L. B. M.
United States
Fairborn
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there an upper limit to the effect of increasing the battle size with the Horde ability?

In our first game, after getting to Xykon, we gave up adding new cards after the battle size was over thirty+.

Any suggestions on keeping it manageable, or is the intent for a battle size to grow to unbeatable proportions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cook
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you're incredibly unlucky drawing cards that support it (and you're leaving a lot of unkilled monsters on the board), you have to make an effort to get a stack that big.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Quirk
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it can be pretty easy to blow up the battle size without realizing it, especially with Xykon and Red Cloak, so be careful how crazy you get with putting goblins and undead under monsters on the Xykon level because when Xykon comes out, he's going to get that many more monsters.

The best method of geting around this is to use the Screw This card "I forgot they could do that" which will let you either ignore the Horde ability when they come out on the table OR ignore the assist support when you fight them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy McKean
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our last game saw Xykon show up with every last monster in the Battle deck. His stats were around 56/56. Of course, several of the goblins were still up on the first floor where Redcloak showed up early...

I think a simple fix would be to say that the battle size can't go above double what it would normally be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Quirk
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to clarify, you do realize that support abilities only work if the monster is on the same floor as you, right? So if Redcloak is up on the first floor with a stack of goblins, it has no effect on Xykon's strength or his battle size. If anything, it means that there are that many fewer goblins to be played on Xykon's level, so he won't get as much support.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy McKean
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I know how to play the game, thank you.
Xykon had multiple leaders, as well as multiple monsters with the Horde ability (it gets a bit silly when playing a cockroach adds +4 to the battle size, eh?)
I mentioned Redcloak being on an upper floor because the battle could have been MUCH larger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wester
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's worth mentioning (because it hasn't yet) that the Horde ability has been errata'd by APE. A monster can only Support the highest other monster in the pile. So if you're up against Xykon and Redcloak is right underneath him, if the next person plays a Goblin/Cockroaches the Battle Size will only increase by one, not two. There's an extended example at the official FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocco D
msg tools
what if Belkar chooses to use his "probably evil" Shtick?

it says that Belkar "becomes a supporting monster for Every monster on the same floor as him, so he would count as a supporting card for every single monster that gets placed that has horde ability that turn.

even under the new rule where each monster only supports the topmost monster, Belkar's Shtick still specifically says he supports every single monster on that floor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Belkar's card was made BEFORE the errata. The purpose of the errata is to prevent insane amounts of support from occurring.

Note that the Henchman ability says "This Monster provides Support for all Monsters on the same floor, regardless of its actual type." Very similar (perhaps identical, I don't have the card) to Belkar's card.

Based on the INTENT of the change in the FAQ (as stated therein), I would personally say the "Probably Evil" card is also affected, or you run into the same potential problems (even if not quite as drastic).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.