fitting.

Although it shows a high level of sophistication by the designer, I like to think of it as a mistake, but perhaps he was just a step ahead of my question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CatoTheYounger wrote:
A well thought out answer. I think this may be more then acceptable. Fabius goes through Cato to make the proposition , as people tire of his caution, he uses him as a mole. And Cato was basically that when he was sent to serve under Scipio anyway. Yes this sounds fitting.

Although it shows a high level of sophistication by the designer, I like to think of it as a mistake, but perhaps he was just a step ahead of my question.

I think consim designers do a ton of research on the subjects they model. Why would you think, or even like to think, that this was an error or oversight? Why wouldn't you give the designer the benefit of the doubt?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T G
United States
California
flag msg tools
Not meant as a slight to the designer.This is my favorite game and rich in historical flavor. It just seems counterintuitive to see Cato counseling AGAINST bringing the fight to Carthage, especially when we know Fabius for sure was against the operation, and Scipio leading it.

But maybe I should just appreciate that these designers thought everything out, and left our intelligence to connect the dots on the less then obvious, but totally rational reason for a card with a headline such as this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander McBay
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gunderian007 wrote:
Try playing the old game Republic of Rome; the Roman infighting is amazing, making the US senate look lame by comparison today.

So many things in our 'modern' experience actually stem from this Latin ascension. Think of our saying- 'Politics makes strange bedfellows.'

Not to mention 'The dye is cast'

and 'For God and Country'

or 'Death before dishonor'. Etc etc

Most Definitly! One time, I turned everyone against electing the best general dictator (Cornelius Scipio I believe) to fight Hannibal in order to cut his influence.

The general that got sent was swiftly cut down. I had Fabius from my faction go in and win on a lucky roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.