Hide
21 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: PLEASE HEEEELP ME rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: bad-title [+] [View All]
Fabrizio Piacentini
msg tools
Can anyone explain me how I can post something WITHOUT using the reply-function!

I know, its incredible, but I really cant find any possibillity like a button to make a simple post with!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The reply button just lets you post. The quote button posts and quotes the referenced post's text.

What you're looking for is the reply button, it's just named differently here than on other sites. On many other forums (fora?) the reply button does what the quote button does here.

Pete (actually remembers being confused about this when he started here)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Where is your rope?
mbmbmbmbmb
Within a thread, the "Reply" button basically does exactly what you seem to want--let you post to the thread. Unless you quote from the post where the button is, your post will just look like a new post in the thread. BGG does not display the flow of a given thread the way, for example, reddit does. There is no visible divergence(?) or tree structure within a given thread.

Hope that helps some.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrizio Piacentini
msg tools
plezercruz wrote:
The reply button just lets you post. The quote button posts and quotes the referenced post's text.

What you're looking for is the reply button, it's just named differently here than on other sites. On many other forums (fora?) the reply button does what the quote button does here.

Pete (actually remembers being confused about this when he started here)

As you can see the quote-button was not that what I am looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fishfactory wrote:
Can anyone explain me how I can post something WITHOUT using the reply-function!

I know, its incredible, but I really cant find any possibillity like a button to make a simple post with!!!

If you mean "post something in an existing thread", what's wrong with using "reply" (if you aren't quoting something) or "quote" (if you are quoting something)?

If you mean "post something new, creating a new thread", then use "post" in a forum (not thread) page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrizio Piacentini
msg tools
esirof wrote:
Within a thread, the "Reply" button basically does exactly what you seem to want--let you post to the thread. Unless you quote from the post where the button is, your post will just look like a new post in the thread. BGG does not display the flow of a given thread the way, for example, reddit does. There is no visible divergence(?) or tree structure within a given thread.

Hope that helps some.

Sorry but there is an obvious difference between using the reply function and the way you are postign in this thread. Because when I click on reply there appears a header in my post with a headline.

And I dont want this headline in my post!

Hope that anyone now understands me.

Just explain me how YOU post something without using reply or quote!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fishfactory wrote:
esirof wrote:

Hope that helps some.

Sorry but there is an obvious difference between using the reply function and the way you are postign in this thread. Because when I click on reply there appears a header in my post with a headline.

You are confused. The subject is appearing only because you're viewing a link to the post you just made. To see this, click on the date/time of a different comment and see that the subject appears there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test.

Edit: I'll be damned.

Pete (never noticed that before)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrizio Piacentini
msg tools
OMG ... THAT was the solution!!!

Thank you very much Russ ... I like you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Where is your rope?
mbmbmbmbmb
fishfactory wrote:

If you want to start a new, unrelated thread, then you do that from the main page of the appropriate forum. Isn't that exactly what you did to start THIS thread? You made a post and you made the headline. It's all yours.

If you are posting within a thread, then you are, in fact, responding to that particular thread and thus it gets the headline associated that thread, along with an "Re:".

I'm sorry if I'm not following your question correctly.

EDIT: Nevermind. I see you got an answer to your question, even if I am no closer to understanding what the problem was
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fishfactory wrote:

The rest of the story...

When you hit reply you get a "Subject" for your post.

If you don't change it, then the "Subject" is ignored for viewing the post within in the thread.

If You do change the "Subject" then the new subject will be displayed in the thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Where is your rope?
mbmbmbmbmb
herace wrote:
fishfactory wrote:

The rest of the story...

If you don't change it, then the "Subject" is ignored for viewing the post within in the thread.

If You do change the "Subject" then the new subject will be displayed in the thread.

Huh. I'm learning a lot here. I guess I never gave the mechanics of posting on BGG much thought.

I'm glad you guys were able to help the OP. I noticed him stressing hard about posting in another thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is Herb's fork in the thread as indicated by a new subject
esirof wrote:
herace wrote:
fishfactory wrote:

The rest of the story...

Huh. I'm learning a lot here. I guess I never gave the mechanics of posting on BGG much thought.

I'm glad you guys were able to help the OP. I noticed him stressing hard about posting in another thread.

See new subject line for this post...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Where is your rope?
mbmbmbmbmb
NEATO. I'll use this all the time.
See my new subject line. Yeah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Where is your rope?
mbmbmbmbmb
But seriously, wouldn't a feature like this be more useful if there were some way of seeing a thread only by its subject lines?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
esirof wrote:
But seriously, wouldn't a feature like this be more useful if there were some way of seeing a thread only by its subject lines?

Since BGG posters always stick to a single point in a post and never respond to ideas from several posts, then sure, that would be a great idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
It's weird. I had to ask too.

Anyway, welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is NOT a fork in the thread, but simply an indication that there may be a new subject ...
herace wrote:
esirof wrote:
herace wrote:
fishfactory wrote:

The rest of the story...

See new subject line for this post...

Yes; but a new subject line does not make a "fork". Because BGG has a simple time-based reply system, no one is actually creating little nested sets of conversation as in many other discussion forums; we are simply chipping in to add our thoughts (or rants, as the case may be ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Color me perplexed
It is a bit strange that there isn't a "reply to thread" type button at the top and bottom of every thread page. This seems to be the standard for most forum software. At least at most of the forums I frequent, anyway...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CalicoDave
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember this confusing me when I first started posting also. "But I don't want to put a subject I just want to reply to the existing one!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
russ wrote:
fishfactory wrote:
esirof wrote:

Hope that helps some.

You are confused. The subject is appearing only because you're viewing a link to the post you just made. To see this, click on the date/time of a different comment and see that the subject appears there.

Okay.. i figured out what Russ is talking about, but I still have no idea what the original issue was... LOL wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.