Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Glen More» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can you use Loch Ness to move a clan member, then place Loch Oich? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marko Naumanen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's say I have Loch Ness ("once per turn, activate any tile") and I want to take Loch Oich ("activate all tiles") from the board. However, I cannot place Loch Oich before moving my clan member one space next to a river. Can I use Loch Ness to activate a Village to move a clan member, then place Loch Oich next to the clan member, and then activate everything except the Village?

In short: can you activate Loch Ness on your turn before taking a tile?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a clever play to me. I don't see any restriction about the timing, other than one use per turn.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Colorado_Jeff wrote:
Sounds like a clever play to me. I don't see any restriction about the timing, other than one use per turn.


I'd actually say no, but agree it's somewhat ambiguous. Note that the publisher "approved" a ruling in this thread in which it was described that Loch Ness could only be used after you take your new tile. But it wasn't specifically about this case.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that reply changes things. It would be good to have clarification from the publisher/designer on this one.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico
Italy
Val di Non
Trentino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vizikahn wrote:
Let's say I have Loch Ness ("once per turn, activate any tile") and I want to take Loch Oich ("activate all tiles") from the board. However, I cannot place Loch Oich before moving my clan member one space next to a river.

Then you certainly cannot. On page 3 the rules say:
Quote:
On his turn, the player moves his figure to any space containing a tile
(as long as he can legally place the tile in his display and pay for it

As you cannot legally place the tile, you cannot take it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The potential ambiguity lies with Loch Ness: "once per turn, activate any tile", as in, can you activate before you move your figure? I believe "no", but I can't find any concrete official ruling there.

Fede__ wrote:
vizikahn wrote:
Let's say I have Loch Ness ("once per turn, activate any tile") and I want to take Loch Oich ("activate all tiles") from the board. However, I cannot place Loch Oich before moving my clan member one space next to a river.

Then you certainly cannot. On page 3 the rules say:
Quote:
On his turn, the player moves his figure to any space containing a tile
(as long as he can legally place the tile in his display and pay for it

As you cannot legally place the tile, you cannot take it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
A turn is as follows:

1) Move
2) Place
3) Activate
4) Draw

Powers of lochs change what is activated, not when activation occurs in the turn. It is only by inference, especially when comparing with other games, that we derive the question here as valid. So while the ambiguity is understandable, when we look at the rules as they are, in isolation, I think it is crystal clear that the answer is no.
9 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jaysachs wrote:
The potential ambiguity lies with Loch Ness: "once per turn, activate any tile", as in, can you activate before you move your figure? I believe "no", but I can't find any concrete official ruling there.


The official concrete ruling from the designer himself is right here.

Sleeran wrote:
The rules should should be more precise here:"Once per turn, during the activation phase, ..."

Enjoy the game!
Matthias
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.