9 Posts

Elder Sign: Gates of Arkham» Forums » Variants

Subject: Mixing in the old Mythos cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lipa LeChuck
msg tools
mb
The Mythos deck in GoA replaces the original ES+UF deck. But has anybody considered putting some of the old Mythos cards in the new deck nevertheless? I kind of like some of the old cards, especially from the UF expansion... Any thoughts on this?

Of course, mixing all Mythos cards together would dilute the new effects such as Gates too much, that's for sure...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
My initial idea:

* Shuffle the ES/UF mythos cards into a separate "Museum Mythos" deck (using UF's master mythos cards - or not - as desired)

* Mix three ("Permanent Exhibit") or more ("Visiting Exhibit") ES/UF Arkham Adventure cards into the GoA Arkham Adventure deck.

* When an ES/UF Arkham Adventure is face down, it has the ability "At Midnight: Draw a Museum Mythos card". This is in addition to the normal Mythos card - and is discarded the next Midnight. Each card that triggers beyond the first adds a doom token to the track instead.

Of course, if you only mix in three AA cards, then they might not show up, and if they do, they are likely to be flipped just like the "few" similar GoA AA cards. So I'm not sure if this will have much of an effect, or whether adding more cards will detract from the GoA elements. Just wanted to throw my own idea out there in case it inspires someone else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's easily doable: just remove those Mythos cards that mention the UF entrance sheets.
To avoid dilution, you could define a standard size for the overall Mythos deck, and add different cards from the old set each session.

I was also thinking of customizing the doom track of the old Ancient Ones with the gate icons.

Come up with some kind of algorithm for gate icon distribution-for instance(the difference between Elder Signs needed and the size of the doom track), and just distribute them randomly based on a die roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Horner
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
magmaxtic wrote:
I think it's easily doable: just remove those Mythos cards that mention the UF entrance sheets.
To avoid dilution, you could define a standard size for the overall Mythos deck, and add different cards from the old set each session.

I was also thinking of customizing the doom track of the old Ancient Ones with the gate icons.

Come up with some kind of algorithm for gate icon distribution-for instance(the difference between Elder Signs needed and the size of the doom track), and just distribute them randomly based on a die roll.

Pumping up the original ancient ones might not be necessary. Some of the Ancient Ones are already very difficult without any alterations (ask Julia).

Tsathoggua is going to be a real pain as the doubled entrance costs is a killer for GoA, since the entrance abilities are a lot more crucial now. Healing is more rare and more costly and there is no guaranteed way to buy items or blessings now (you have to use the card location abilities now, and the ones you want may not be available). And Shub-Niggurath, Shudde M'ell, and Abhoth may be difficult enough without any help. Remember, everything is harder in GoA with tougher monsters,more difficult mythos, events, and face down adventures. The gate openings triggered by the doom track are only a small part of the difficulty increase.

I'd suggest trying the original ancient ones as they are first. Then see if they are too easy and make adjustments based on how much more challenge is needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know. So far we've had no problem collecting stacks of trophies with nothing obvious to spend them on. Paying four for the streets actions wouldn't be a massive problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LipaB wrote:
The Mythos deck in GoA replaces the original ES+UF deck. But has anybody considered putting some of the old Mythos cards in the new deck nevertheless? I kind of like some of the old cards, especially from the UF expansion... Any thoughts on this?

Of course, mixing all Mythos cards together would dilute the new effects such as Gates too much, that's for sure...

I have indeed considered it, but I've only played GoA 3 times so far, so haven't felt the need to shake it up just yet.

There are 30 mythos cards in GoA, so adding 15-20 from UF and/or the base game shouldn't dilute things too much. You might get a few less gates, but that would be compensated for by other bad stuff.

Obviously there are some that wouldn't work well with GoA, but there are plenty that would.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gone through the old Mythos cards(with the UF expansion included).
It seems only four cards can't be used with GOA, as they affect the old entrance sheets, and one affects an Other World card if played the old way, so you can remove it as well. You can easily mix in the rest.

I'd say, before each session create a custom 30-card deck with 15 cards from UF+base and 15 cards from GOA, all mixed in randomly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
I spent 200 GeekGold...
badge
...and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems that mixing in the Master Mythos cards could be an easy way to ratchet up the difficulty. I think a couple mention closing the Entrance, but the rest should still work just fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
So did anyone try this yet? I'm curious about doing this too. Or does diluting the gate-opening effects of the new cards really cause problems?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.