Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
david funch
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Here's the rules, I post someone's comment on how horrible a particular game is and you try and guess the game they're talking about. Not sure how hard this will be. I'll choose comments that describe the game or give clues to what it is without giving too much away. Anyways, here's ten to start us off.

Edit: Only those in black have not been correctly guessed/deduced yet.

1) The buzz on this game wasn't true, it isn't horrible... it is much worse that that. If played under the correct circumstances all players could suffer extreme seizures much worse than anything brought on by Pokemon. The seizures are brought on by an unexplainable color scheme, infinite blind bidding, and constant unfruitful card draws. However, most symptoms are brought on by the plain lack of fun found in this 'game.'

2) Some of the most unintuitive rules I have ever seen. It's clear that the game is on the brink of being broken, and the finicky rules are the only things that keep it from falling apart. Cold, hard, math. Hard to teach, not fun to play. One of the few top-10 games I truly dislike.

3) No better than BLARF. If you keep detailed enough notes, this is not a game, but simply an abstract (and dull) puzzle to solve - except that you can get hosed by a very low dice roll, which effectively makes you lose a turn for no reason. Wretched game.

4) Every major area of this design is mediocre. The systems combine to make it a logistical pain in the ass to accomplish even simple things. That overhead saps energy from the interesting things one would like to accomplish during the game. It uses a Puerto Rico- or Citadels-like role choice mechanism, yet imbalances the strength of the roles such that many players don't really have a choice. The unit types don't mesh together to encourage any sort of combined-arms approach. It's clear that the designers knew what good, elegant game mechanics were and tried to include some in the game. They failed to do so.

5) I can't in good conscience rate this game on the quality of the parts, or on the potential of future expansions. The game itself is a dull coin flip livened by beautiful figures and complex terrain. The only interesting mecahnic is having to plan the next three turns ahead of time. I can see that it is a great game to teach kids how to play games, but I don't need it for that. A game that is kinda fun to play, but that doesn't grab you and make you think about it all hours of the night is the definition of a 6.

I bought this to play BattleTech on the terrain, and I expect to buy a second copy. But that's all it does for me.

6) While interesting conceptually, it is quite long (and not varied enough to soften the lenght) and random at times (a game based on long term planning that can be affected so much by chance isn't good for me). There are also some "take that!" elements introducing a diplomatic aspect (maybe fitting the theme, but prolonging the game and creating a "metagame" of whining and negotiations).
Too many games with a better ratio between "fun & engagement" and "energy & time spent" have become available in the last ten years.

7) This game is slow, long, has an overly large number of components and elements, and all for naught. Turns can easily come down to draw a card, read the text, lose your turn. There's often little to no way out of tight spots, the endgame is an orgy of pointless dice rolling.

Random but yet ponderous. Slow, boring and pointless.

8) Might as well just play rummy and save yourself some money. Yes, it's very much a card game in disguise. That doesn't make it a bad game but it loses a lot of points for being dishonest for the sole reason of a higher price tag.

It also comes with lots of quality plastic figures that are all useless. Every single one of them could have easily been represented by a token piece.

9) I had rated this a "7" due to the fun toy factor, but I recently got this for my kids and three aspects of the machine simply don't work (the boot, the hand and the pool). The quality is WAY down from when I was a kid. If you want to get this for YOUR kids I highly advise getting an old used copy.

10) No historical tactical strategy game should be this riddled with luck. Despite the beautiful production and obvious thought and research that went into the scenarios i was disgusted by this game due to either not being able to employ any of my tactics due to luck of the draw on one occassion and having them crippled or frozen by cheese imbalance/luck on others. I should say that i only played it 3 times and was not compelled to give it more of a chance as i did not own it. Because of that i gave it a 3 instead of the 1 i believe it deserves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OH! OH! I know #5!

Is it Heroscape?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david funch
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Good job! 1 down, 9 to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
wow #9's gotta be Mouse Trap. For #2 I'm guessing Power Grid or Age of Steam. wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Go Huskies!...oh, well
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
OK, let's try this...

#1: Fiji
#2: Power Grid
#3: ?
#4: Wallenstein
#5: Heroscape
#6: Die Macher
#7: War of the Ring?
#8: Ticket to Ride
#9: MouseTrap
#10: Memoir '44

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david funch
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Slowcorner has em half right. Spoilers reveal which ones.

Power Grid
HeroScape
Die Macher
Mouse Trap
Mem '44

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dieringer
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
badge

4 is TI:3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll take a stab at the remaining four:

1: Tower of Babel
3: Clue
7: Betrayal at the House of Hill
8: Taj Mahal (???)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Logging plays since 2004
badge
Oh, so you actually think about what you are saying?
mbmbmbmbmb
8 Cleopatra and the Society of Architects

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david funch
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Only three left to get: 1,7, and 8. Here's the current correct answer list with who got what first.

2-Power Grid (slowcorner)
3-Clue (coyotek)
4-Twilight Imperium 3rd (chemist)
5-Heroscape (del esau)
6-Die Macher (slowcorner)
9-Mouse Trap (slowcorner)
10-Mem '44 (slowcorner)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
ConnCon 2018 March 23, 24, 25 in Stamford, CT
badge
mbmbmb
1 = Rocketville?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david funch
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Good job! Csigs gets number 1 correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
8 sounds like Shadows over camelot to me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
glennallen
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pothocket wrote:

7) This game is slow, long, has an overly large number of components and elements, and all for naught. Turns can easily come down to draw a card, read the text, lose your turn. There's often little to no way out of tight spots, the endgame is an orgy of pointless dice rolling.

Random but yet ponderous. Slow, boring and pointless.

Arkham Horror

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david funch
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
hibikir and helenoftroy finish us up with correctly guessing/deducing the last two. I'll post another ten sometime Tuesday Evening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
ConnCon 2018 March 23, 24, 25 in Stamford, CT
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks. Fun game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.