Kirk Thomas
United States
North Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll admit, I kind of reject them out of hand. And I'm sure there are some good ones. But do a search on "the dice game" or "the card game" and it's an amazing number of recognizable (even hit) titles that have been redone as a dice or a card game.

Catan takes the cake, having multiple card and dice versions. Man, we just can NOT get enough of Catan!

Don't we have enough games in our lives to not have to apply dice to everything?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Maciver
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
'cos £££££££££

That's why

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory Gilliland
Canada
TOronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
the quick answer: easy money.

you don't need to design an entirely new game from scratch. you take some fundamentals from a key game, then you sit down and try to adapt it. In the end, you're going to get good sales from a larger pool of people. you're going to get sales from fans of the original game, fans of dice games or card games but not the original, fans that heard good things about the series.

it's the same reason why Marvel releases 1,000,000 superhero movies, why Catan has 1000 editions, why Call of Duty and sports video games are annual releases. It's using the franchise (for lack of a better word) to sell the new product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Clegg
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
IMDB has an entry for Transformers 6. Just sayin'.

There are a few diamonds in the rough, though. Roll for the Galaxy stands on its own and has replaced Race for the Galaxy for a lot of people. I enjoy Zooloretto: The Dice Game more than Zooloretto. Alhambra: The Card Game predates Alhambra. Just follow the ratings and you should be okay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Apostle Green
United States
Lake County
Illinois
flag msg tools
That is not dead which can eternal lie
mbmbmbmbmb
moramis wrote:
IMDB has an entry for Transformers 6. Just sayin'.

Umm.... they're on 6 now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
They often have a similar feel/flow as the original game, but usually in a more compact and often simpler form.
Even though the base game is a card game, BANG! and BANG! The Dice Game are a good example of this. Bang! is a pretty fun game, but Bang! The Dice Game still has the essence of regular Bang! (the hidden roles/shooting people/etc.) but it's quicker and easier to explain and it plays a lot faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Some people prefer different styles of games over others. Also, when a company has a successful property, why not continue with that magic to keep the company afloat.

I personally like it, because some versions are streamlined and improved (sometimes).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The OP already knew the answer, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrizio Piacentini
msg tools
Hi and sry for any inconvenience but I am very nervous, because I cannot see any possibility to post something WITHOUT using the repply-function!

Please can anyone help me. Furthermore I cannot believe that something that should be so obvious is so difficult to find such a button to make a post with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Donmacbru wrote:
'cos £££££££££

That's why

Translation: 'cuz $$$$$$$$$
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dice and card games are more portable.

Pete (thinks that's a main reason why)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

The question is 'Why isn't there a dice/card game version of every game!'

Just think:

- Advanced Squad Leader - the card game
- Yahtzee: the Card Game - the dice game
- Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game - the dice game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Paul
Germany
Offenburg
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
caracfergus wrote:

Just think:

The Second one made me really laugh

I think it is for the:
- money
- To sell the game to people who like Dice, card or shorter games
- faster to design

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
Aliso Viejo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes it is for making the base game better while making some

Thebes got better with Thebes: The Tomb Raiders
BANG! got better with BANG! The Dice Game

Sometimes its so wild that we have to have a dice and card version:

Qwixx and Qwixx: Das Kartenspiel!! ?! surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
caracfergus wrote:

Just think:

This reminds me of some video game critic who wrote that he hoped that there would be a movie made that was based on the video game Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game (which was, of course, based on the movie Street Fighter: The Movie).

The new game would be called Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game: The Movie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know but I made a card game of this thread where each reason is on its own card. I'm thinking I need an expansion already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Thomas
United States
North Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ixnay66 wrote:
The OP already knew the answer, right?

I did, to the extent that it's about (easy) money - name/brand recognition, easier to design, etc.

I guess a more accurate question would have been - why does anybody care about these games?. If I really think a game needs to be streamlined and improved, I'm not really thinking much of that game to begin with. I'm not thinking, "hmmm, I bet a dice version would make this thing rock!" I mean, how much more streamlined does Ticket To Ride need to be? And yet, there it is - TTR the card game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
portability

set-up and play time reduced

usually more streamlined or more acceptable as a filler

you don't feel as bad destroying the "light" version of the game. I know its not true for all (games and people) but if you have the board version and the card version it kinda feels like you care less about that card version like the board is collectible or something.

ps. I wouldn't take ticket to ride on a camping trip, I would take the card game version though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Thomas
United States
North Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
caracfergus wrote:

Just think:

Also waiting on Diplomacy: The Dice Game. All the fun of the original without all the need to talk so much, with just a ton touch of luck thrown in to give every player more of an equal chance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stlkt wrote:

Also waiting on Diplomacy: The Dice Game. All the fun of the original without all the need to talk so much, with just a ton touch of luck thrown in to give every player more of an equal chance!

HHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mandy Benanav
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nbread wrote:
caracfergus wrote:

Just think:

This reminds me of some video game critic who wrote that he hoped that there would be a movie made that was based on the video game Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game (which was, of course, based on the movie Street Fighter: The Movie).

The new game would be called Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game: The Movie.

Not quite as dumb but there is now a comic Fables: The Wolf Among us, based on the game The Wolf Among us, based on the comic, Fables. Sooo.

@OP: Because selling things based on existing brands generally works and is low-risk for those who are financially involved. It is the same reason every new hot book gets a film adaptation, and so on.

I suggest this somewhat old article: http://www.wordplayer.com/columns/wp42.Mental.Real.Estate.ht... written by a veteran screenwriter. It's specifically about why Hollywood is so prone to licensing existing brands for new films vs. making original IP, but easily explains the thought process behind adaptations of existing brands in any medium.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad DeShon
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
Quality Affordable Gaming Tables - BoardGameTables.com
badge
Quality Affordable Gaming Tables - BoardGameTables.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Samurai: The Card Game is better than Samurai.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Carroll
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ThroughTheDeckGlass wrote:
I don't know but I made a card game of this thread where each reason is on its own card. I'm thinking I need an expansion already.

Done! In the expansion there are cards for various comments invalidating each reason... if the value of all the comments totaled exceeds a particular reason value than it gets tossed. Or there's the dice version where you just roll to see if the reason is a success or not.... working on the deluxe version now with specialty dice and character miniatures each with their own unique power values (persuasion, logic, geekrating?)

Regarding why we need dice and/or card versions of so many games: because cards and dice are awesome... personally I like to make my own cards and dice game out of everything I possibly can, I've got a mini deck of cards and 8mm dice I carry with me everywhere just so I'm always prepared for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.