Subject: Continuous effect technologies and reset rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
H Chapman
United States
Lansdale
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Our group is split on what striking paragraph 4 does with regards to this situation:

When a reset occurs, if I have placed only one cube on a continuous effect tech that requires two cubes -- does that cube go back in the bag or can I leave it on the tech.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pa19443 wrote:
Our group is split on what striking paragraph 4 does with regards to this situation:

When a reset occurs, if I have placed only one cube on a continuous effect tech that requires two cubes -- does that cube go back in the bag or can I leave it on the tech.

Thanks in advance.

You may leave it on the tech.

You must place all cubes not on a continous effect spaces back into your bag. You may choose whether to put cubes on continous effect spaces back into your bag, or leave them in place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H Chapman
United States
Lansdale
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
jmathias wrote:
pa19443 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

You must place all cubes not on a continous effect spaces back into your bag. You may choose whether to put cubes on continous effect spaces back into your bag, or leave them in place.

Is this an official response??

If not, then I would like to explain why some of us see it differently. I understand how the answer given was arrived at: paragraph 5. But, I don't think it's as clear as that. One must look at the preceding paragraphs.

Paragraph 3 states that all cubes on activated (completed) technologies MUST be put back into the bag -- but that this rule does NOT apply to completed continuous technologies.

Paragraph 4 states that all cubes on all technologies that are not completed may be left on the technology. It does NOT differentiate between continuous and non-continuous technologies.

Therefore according to paragraph 4, cubes placed on continuous technologies that are not completed may remain.

So, what is the purpose of paragraph 5?? Since paragraph 4 already covered cubes on continuous technologies that are not completed, one point of view is that paragraph 5 merely is there to deal with the only case not covered by the previous paragraphs -- completed continuous technologies -- basically saying the cubes can stay if you want them to stay.

Now, if one believes rule 5 was written to cover completed continuous technologies, then striking rule 4 also causes cubes on continuous technologies that are not complete to be put back in the bag.

And, if the purpose of striking rule 4 was to stop players from burying cubes on technologies they never intend to finish, then why allow this to happen on continuous technologies??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pa19443 wrote:
jmathias wrote:
pa19443 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Is this an official response??

If not, then I would like to explain why some of us see it differently. I understand how the answer given was arrived at: paragraph 5. But, I don't think it's as clear as that. One must look at the preceding paragraphs.

Paragraph 3 states that all cubes on activated (completed) technologies MUST be put back into the bag -- but that this rule does NOT apply to completed continuous technologies.

Paragraph 4 states that all cubes on all technologies that are not completed may be left on the technology. It does NOT differentiate between continuous and non-continuous technologies.

Therefore according to paragraph 4, cubes placed on continuous technologies that are not completed may remain.

So, what is the purpose of paragraph 5?? Since paragraph 4 already covered cubes on continuous technologies that are not completed, one point of view is that paragraph 5 merely is there to deal with completed continuous technologies -- the only case not covered by the previous paragraphs -- basically saying the cubes can stay if you want them to stay.

Now, if one believes rule 5 was written to cover completed continuous technologies, then striking rule 4 also causes cubes on continuous technologies that are not complete to be put back in the bag.

And, if the purpose of striking rule 4 was to stop players from burying cubes on technologies they never intend to finish, then why allow this to happen on continuous technologies??

Yes, it is the official ruling as per the Official game F.A.Q. first item

Official F.A.Q., pg. 1 wrote:
This means that during Reset, only the cubes on activation spaces of technologies with continuous effects can be left on the technology. All other cubes must be put back into the bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.