Subject: Trying to get my wife interested rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've recently really enjoyed playing "Dominion" and "7 Wonders" but my wife just can't stand them. I'm not sure whether it's the fact that they are predominately card based, that they are only weakly themed or that they are not interactive enough but she just doesn't enjoy them.

She has in the past played and enjoyed (to some extent) games like Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride. She wasn't so keen on "Settlers of Catan". But can anyone suggest other card based games (featuring deck building/card drafting mechanics) but that might appeal to her more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
For someone presumably more keen on a non-cliched theme, I'd wonder if Last Will may appeal? It's silly and fun thematically, but with some really strong mechanics and not overly long. Taking your horse to the opera and trashing your mansion with a wild party must surely push some buttons?

On the lighter side, Machi Koro is very friendly to newcomers from the graphical style and mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuba W
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, my wife enjoys a lot this one:
Legacy: The Testament of Duke de Crecy
I'd say it has a similar level of interaction as 7 Wonders (not a lot), but much better theme integration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Moody
United States
Fort Pierce
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
Hmm. My wife's favorite game we own is either Carcassonne or king of Tokyo. As far as card games she really enjoys Flux, sushi go, and smash up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Space Trucker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion actually is a game that is a pretty good deckbuilding game. The medival theme is relativly weak but popular and uncomplicated. When she hates Dominion, she maybe won't like other deckbuilding games, too?

Maybe try something more accesible, less abtract?
San Juan?
Port Royal?

Or Splendor?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fried Egg wrote:
I'm not sure whether it's the fact that they are predominately card based, ... but she just doesn't enjoy them.

... can anyone suggest other card based games (featuring deck building/card drafting mechanics) but that might appeal to her more?

If you're looking for card-based games because you like them you might want to reconsider your approach. Anybody only weakly interested in boardgaming is likely going to hate deckbuilding and card drafting - it takes too much effort.

Why not take her to a gamestore (or browse online) and let her choose something? If even that's more than she's willing to do, then you know you have a non-gaming spouse (like I do)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
Simon, check out this recent Geeklist of two player games. They are posted by people that primarily play with their significant other. It might prove helpful.

Early on my wife also couldn't articulate why exactly she disliked a game. What I've done is pick a theme she agrees with (no scifi, no fantasy... I know, I know) and then find a game that introduces one or two mechanics at a time. Then you can kind of figure out what she dislikes gameplay wise and that will allow you to find good stuff.

Also, once you have some games picked out watch a lot of reviews before buying anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pete truss
England
Bridgwater
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yard master express. Quick and easy to play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fried Egg wrote:
I'm not sure whether it's the fact that they are predominately card based,[...]

Fried Egg wrote:
can anyone suggest other card based games [...]

robot
Fried Egg wrote:
I've recently really enjoyed playing "Dominion" and "7 Wonders" but my wife just can't stand them. [...]

Fried Egg wrote:
But can anyone suggest other card based games (featuring deck building/card drafting mechanics) [...]

robot

Please, talk with your wife about what she actually likes and dislikes in detail before even considering to buy a new game.

Then, after you did some research (which includes getting recommendations), look at the potential new games together.

Maybe watch some video reviews or even some episodes of TableTop.

Don't do any trial and error, as it will just cost you time, money and your wife's nerves.

Once you talked to her, update your request and I would be happy to help you out.

Good luck !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for all your suggestions so far. I will investigate and see whether they look like they might work.

I will just add (as I didn't make it clear previously) that I'm not looking for two player games; more games that the whole family might play (the kids have been perfectly happy with all the games I mentioned previously) and that therefore also rules out games that are too adult themed.

And I can appreciate how my request seems to be contradictory and while I can't rule out the possibility that maybe she just doesn't like card based games, I'm hoping this isn't the case. I'm hoping that I just need to find the right game and it isn't the mechanic(s) itself that she dislikes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alaina
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What did she say when you asked her why she didn't like Dominion or 7 Wonders? Was she not able to put her finger on it? What did she say when you asked what she liked about Carcassonne or Ticket to Ride, or when you asked what she didn't like about Catan?

It will be easier for us to give decent recommendations when we have more information. Otherwise you will just get the standard gateway game responses, when maybe it's that the gateways are too simple and don't offer enough interesting decisions.

Edit: We replied at the same time It will also help to know the age(s) of your child(ren), there are some awesome games for little kids that adults can enjoy, but if they're older that opens the field for a bunch more games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything hinges on her view of the books themselves, for slightly older kids as well as adults, Discworld: Ankh-Morpork is an eeexxxxccceeelllleeeennntttt family game with genuine gaming mechanics in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pee di Moor
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Kyur. The first thing you have to do is find out WHY she likes carc&TTR, but not 7-wonders&Dominion.

You assume it's cards, but from experience I know it is more likely something else.

Some have suggested 'theme' but other possibilies are
* (non)-confrontational
* Number of options per turn (Carc&TTR are very straight-forward with limited options, whereas there are more options in 7-w and Dom)
* game-mechanisms

Please find out first, and then ask for suggestions .....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Kyur wrote:

Maybe watch some video reviews or even some episodes of TableTop.

Don't do any trial and error, as it will just cost you time, money and your wife's nerves.

Once you talked to her, update your request and I would be happy to help you out.

Good luck !

I'll second this. We added a couple of games to our wishlist based on Tabletop episodes. You don't have to watch the full thing, watch the quick overview of the rules and then maybe 10 minutes or so of the gameplay just to get a feel for whether it is something you (and she) would like.

Maybe also look at a lighter cooperative game (Forbidden Island, perhaps?), or something abstract (Blokus).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeJayGe
United States
Windsor Hills
California
flag msg tools
The Idealist Counselor - Introverted Intuitive Feeling Judging (INFJ)
badge
Don't hate the game, hate the player.
mbmbmbmbmb
Promise to rub her feet for each new game she learns, or existing game she wins at.

Eventually this bribery will subside, and you are left with a wife that enjoys the games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArrBeeDee Dial
United States
Lexington Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
I am working on overcoming my AP. Here is my 'to do' plan ...so far: 1).
mbmbmbmbmb
I just realized there is a new game in the undercurrents of BGG -marriage communication & counceling AKA MCC.

"You down with MCC (Yeah you know me)
You down with risk and see
You down with MCC
Who's down with MCC (Every last homie)..."

/with profuse apologies cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Crawford
United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does she like games in general? If so, what are some titles she enjoys?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to try:

Biblios
Fairy Tale
Sushi Go!
Dragon's Hoard
Splendor

My wife and I both enjoy these games. They involve card drafting and/or hand management to one degree or another. They are easy to learn and can be played in 30 - 60 minutes (or less).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Pasmeny
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take her to 50 Shades of Grey.

Oh, wait...interested in board games....

whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
bpasmeny wrote:
Take her to 50 Shades of Grey.

whistle

From what I've heard, that would only put her to sleep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bianca G
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Come to the dark side - we have cookieees.
mbmbmbmbmb
If she's into tile laying you may want to try The Castles of Burgundy, The Downfall of Pompeii or Castles of Mad King Ludwig. All go very well with people new to the hobby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce Spence
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good advice from everyone above. If she likes TTR you could try other versions of it. TTR: Europe adds a little extra things to do with tunnels and ferries. Also take a look at Takenoko. My wife really enjoys this game and it would be great for the whole family. If you wanted something on the co-op side I would suggest Forbidden Island and Pandemic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
My girlfriend loves these games:

Seasons
Abyss
Pandemic
Takenoko
Sultaniya
Among the Stars
Boss Monster: The Dungeon Building Card Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might try asking her what she likes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to the advice to ask her what she likes, ask her to come to the game store and pick something out, etc. You're wanting her to try something new for you, make sure that you are also willing to bend a little and maybe not worry so much about finding card games or deckbuilding games and just find anything you can both enjoy.

With that said, you might look at Rococo. It is a board game about being dressmakers for Louis XIV, and it is strongly thematic. It also has a small deckbuilding element. It might satisfy both of you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.