Hide
7 Posts

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Dealing with rampaging enemy when attacking a city rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Figo 3434
msg tools
Is it correct that if you attack the blue city, thus provoking the red rampaging enemy next to it, you will
- treat it as if it had the same resistances as the other enemies inside the city (added to its own resistances),
and
- not assign it the attack bonus that the other enemies gain from the blue city?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hulu hulu
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are right on not assigning the attack bonus.

As for the resistance, it depends on how you group the enemy in your range/siege attack phase and attack phase. If the dragon is grouped with enemies with resistance, all of them have all the resistance appeared on them collectively. In another word, it is the same as any multi-enemy combats, regardless of the dragon in or out of the city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Woźniak
Poland
Niemcz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Figo3434 wrote:
Is it correct that if you attack the blue city, thus provoking the red rampaging enemy next to it, you will
- treat it as if it had the same resistances as the other enemies inside the city (added to its own resistances),
and
- not assign it the attack bonus that the other enemies gain from the blue city?

Of course, you only provoke dragon if your assault was through dragons ZOC; also, if you wanted to, you can provoke it to join the defenders, but it is not obligatory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Figo3434 wrote:
and

Quote:
If the dragon is grouped with enemies with resistance, all of them have all the resistance appeared on them collectively.

This is not correct. See Syzygia's much better answer to a very similar question here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1326038/grouping-enemies-do...

Essentially, enemies never gain resistances and treating them "as if" they do can lead to some incorrect plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Lumiukko
Finland
flag msg tools
How about a cake break!
badge
How about a cake break!
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
See Syzygia's much better answer

I'm sorry to disagree here but it's not because this Syzygia is so sure of himself that he is right. Irtranquil's answer is here totally correct.

If you group the enemies (i.e. you use the same attack on all of them), look at the rulebook page 8:
Quote:
3. Now total the Attack value of all the played effects:
a. If at least one targeted enemy has one or more Resistance
icons, then all attacks of a type that match a resistance icon
are inefficient – their strength is halved. (Total all inefficient attacks, divide the result by two, round down.)
• Cold Fire Attacks are halved only when there is at least one targeted enemy with both Ice and Fire Resistance.
4. To make a successful attack, the total Attack value has to equal
or exceed the total Armor values of all targeted enemies.
If it does, the targeted enemies are defeated.

This is written for the ranged attack phase but clearly written in the attack phase that the same rules apply there as well.

So when you attack a group of enemies, if one of them as a resistance, it's as if all of them had because all your attacks matching that icon are halved. Now if you attack the enemies in this group in 2 or more different attack, you don't have that problem. In one phase you are allowed to do several attacks so use this to your advantage to defeat each enemy with attacks that are not halved when possible.

I will add the bullet point 6 that is in the same page to possibly make this clearer:
Quote:
6. You can declare none, one or more attacks during this phase.
With each attack, you can defeat one or multiple enemies.
Group the cards and effects you play for each attack in separate columns.
a. If some of the enemies are fortifed and some are not, you may want to deal with the unfortifed ones with a separate attack (so you can use your Ranged Attacks).
b. If some enemies have certain resistances and some not, you may want to deal with them with separate attacks, as the presence of a resistant enemy halves the value of all Attacks of the type it is resistant to.

P.S.: I'm here referring to the base game rulebook. I know that many players play with the Lost Legion expansion and as far as I can say with quickly scanning the rulebook online they are the same. Can someone confirm?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnesi
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So... isn't that what I said? My point in that post (and Ben's point here) is that considering that enemies gain the other group members' resistance is a bad practice: it can provoke some rules mistakes.

For instance, you can think that coldfire attack is inefficient when attacking fire and ice golems (if you thinks they gain other monster's resistances, a group of two golems would have all the resistances, and colfire attacks would be inefficient), but that is not the case. You can have problems with expose, Tovak's resistance break, WH's I know your prey... While if you follow the rules as written (the ones you quoted) you don't have any of these problems.

In other words, my point was that "enemies share resistances" is a misleading sentence that can lead to mistakes. I think that, specially when answering rules questions, one should be precise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilias Sellountos
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BilyVMe wrote:
So when you attack a group of enemies, if one of them as a resistance, it's as if all of them had because all your attacks matching that icon are halved.

This is incorrect. If you group an enemy with fire resistance and one with cold resistance it is NOT as if both enemies have cold AND fire resistance. Cold Fire attacks against the group are not halved.

The correct way to look at it is that if an attack would be inefficient against any SINGLE enemy in the group, it is inefficient against the entire group. That is not always equivalent to all enemies having all resistances in the group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.