Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Hi everyone,

Would anyone be interested in joining some friends and me for a regular game night on the West side of Denver?

I'm picturing a gathering similar to what the Denvergamers group does at the Park Meadows Borders, but on a different night and in the vicinity of Lakewood (let's say Golden, Lakewood, Littleton).

Let me know if you'd be interested in joining us on the West Side, what night(s) work best (Wednesday anyone?), and roughly where you're located so we can focus on a local.

Thanks, and game on !

Iain
citizen k

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Laurent
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely be interested in a Lakewood/Golden game night during the week. I am located at Kipling and Jewell, so perhaps the Barnes & Nobles book store at Denver West would would pretty well for me.

My wife an I are expecting a baby in December, so I'd only be able to come regularly starting in Febuary.

As far as the day is concerned, Monday/Tuesday/Thursday works best for me. Weekends will be difficult for me to attend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Interested in a regular game night on Denver's West Side
FYI: I am doing 1st and 3rd Saturday now in Longmont.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Brychel
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am interested and could possibly have a friend who could play as well. I am going to nightschool on Monday and Wednesday until December. But I am open on weekends and on Fridays after noon, I am in the Littleton area at Kipling and C-470 so anwhere west is good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
And I still mean to attend some Saturday Sterling

Glenn, my daughter just turned 11 months, so I hear what you're saying. It's been an amazing year, I'm just now able to find a bit of time for gaming, hence this thread. And hence my inability to get up to Longmont Sterling

But some day, I'll make it !

I'll keep you all updated as to what I find. So far there definitely is an interest in geting something together. So stay tuned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Kloosterman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Iain, got your message asking about Spacey Gamers and decided to reply here.

Spacey Gamers is a game group where most of us live in southwest Denver. Many of us met while working at Lockheed Martin and still work in the aerospace industry (hence the name).

We meet at Attactix (a game store at Hampden and Chambers in Aurora) every other Monday at 6:30 'til 10 pm and every other Wednesday (the weeks we don't meet at Attactix) at my house at Sheridan and Hampden. The "every other week" schedule is to help accomadate as many members as possible - some can do Wednesday, some Mondays.

Attactix's has been very good to us. It has open board gaming night on Mondays, so everyone is welcome, not just Spacey Gamer members. They have lots of room and you get to meet new people that feel just as excited about games as you do!

Spacey Gamers is always looking for new members. We currently have about 11 members, 7 of which I would call "active". To see our current schedule, go to spaceygamers.org. If you are a registered Yahoo member you can see our calander. If you would rather not register, just send me a geek-mail and I will be happy to let you know when the date and time of the next session.

The next couple of sessions are Monday, Oct 30 at Attactix and then Wednesday, Nov 8 at my house. If you are interested in the Monday session, just show up at Attactix. If Wednesday works better for you, send me a geek-mail.

Spacey Gamers also puts together a CabinCon each year. We rent a cabin in the mountains and 8 to 10 of us play games for 4 days. This year, it is Nov 2-5 (this weekend) at Grand Lake. If you are feeling brave and want to come up for a day or two, let me know.

Iain, if you meet at a coffee house or bookstore with your new group, let me know and I will pass the info along to the rest of the group. Not sure that I can make it, but some others maybe able too.

Thanks for the interest and hope to see some of you at the gaming table!

Spacey Craig

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Fischer
United States
Wheat Ridge
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in Lakewood and would be interested in a West Denver game group. Most nights of the week with the exception of Tuesday are good for me. I'm not sure I'd be able to attend every week (I have a young son), but I'd definitely be there as often as possible. Someone earlier mentioned the Barnes and Noble at Denver West. That would also be a good place for me!

Thanks! Looking forward to it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Craig, thanks for the introduction to your group.

I don't want people to start going nuts about the Barnes & Noble in Denver West, as I recall they don't have the largest tables or seating area. But they are one of the locals I've be considering.

I thought I'd get a feel for where people are located and then propose a couple sites. Let's give it a couple days to see where people live and then we'll discuss local, date & time.

Thanks for your interest everyone !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Iain -- Sounds interesting. I live near Alameda and Union, so west Lakewood would be great for me, including B&N at Denver West. Might also consider Borders at the Mills. I think their available space is about the same as the B&N.

Weekends are out for me, but Monday through Thursday evenings are fine. We do our family gaming every Saturday.

What sort of games are you thinking about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Webster
United States
Littleton
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Iain,

Thanks for the message about this; I fear I would have missed it otherwise. I've been buried in work, so have been rather incognito lately. However, I'm a bit freer for a while (freer? Oh, well). I'm quite interested, though my wife might tell you that I'm already spread pretty thin. I start rehearsals for a play in your area (the E-vent center, Kipling & Colfax) this month, and they'll be every weeknight save Fridays unti January, when the shows start. Like Gerald, weekends will be difficult for me, as that's often the only time I get to kick back at home. Still, I'd like to take a shot at it from time to time. The good news is, our little game group would probably jump at the chance to meet some other gamers in a neutral setting. What we've been doing is, every six to eight weeks, meeting at one of the group's home, with dinner and the whole thing, so we mostly yak and gossip rather than play, and the original group of folks is missing the actual game play.

All that yakking aside, I'd like to get into this, both just to play and to meet some 'Geeks and good folks. I know Chris Bailey (ixnay66) would probably be interested as well. I've met him (at the Genghis Con in 2005) and would recommend him as a very good fellow and probably a tough gamer!

Let me discuss this idea with my group. We could probably ultimately put together some local megagroup! You know, like Power Station or something, all star gamers...

Just kidding. Sounds like fun. Please keep me informed, and thanks for the idea and energy.

g

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Stubner
United States
Englewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I didn’t think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows -- Bart Simpson
mbmbmbmbmb
gary_webster wrote:
The good news is, our little game group would probably jump at the chance to meet some other gamers in a neutral setting.

I don't know about this statement Gary. I have invited the gang to the Park Meadow Borders group and have yet to see one of them. I know several live right here in Highlands Ranch. Quite a bit closer than Golden or Lakewood. BTW, I see Chris at the PM Borders regulary.

Pete

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Gerald, the types of games I envision playing will depend upon what people in the group like and bring to the table. Personally, I'm looking to play medium weight Euros (and Ameri-trash), and I see this on most of your personal top ten's. I'm talking about titles like Through the Desert, Puerto Rico, Torres, El Grande, Tigris & Euprate, Traders of Genoa, and those are just the ones that start with the letter "T". I'd like to try new stuff, and, if you're like me, you have a list of games that you have trouble getting your wife and kids to play with you. For example, I'd like to play Speed Circuit, Zertz, and half a dozen other titles I like but can't find opponents to play.

I think we'll also play "lighter" fair, no insult intended. Things like Ticket to Ride, and Bohansa because I'd like to play with a different group that my usual crew.

I like wargames, but I can't see playing games greater than 2 hours in length in a coffee shop setting. . . let alone games with such small bits :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
citizen k wrote:
Gerald, the types of games I envision playing will depend upon what people in the group like and bring to the table. Personally, I'm looking to play medium weight Euros (and Ameri-trash), and I see this on most of your personal top ten's. I'm talking about titles like Through the Desert, Puerto Rico, Torres, El Grande, Tigris & Euprate, Traders of Genoa, and those are just the ones that start with the letter "T". I'd like to try new stuff, and, if you're like me, you have a list of games that you have trouble getting your wife and kids to play with you. For example, I'd like to play Speed Circuit, Zertz, and half a dozen other titles I like but can't find opponents to play.

I think we'll also play "lighter" fair, no insult intended. Things like Ticket to Ride, and Bohansa because I'd like to play with a different group that my usual crew.

I like wargames, but I can't see playing games greater than 2 hours in length in a coffee shop setting. . . let alone games with such small bits :-)

All of that sounds good to me. Most of the games we play fall in your "lighter" list, but I would be interested in learning some of those from the first list. I agree about the wargames. I played them many years ago and would still enjoy them, but setup and playing time is prohibitive for this sort of plan. I'll respond to your survey regarding nights and locations. Hope we can work something out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Cramer
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Iain,

I'm open to gaming on the west side of town. Keep me posted on when and where. My wife isn't much of a gamer, but I think that I should be able to attend once a month. I have a few co-workers that might be interested.

I am also at around C-470 and Kipling, but will go where it works best for the group.

--Jeff C.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Webster
United States
Littleton
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point, Pete!

Actually, what I'd like to do is to get our more serious game players, namely you, me, Dan, Kurt, and Grant, and get together with the groups at Park Meadows or this new westside group. I think that for too many of the gamers in my group, the game night has evolved into a social, let's see how much we can drink session. Hell, I was headed that way until this fall! When New England is sort of pooh-poohed because "the rules are too complicated," you gotta figure ...

We've also gotten into the "host prepares a huge dinner to start" mindset, which takes a couple of hours out of a game night and ensures that most folks start out semi-loaded and that the first game isn't over until at least 9 p.m. The games are fun when we play, but there are always a lot of beginner questions, even in games we've played before, because it's so infrequent and my other whines ... um, comments.

g

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Our first game night . . .

Well as amazing as it might seem, we have a consensus!* The coffee shop in the Barnes & Noble at Denver West** is the place to meet.

Thursday is the evening most of us could attend.

So here's what I propose, let's meet on the first and third Thursdays of the month at the Denver West Barnes & Noble from 7-9+ pm.***

Then, after the New Year we can decide if we'd like to meet more frequently, on another day, etc.

This would also mean that we start getting together *this* Thursday. I hope this isn't a problem. Please RSVP to let me know if you can attend.

I'd ask everyone to bring a game or two that they'd like to play. It might be better to stick to game that are medium sized and smaller until we have a better sense for how big the tables are at B&N.

I plan on bringing: Through the Desert, Ticket to Ride - Marklin, The Traders of Genoa, Titan the Arena, and Bohnanza.

I've launched a yahoo group where we can post threads about upcoming gatherings, RSVP, and the like. It includes a calendar of the upcoming game nights. It's the first time I've used yahoo groups, but I hopeful that it will give us an easy way to communicate. Please take a moment to join the group at:

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/westdenvergamers/

When you apply, let me know your BGG user name so I can place names to faces - so to speak :-)

OK so that's it. I look forward to meeting you all and having so fun gaming.

Cheers,

Iain Kanics
citizen k

* at least among those who can attend a game night at least twice a month

** the Barnes & Noble is located at 14347 West Colfax Ave in Lakewood, map at:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=14347+West+Colfax+Av...

***B&N is open until 11pm every night

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fiala
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a little new to these forums, so please let me know if I'm doing this wrong.

That sounds really cool - I'll have to let my wife Tammy know - she might be interested as well. She's really into games, and runs the Board Games area at BenCon each summer.

I'm the organizer of the denver Boardgames Meetup - among other times, we also meet at the Atlanta Bread Company at Wadsworth and Alameda at 2pm on the last Sunday of each month. Feel free to drop on by sometime, or visit our website. (http://boardgames.meetup.com/24/)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John -- Thanks for the info about the Sunday afternoon games. I live near Alameda and Union, so Atlanta Bread would be very close. However, my weekends are usually pretty well scheduled, so might not be able to make it. Our Thursday nights at Barnes and Noble, Denver West, are available to you, too. If you want to join us, send a GeekMail to me or citizen k, and we'll get you on our Yahoo group for information about each week's plans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.