Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alessio Mittiga
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the 2011 edition of the game.
I didn't know anything about american football until I bought this game.
I watched a lot of youtube tutorials of the real soprt, read a lot of wiki pages.
I played the basic rules: no problem.
I want to play the advanced rules, but I do not understand rule I in page 8.
I have these questions:

1) on the first example in Rule I, if the white die is 1, 2 or 3, do I simply refer to the running back card to resolve the play?
That is: Tony Dorsett card, linebuck column, right sub-column, row 10.

2) I completely do not understand the second example in reference to the cards displayed in page 2. It's white 5, colored 9 on a linebuck guessed right (0 linebackers): ok. I go to the Washington Redskins defensive card, linebuck column, 0 LB sub-column, row 9: defensive left tackle +1 or +6. So... what should I do now? How do I resolve the play? The rulebook instruct to check the left tackle defense number on the defensive rating card. In reference to page 2, should I refer to the Redskins' defensive rating (not displayed) card?
In my box, I have Philadelphia and San Francisco. I tried to use their offensive&defensive rating card to understand the rule.
On the Philadelphia Eagles' defensive rating card I clearly see who is the left tackle (Mike Patterson, def rating 5).
On the SF 49ers defensive rating card I cannot see the left tackle: I only see, left/right end, nose tackle, left/right outside LB, left/right inside LB, left/right cornerback, strong safety, free safety.

Sorry for the stupid questions, but I'm completely new to the game and to this sport blushblushblushninjaninjaninja

Thanks for your patience and help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Mittiga
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
organo_inutile wrote:

On the SF 49ers defensive rating card I cannot see the left tackle

I reread the rules and it is my understanding that the l/r tackle is replaced by the nose tackle in a 3-4 defense: am I correct? blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Hawkins
United States
Mooresville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that is correct. The numbers in the base defense types (e.g., 3-4, 4-3) indicate the number of "down" linemen and linebackers. The 3-4 Defense includes 3 "down" linemen (1 nose tackle and 2 defensive ends), while the 4-3 includes 4 "down" linemen (2 defensive tackles and 2 defensive ends).

Welcome to SOM Football!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Sullivan
United States
Glen Carbon
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To answer your first question, yes, you have it right. On a white die roll of 1, 2 or 3, you'll look at the runner's card (if it's a running play) or the quarterback's card (if it's a passing play).

As Robert said, welcome to SOM! Feel free to post whatever questions you have. I imagine that trying to learn the game and the sport at the same time will be an extra challenge.

All the best!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.