Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad B
United States
Anderson
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so I like the idea of the Lord of the Rings Living Card Game. I like the deckbuilding and the set expansion packs containing new cards and story elements. I know LoTR is the only official LCG that's soloable. But is there anything that plays like it? I don't have a problem with the theme and will probably pick it up anyway, I'm just curious if there are other options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Maciel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go ahead and dive into it. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several soloable CCGs, with official solo rules, you can still buy on ebay including

Middle-earth
Mythos
Tomb Raider Collectible Card Game

Now they are out of print it's easier to buy in bulk and get complete sets, without the blind buying that proved annoying when buying random boosters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Meunier
United States
Woodstock
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the idea of an adventure card game, but LotR wasn't nearly as exciting or fun as I'd hoped. I picked up the Pathfinder card game and I absolutely love it. My first dozen plays were solo, and just a few days ago I persuaded my wife to play and now she loves it, too. Pathfinder also has quite a few expansion packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad B
United States
Anderson
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah that's kinda what I had narrowed it down to, either LotR or Pathfinder. I'll have to check out some playthrough videos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffrey_a_meunier wrote:
I love the idea of an adventure card game, but LotR wasn't nearly as exciting or fun as I'd hoped. I picked up the Pathfinder card game and I absolutely love it. My first dozen plays were solo, and just a few days ago I persuaded my wife to play and now she loves it, too. Pathfinder also has quite a few expansion packs.

I can't share that opinion (I love both games) but those are your two main options for an expandable card game that plays well solo. Note that in both games, you'll need to play 2 or more decks for the best experience.

I've heard good things about Dungeon Crawler but have never played it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Berard
United States
Wabash
IN
flag msg tools
Hit 'em high.
badge
Hit 'em low.
mbmbmbmbmb
kittenhoarder wrote:
I can't share that opinion (I love both games) but those are your two main options for an expandable card game that plays well solo. Note that in both games, you'll need to play 2 or more decks for the best experience.

I've heard good things about Dungeon Crawler but have never played it.

I will second this. I actually gave up playing the LoTR LCG in favor of Dungeon Crawler. The rules are very poorly written, but the website has great support and walks you through play (which is really quite straight forward) nicely. The starter box is pretty cheap, and there are several themed expansions for the game already, so there is plenty of opportunity to grow and customize your adventurers and encounters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bennetts
United Kingdom
Wellington
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game? Though for me it feels like single-player Dominion.

I have LOTR:LCG and really enjoy it. My first few plays though were hard, the mechanics of the game are pretty complex but once I got past that hurdle I really got into it. The encounters are challenging and quite thematic.

My enjoyment of the game is probably affected by my love of the books, if you're not such a fan of LOTR then the complexity and the likelyhood of crushing defeat may not appeal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="Earlybath"]How about Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game? Though for me it feels like single-player Dominion.
/q]
if this looks appealing I would suggest Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad B
United States
Anderson
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Earlybath wrote:
How about Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game? Though for me it feels like single-player Dominion.

I have LOTR:LCG and really enjoy it. My first few plays though were hard, the mechanics of the game are pretty complex but once I got past that hurdle I really got into it. The encounters are challenging and quite thematic.

My enjoyment of the game is probably affected by my love of the books, if you're not such a fan of LOTR then the complexity and the likelyhood of crushing defeat may not appeal.

I have everything Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game and do enjoy it. But like you said, it's single player Dominion. I'm looking for something a little more story-telling. My FLGS has a play copy of the LoTR base set. I'll try to get down there and try it out tonight (It's boardgame night). Wish they had one for Pathfinder. Maybe I can find a group there playing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad B
United States
Anderson
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spukky wrote:
Earlybath wrote:

if this looks appealing I would suggest Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game

I have tried and do really like Encounters. But not quite what I'm looking for. For the same reason as Marvel Legendary. Though Encounters does feel more storytelly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.