Kiri Naiman
United States
South Deerfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
If, during the course of activating a building, I draw a message which
links two other buildings which have been activated in the current turn,
may I immediately turn in the message for 30 ducats, or must I wait for
a subsequent trip between the two buildings to earn the money?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We always play you must wait. We cash in the Message only while the tower is in the second building, and if you forgot to deliver your message at the time then you forgot. But you're right, it's not clear in the rules.

And by the way, the buildings don't have to have been activated, just visited.

Edit: To clarify... we take that line of thinking because (a) it's a fairly natural interpretation of "delivering a message" and (b) the strict tense in the rules, which says it's only necessary for the tower "to visit both buildings". If you could cash in a message after the fact it would be likely explicitly stated (being not quite so natural) and it would likely say it was necessary for the tower "to have visited both buildings".

I know it's all just word smithing... I'm just saying why I believe we never even thought about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hartstein
United States
North Plainfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always played you could deliver a message at any time if tower pieces are on both locations. I see nothing in the rules to support our interpretation over yours, however.

I don't really like the "Oh, you forgot" portion of the way you play. I feel this way only because it forces the player delivering a message to interrupt the action of the game to deliver the message. Our way, you can just cash it in at the end of the turn right before the tower pieces are removed from the board. Your way, there's likely somebody in the middle of either taking an action or trying to conduct negotiations while another player is delivering a message, which is a little messy in a game where some groups have trouble keeping the game moving along.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The way we play is that at the end of the turn, we ask if anyone has any messages to deliver, and then we deliver them. I'd never considered delivering them in the middle of a turn.

The rules state "For a message to be delivered, it is only necessary for the trader tower to visit both buildings listed on the message in the same turn." There is nothing in the rules to say explicitly when the message card must be redeemed for cash. Since you can't visit both buildings simultaneously, it seems to me that it doesn't matter when during the turn you redeem the card. If it hinged on the word visits vs. visited, then you would need to argue that the tower visited the first building, and now visits the second building... and thus you've both visited and visits buildings during the turn...

I think by jgrundy's interpretation, you could argue that the message card must be in-hand during both visits -- thus, if the tower enters guild hall, then post office where you draw the message card, then city hall; if you drew a message for guild hall to city hall, you only carried it half way, so it shouldn't be valid...

I prefer our system - turn in messages at the end of each turn, just before you place ownership markers. It's much simpler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCat wrote:
I prefer our system - turn in messages at the end of each turn, just before you place ownership markers. It's much simpler.

What if you need the cash DURING the turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never seen anyone run out of money, so it hasn't been an issue. I expect if someone did need the money, I would let them turn in the message when desired.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Blue Dragon
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
TheCat wrote:

I think by jgrundy's interpretation, you could argue that the message card must be in-hand during both visits -- thus, if the tower enters guild hall, then post office where you draw the message card, then city hall; if you drew a message for guild hall to city hall, you only carried it half way, so it shouldn't be valid...

Disregarding the flexibility of the time frame to cash in, it's a matter of fact the the rules are not clear about having to possess the message card before the entire tower move or not. If one can draw the message card almost at the end or at the end of the tower move and cash in, it can be very much just a question of luck.

For this reason I prefer to handle it the way Joe Grundy is doing it. One has to first draw the message card hence to possess it before he can cash in for the subsequent delivery of messages. That can of course happen in the same turn when the post office was visited first but may also not be the case, for instance when the post office was visited at last.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.