Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Faust
United States
Malverne
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at this year's winners and runners up from the Golden Geek awards, it struck me that none of them were from 2013. That's odd, considering the previous winners:

2013: Terra Mystica, released at Essen 2012
2012: Eclipse, released at Essen 2011
2011: Dominant Species, released in September 2010
2010: Hansa Teutonica, released at Essen 2009
2009: Dominion, released at Essen 2008
2008: Agricola, released at Essen 2007

Then I remembered that, when nominating the games, the 2013 games weren't even on the list. Last year's "2013" Golden Geek Awards were also held in January/February of the following year, but obviously featured 2012 titles, as one of them won. (The 2012 Golden Geeks were held in September/October 2012, and also obviously featured games from the previous year.)

It just seems odd and a little sad that a) the great games from 2013 never got their day in the sun, and b) we're forced to vote on the 2014 games so soon after they were released.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At least I could have accepted Caverna winning for best game of the year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's interesting. I wonder if its a special allowance for games that game out very late/were out of print the previous year, so they wanted to give a fair shot to those games?

I'm not sure myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.