Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am amazed with how many WW2 Solitaire Board Games that exist that no one has done a professionally produced Solitaire Roman Empire game. It seems that this would be a great era to focus on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Depends on what you call "professionally produced"

Solitaire Caesar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Send a note to Alan Emrich of Victory Point Games. It sounds like a good idea that could be adapted into their State of Siege system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sevigny
United States
Washington
D.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Fall of Rome

Although "professional" is arguable when it comes to rules editing in the first edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oooooooooooh. A game on the Crisis of the Third Century would be great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Meeks
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coming soon from GMT: Gallic War
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Quinn
United States
Bradley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barbarian, Kingdom & Empire has about a dozen scenarios, including a very good solitaire one. Good game. Ugly map. Bookkeeping. 1983.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola S
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is this in the works:

Empire of Rome II - Solo

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@209.mPWObK26kdL@.1dd2b1e...

From the designer's description on CSW:
"This is an updated version of Empire of Rome, an extention of the old AH game Republic of Rome. I have now go this to 6 sheets of 1 inch counters (6 x 70 = 420) and two of 5/8 inch counters (2 x 176 = 352). This brings some advantages in the game such as war counters moving across the board. I have also made one or two changes to the rules, as always happend when you have to re-draft. Mainly, I have seperated the rules for the Republic, Principate, Tetrarchy and Dominate into scenario rules."

It appears at least a couple of professional publishers are interested, but if you want, the designer has published all the material on the above CSW thread (starting here: http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@209.mPWObK26kdL@.1dd2b1e...) and you could print and play it while waiting for the professional edition.

HTH

(Edited for spelling...hopefully)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Pundyk
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Rockin Rocko wrote:
I am amazed with how many WW2 Solitaire Board Games that exist that no one has done a professionally produced Solitaire Roman Empire game. It seems that this would be a great era to focus on.

Not sure why you're "amazed". I thought it was a fairly well-known fact that the majority of wargamers seem to focus solely or primarily on WWII. Unfortunate, but true. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will clarify what I would like to see. A professional printing of game components on the level of a GMT and maybe Gold Victory Point Games at least. Modern design and good quality artwork. A functional AI that gives a good feel for atmosphere for the era. Perhaps even the ability to have the game increase the AI by utilizing an advanced deck of cards if the player chooses. Just some thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam D.
United States
Suquamish
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm amazed that there are at least two, one of which has a reprint, another in the works and nobody mentioned the solitaire scenarios in Imperium Romanum: The Clash of Legions and Imperium Romanum II.

Sooo, I'd say there are solitaire roman empire games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Pundyk
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
TheCollector wrote:
I'm amazed that there are at least two, one of which has a reprint, another in the works and nobody mentioned the solitaire scenarios in Imperium Romanum: The Clash of Legions and Imperium Romanum II.

Sooo, I'd say there are solitaire roman empire games.

Exactly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is interesting that the first ever solitaire wargame, The Fall of Rome from 1973, was on this very subject.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zouave wrote:
It is interesting that the first ever solitaire wargame, The Fall of Rome from 1973, was on this very subject.

Cool, I didn't remember that! Poking around, I see that it seems to be verified e.g. in this thread:

Wargame firsts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Tete Montoliu - Tootie's Tempo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paul7e wrote:
The Fall of Rome

Although "professional" is arguable when it comes to rules editing in the first edition.

The rules editing issues are legendary and like most legends have grown in the telling, so much so that after reading a number of times that the errata were larger than the rules I posted an image showing the two together as a reality check:

It's irrelevant anyway for players today, who can download an updated version of the rules with all the errata incorporated here: Fall of Rome, rules with errata

wernervoss wrote:
Oooooooooooh. A game on the Crisis of the Third Century would be great!

That's one of a number of scenarios you can play in The Fall of Rome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rockin Rocko wrote:
I will clarify what I would like to see. A professional printing of game components on the level of a GMT and maybe Gold Victory Point Games at least. Modern design and good quality artwork. A functional AI that gives a good feel for atmosphere for the era. Perhaps even the ability to have the game increase the AI by utilizing an advanced deck of cards if the player chooses. Just some thoughts.

Fall of Rome is a brilliant game, but it was a magazine game in the early 1970s and doesn't meet those graphical standards. For me, the quality of the game outweighs the pretty bits element by orders of magnitude; once I'm drawn into the game I don't even notice. But I realize that's not true for everyone. It's a shame though; this is by far the best game available that meets your other criteria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is clear that the time is right for a new Solitaire Roman Empire conflict war game that is of at least Victory Point Game quality or above. Then add in a more artistic map and game pieces I think it would be a winner. Thanks to all who replied to the post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
Send a note to Alan Emrich of Victory Point Games. It sounds like a good idea that could be adapted into their State of Siege system.

This may indeed be a good idea given the O.P.'s requirements, but I can't resist stepping onto my soapbox and commenting*. I own a couple of games in the State of Siege series, and while I enjoy them and give them high marks for entertainment value, they're a different beast than Fall of Rome.

We wargamers are quick to accuse eurogames of having a painted on theme, but that's very much the case with the SoS series as well. Start with some tracks where the system moves markers towards the endpoint, and give the player some options for how to slow their progress. Splash some historical blurbs on the cards, add a couple of tweaks and voilà. We give it a pass because the games are fun and we prefer the historical flavor to yet another medieval farms-and-castles treatment like we'd see from a euro publisher.

The Fall of Rome is something else; the system was designed to fit the historical context rather than the other way around. As noted earlier in the thread, it was the first ever simulation designed from the ground up to be a solitaire game; its success led to the entire genre of solo historical games (including the State of Siege series).

Again, I'm not trying to denigrate State of Siege games. I like them (and back that up with my wallet) but if you want a deeper understanding of the subject you'll do better by finding this game AND the magazine with which it was published. They pop up regularly on eBay, and the two together will teach you a great deal about the subject and provide a great solo gaming experience.

* I realize that posting three times on this thread will likely result in somebody calling me a fanboy (a term I loathe), but I've loved this game since Strategy & Tactics #39 arrived in my mailbox more than four decades ago. It's a wonderful game, and I don't mind repeating it. Sue me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

Did you ever play the Joe Miranda version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashiefan wrote:
Did you ever play the Joe Miranda version?

Nope. I've been disappointed too many times by Decision Games reprints of SPI originals; more often than not they result in garish art and poorly tested rules changes. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

Fair enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Um, what's "solitaire" about it? Many generals chasing each other around the Med trying to conquer enough provinces to take the rest, for hundreds of years, is a solitaire endeavor, how exactly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Wilson
United States
Skokie
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paul7e wrote:
The Fall of Rome

I was hoping someone would mention this one. I definitely thought it played better as a solitaire game than the solitaire scenario in Conquistador.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:

Theoretically, somewhere in the queue there is a States of Siege FotRE game. I have no idea how far down in the queue it is, what state it is in (i.e., died someone present a partial game or just a framework or something else). And yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jur dj
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Fanboy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.