Popular Tags: [View All]
Shaun Murphy
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I'll be in Cambridge from Mar 8th - 20th for a work-related training course and would hate to have to spend the evenings at the hotel.

Are there any gamers who would like to meet and enjoy some board or card games? I'd love to use the opportunity to meet new people! I enjoy a variety of games from Dominion to Small World, Mage Wars or the epic Twilight Imperium. Just take a look at my collection or my logged plays (every single play since 2007) to get an idea.

Also, are there any (gaming) venues / stores you would recommend? A quick google search revealed http://innersanctumcollectibles.com/ and I just also found this related thread: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/369351/great-board-game-stor...

Shaun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Cosgrove
United Kingdom
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi Shaun,

There are a number of regular gaming groups in and around Cambridge that are all listed here - http://www.gamesincambridge.co.uk/

The main one I always try to get to each month is the Grad Pad games event which happens on the first Saturday of each month and is in one of the university buildings in the middle of Cambridge and starts at ~10am for the full day. Unfortunately this is on saturday 7th, so may not work for you unless you can pull your travel plans forward a little.

There are also a couple of weekly gaming meetups at people's homes listed on that website on Wednesday and Friday and I understand that the hosts are very happy for new people to come along, you'll just need to email them on the address provided on the appropriate link from that web-page above.

There's also another full day of games in Ely - http://elygamesday.webs.com/ - on the 3rd Saturday of the month, but again, that's 21st when you're gone back, unfortunately.

If you're able to make the 7th Grad pad event, I hope to see you there!

Damien

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Mazumdar
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Shaun...

To answer the bit of your e-mail that Damien didn't, there are two physical games stores in the city. Inner Sanctum is one and is very good. Equally good (and a little more unexpected) is the academic bookshop opposite the main entrance to Trinity (Heffers) has a good games section too. Both have differing emphases - Inner Sanctum also does RPGs, miniatures, CCGs etc, so have a bias toward games of similarly strong genre themes. Heffers tends toward the newer and gateway games. Both have a good range though and both are worth checking out.

Our group will be meeting the day before you arrive but Heffers will be having a session from 18:30-wee_small_hours on Sat 14th and if you're motorised you might also want to check out the St Ives group (20 mins or so north of Cambridge) from 18:30-22:30 on Thurs 12th.

And one day I'll be the first to respond rather than forever following in Damien's wake!

Cheers,
Paul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zilfalon Keratol
Germany
Eching
flag msg tools
badge
youtube.com/zilfalon twitch.tv/zilfalon
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude,

I am *almost* in the area. Will be in Egham in the week of the 9th, haha.

But I hardly believe I will have time to get to you or even to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Cosgrove
United Kingdom
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmb
SkyRider wrote:
And one day I'll be the first to respond rather than forever following in Damien's wake!

Sorry!

Your reply was probably more useful than mine though as all the dates I could provide were slightly outside his window
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Murphy
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys, thanks a lot! I'll try to get in contact with the Wednesday and Friday groups. Unfortunately flights are already booked so I won't make it to the Saturday meetings.

Thanks also for the academic bookshop suggestion. I'll make sure to check it out.

@Zilfalon
We'll surely meet somewhere else soon enough.

Shaun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Murphy
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The email address for the Friday night group could not be reached. Does anybody know another way to contact the group?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
Hi: I'd be up for some gaming one day. I don't have any formal weekly meetup arranged but I live near the center, I have a large table and even some chairs, and there's a beer store nearby enough to be convenient. Weekends are preferable for me because I'm mainly lazy during the week. Anyway, let me know if you're interested...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.