Yusuf Ismail
South Africa
Durban
KwaZulu-Natal
flag msg tools
mb
Hi all

Just wondering if any Shadow player has managed to get any good use out of the Great Dread Shadow Story Card and Bolg's ability to place mustering tokens.

With Great Dread, I found the requirement too harsh (control 2 settlements) and by the time the Shadow controls 2 settlements, most (if not all) the Free Peoples recruitment tokens have been flipped over. Rolling dice isn't guaranteed to remove them too. I have found the Shadow story card that allows the removal of up to 2 bats to remove recruitment tokens to be much more useful and reliable.

With Renewed Force tends to be too slow, having to use three muster dice to place four recruitment tokens (even though they don't have to be placed in mustering regions in Broken Lands) and flip them over and another 2 army dice to merge these units into a single army of 4 units.

Does anyone else feel the same way or am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itamar Parann
Israel
Ramat Gan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Renewed Force saves you a Muster die - you get 4 tokens for the price of one die. Everything else remains as usual, and since SP can often find its armies worn and torn, with need to build new armies, it is clearly better to do so while saving dice. While not earth shattering - this is useful,
Great Dread can be very effective if you save it for the right moment in the game. I used it recently to crush FP's hopes of rebuilding the Camp army, creating an almost direct path to the Front Gate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Strand
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
I find both cards situational, which means that either can be really good once in a great while, and mediocre a little more frequently, but most of the time they just sit in my hand, or in the back of my mind as an option, for the entire game.

I do find Bolg's ability a nice boost for the shadow player compared to spawning on the board edge. Mostly, it keeps the muster die from being a complete waste in certain situations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.