Popular Tags: ccg [+] meccg [+] [View All]
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I have the Challenge decks do I need to get the Starter decks for any reason if I want to do some deck building?

Are there other fixed cards not in the Challenge decks that I will need?

Thanks
Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Henke
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeff brown wrote:
If I have the Challenge decks do I need to get the Starter decks for any reason if I want to do some deck building?

Are there other fixed cards not in the Challenge decks that I will need?

Thanks
Jeff

I believe so. If I get a chance, I'll cross reference it with the Wizard's Companion card manifesto.

I know they contain a fixed set in each box, but I can't recall if they contain all of the fixed sets or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
You spin me right round, baby - Right round like a record, baby - Right round round round - You spin me right round, baby…
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately there was a lot of fixed cards in the Wizard starters and many of them was must have cards to make things worse. There are five different fixed packs (one for each wizard) and it's impossible to spot which starter got what fixed pack without opening them. At least it was this way with the limited starters.

When they released the Lidless Eye expansion they realized that this wasn't a smart move so they had "windows" on the starters there so you could see what fixed pack you'd get.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
So, if I never buy a Wizards Starter deck am I losing out getting some cards in the set?

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
badge
You spin me right round, baby - Right round like a record, baby - Right round round round - You spin me right round, baby…
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I misunderstood the question somewhat. It is possible that all fixed cards from the METW starters are in the challenge decks. I don't know but it shouldn't be hard to check out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian B
Australia
Adelaide
flag msg tools
mbmb
Not all the fixed cards are in the Challenge decks but there are enough cards that you can play the game happily with them. A complete list is available somwhere on meccg.net forums. You can also buy the fixed sets from a number of on-line sellers or they come up on e-bay from time to time.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After a quick check the following cards can only be found in the fixed part of the starters and NOT anywhere else.

Beregond (Hero)
Robin Smallburrow (Hero)
Dunlendings (Hero Faction)
Ents of Fangorn (Hero Faction)
Doors of Night (Hazard event) - Can be found in LE though
Bag End (Hero site)
Dunnish Clan-hold (Hero site)
Ruined Signal Tower (Hero site)
The Wind Throne (Hero site)
Weathertop (Hero Site)

Some of these are quite useful so seems like you'd have to get them from somewhere. If you play with a map you can live without the sites I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomfarer wrote:
After a quick check the following cards can only be found in the fixed part of the starters and NOT anywhere else.

Beregond (Hero)
Robin Smallburrow (Hero)
Dunlendings (Hero Faction)
Ents of Fangorn (Hero Faction)
Doors of Night (Hazard event) - Can be found in LE though
Bag End (Hero site)
Dunnish Clan-hold (Hero site)
Ruined Signal Tower (Hero site)
The Wind Throne (Hero site)
Weathertop (Hero Site)

Some of these are quite useful so seems like you'd have to get them from somewhere. If you play with a map you can live without the sites I guess.

Thank you very much for checking up on this. I'll have to pick them up.

I must say that last night I was looking at the Saruman Challenge deck and it does have 3 copies of the Doors of Night. I don't know much about the others, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which cards would you think are the most important to pick up.

Thanks,

Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeff brown wrote:
Which cards would you think are the most important to pick up.

Thanks,

Jeff

Hmm...

Beregond - Can be useful since he's a Dunadan. I use him from time to time. Get.

Robin Smallburrow - Never use him but then I'm not too fond of hobbit decks that sneak around. Skip.

Dunlendings - Not the most useful faction so no need to get them. Skip.

Ents of Fangorn - You usually chose between this and an ally here, still useful to have. Get.

Doors of Night - Can be found in LE as I said, so no need to get this one. Skip.

Bag End - This site is used by several resources. Get.

Dunnish Clan-hold - Only used for the Dunlendings faction. Skip.

Ruined Signal Tower - Very useful site. Must have. Get.

The Wind Throne - Almost never used. Skip.

Weathertop - Useful in certain ring decks but not otherwise. Skip.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeff brown wrote:

I must say that last night I was looking at the Saruman Challenge deck and it does have 3 copies of the Doors of Night. I don't know much about the others, however.

You're right, but that's the Doors of Night from LE they use which is why I didn't spot it. It's the same card they just used the art from the LE edition.

No need to get that card then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Farrell
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My opinion on these cards ...

Doomfarer wrote:
Beregond - Can be useful since he's a Dunadan. I use him from time to time. Get.

Definitely get. Beregond is a commonly-used character because he is amongst the best ways to get decent prowess cheaply. He's a very generally useful character. There are enough characters in the game that missing any one isn't a big deal (Hama is very similar to Beregond), but Beregond is useful as a flunky.

Quote:
Robin Smallburrow - Never use him but then I'm not too fond of hobbit decks that sneak around. Skip.

I have literally never used him in a deck, and I have built hobbit decks. Plenty of other, better Hobbits around.

Quote:
Dunlendings - Not the most useful faction so no need to get them. Skip.

I have used the Dunlendings, but they're a pretty specialized card. Don't bother until you have a specific deck concept that requires them.

I seem to recall they become more useful with Fallen Wizards. But their high influence number is a bummer.

Quote:
Ents of Fangorn - You usually chose between this and an ally here, still useful to have. Get.

The Ents are definitely a broadly-useful faction, but I wonder how much of that is because they are a fixed card and so "back in the day" most people had them? There are other nearby factions (in Gondor and Woodland Realm) that are easier to influence.

If you've got a Quickbeam, the Ents faction becomes less attractive because you can only have one or the other, generally, and Quickbeam is a good ally and allies are scarcer.

I don't know that the Ents are a really critical card.

Quote:
Doors of Night - Can be found in LE as I said, so no need to get this one. Skip.

Isn't this also common?

Quote:
Bag End - This site is used by several resources. Get.

Yeah, but how often? If you run a hobbit deck you'll unquestionably have to have it because you need to bring in new characters there. Outside of a hobbit deck, though, the resources played there are weak, and I can't recall ever going there. It's not on the way to anywhere either.

So unless you play hobbits, I don't know if Bag End should be a priority.

There is a really abusive Fallen-Wizard deck based around Bag End, though.

Quote:
Dunnish Clan-hold - Only used for the Dunlendings faction. Skip.

Yup.

Quote:
Ruined Signal Tower - Very useful site. Must have. Get.

Definitely a useful site. Not amongst the top tier or useful sites, but I visit there from time to time. You can live without it, but it's good to have on occasion.

Quote:
The Wind Throne - Almost never used. Skip.

If I recall, it is an information site, which can be useful with Dwarven decks, and it's one of the few in the northeast. But I'd skip it until you build a deck that needs it.

Quote:
Weathertop - Useful in certain ring decks but not otherwise. Skip.

Hmm, this one I disagree on. Weathertop is a centrally-located information site with a pathetic auto-attack. This makes it very useful for Dreams of Lore, which is an easy 2MP. Weathertop probably doesn't get a lot of use in high-power games, but for decks where you are using a lot of Common and Uncommon cards, information doesn't suck - with lots of Ring sites very nearby, you can use Ringlore to bring in a powerful UC Dwarven Ring. Of the cards mentioned, only Beregond and Weathertop are broadly useful enough to be worth picking up even if you don't have a specific use in mind, in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the information.

Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian B
Australia
Adelaide
flag msg tools
mbmb
The best way to get all the fixed cards is to buy a set from eBay or an online meccg store. They do come up pretty regularly and are cheap (approx US$5). The reason to do this is that METW starters are getting harder to come by, but boosters are still pretty easy to get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree with this list. I've got a database of all the MECCG cards and my list of missing fixed cards is:

Bard Bowman
Beregond
Dunlendings
Dunnish Clan-hold
Ents of Fangorn
Robin Smallburrow
Ruined Signal Tower
Weathertop

Also, when you play with a map it is easy to do away with the region cards but I think you still want to use site cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.