Subject: Rolling 2d6 for Combats rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary S.
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

When playing this game 2 player we have found that early lopsided dice rolling has rendered the game stillborn on several occasions.

So I am considering using 2d6 for the combat dice and halving the result (rounding down). This should make massive variations (eg. 1 v's 6) rarer.

Is this idea a runner?

[Edit] P.S. I know about the optional reroll rule, but don't like the look of it in theory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think for two player it might not be a bad idea if you are worried about luck. I would try it. Its not like 2 player pax is really long. I'm assuming your talking about playing scenarios 1-4. The reroll rule is rather dubious in the book. It might be ok but I would share your concerns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael @mgouker
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually like the unpredictability of the combat. If you moderate the rolls, battles between big armies and little armies will have a guaranteed rout effect. It's kind of neat seeing big armies have to take losses against small forces. You guys are eliminating that possibility. Naturally, you are free to play any way you like, but we play-tested dozens of games with the single D6 rolls. It works pretty well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Randall
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Pheasant Plucker wrote:
Is this idea a runner?

Sure, go ahead. The odds will favor a roll of 7, of course, as all 2d6 systems do, but if you want much less randomness, hey, you bought the game!

I agree with Michael that the randomness is part of the fun, but for those who want less of it, do what you want as long as your opponents agree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pheasant Plucker wrote:
Hi guys,

When playing this game 2 player we have found that early lopsided dice rolling has rendered the game stillborn on several occasions.

So I am considering using 2d6 for the combat dice and halving the result (rounding down). This should make massive variations (eg. 1 v's 6) rarer.

Is this idea a runner?

[Edit] P.S. I know about the optional reroll rule, but don't like the look of it in theory.

Hey Gary, how many times have you played?

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.