Popular Tags: [View All]
Casey Earnshaw
United Kingdom
North Shields
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi everyone!

I am someone who really loves board games but I have never had any friends who share this interest. I did recently pick up table top simulator and it both made me feel super excited and broke my heart at the same time. I am blown away by the flexibility and potential of it but I have found that finding players is a little tricky to do as most people will password their games which is very understandable as if someone wanted to act nefariously it could really screw things up. I was quite interested to read on here about the other programs that people can use as well and I think it would be worth me installing them as well but it doesn't seem to matter how much software I put on the limiting factor will always be players!

So I propose that maybe those who are interested in playing board games with these programs could get together in a skype chat room group thingy.
I was introduced to these while playing a game called Discovery freelancer on a RP server. The group I play with have one set up and it is fantastic as you get this instant communication where people may be playing a different character solo and can then quickly relog and join your trade convoy or whatever It is so much more useful for setting up a game quickly, rather than posting on something static like a forum and hoping everyone has read it before the deadline, although I am not trying to set this up as a competitor to this forum as they both have their uses and one will never replace the other ever!

This would have a lot of advantages, it would be a place where we could see who was online and up for a game of something as well as a little bit of like minded casual chat but mostly it would be fantastic as it would help strip away a layer of anonymity of these online games which would hopefully give each other a bit more trust. It would also provide voice chat for those who prefer it to typing!

I am hurting really hard to play ANY board game as it is something I haven't been able to do for many years now I'm happy to play something as advanced as dungeons and dragons or as simple as even snakes and ladders! Just something to try and scratch this itch that has haunted me for ages, and although I understand that you will never beat actually sitting with people in reality this could be the next best thing.

If this is something that exists already then I would love to be invited, if not I am willing to try and set it up although I would have to find out how but I'm sure it isn't too hard! I don't want to create a fork though so I thought it best to ask before starting anything and advertising it.

Many thanks for reading this and hugs

Casey x

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sparr Risher
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Try #boardgames on irc.freenode.org

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Earnshaw
United Kingdom
North Shields
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmb
Okay I could give that a go. Do they offer something similar to what I was talking about? Or is it more generalised discussion on board games?

Personally I don't really like irc, it can be very complicated at times and it feels a little old fashioned. The idea behind the Skype group is that it would be quite specialized in that likely everyone who would be in it would be interested in emulating a board game over the internet. Also Skype has the benefits of voice chat and it will download all the messages that you miss when you next sign in. However if irc is the accepted standard then I am happy to learn how to change, my biggest concern is inadvertently forking the community as I can imagine that this is already quite a niche thing to do

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Broadview Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried boardgamearena.com? It is real-time board gaming with a huge selection of really good games and an equally impressive user base... Right now there are 1159 people online there. There has never been a time I have not been able to find a game and the majority are open for anyone who would like to join and quite friendly.

There is a built in chat function (text only) but my group just uses Skype. There may also be a built in live audio chat feature but I am not sure - never had to use it...

I love Table Top Simulator as well but find the same issues - no games to join...

Good luck out there!

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hernan Ruiz Camauer
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You might consider joining the Voice Gamers Guild here on BGG, to help in your search for online opponents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Earnshaw
United Kingdom
North Shields
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi David

I will certainly give that a try I am thinking about maybe re-posting this message on the Tabletop Simulator steam group and seeing if anyone there is in a similar position to us and if anyone would be interested. If it takes off then I will certainly let you guys know as TTS is the one I know the best at the moment and although I am willing to branch out into other systems I'd like to try and set up a small user base first so I know that I have some reliable people to play with!

I have played a game of basic fantasy on roll20. Dungeons and Dragons is something I am certainly very interested in but I am a bit short of cash at the moment and I can't really afford to be buying all the books and stuff. Basic fantasy was fantastic though! I think there's some sort of open source like license for pen and paper RPGs that it was using but they had managed to condense it down to something like 14 pages in a free pdf!

I don't know if my circumstances at the moment can allow me to commit to a large campaign but I would love to pour myself a glass of wine sometimes and play something that just takes an evening like monopoly or something which is something I think TTS can do very well, of course there is that initial investment of buying the program that might make the player base smaller than one of the free alternatives but I certainly think it is something worth experimenting with and seeing if it can be possible!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PrincessCasey wrote:
Dungeons and Dragons is something I am certainly very interested in but I am a bit short of cash at the moment and I can't really afford to be buying all the books and stuff.

You do know you can download the basic rules and DM handbook for the new 5th Ed. from WOTC for free?? (http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules) The starter set, which has an large intro adventure is fairly cheap, but you don't have to have that. There is also a ton of free modules on-line that can be adapted/re-purposed for the new version.

Failing that, you can find an HUGE ton of free fan-created rule-sets and modules for what is called "Old School Renaissance" (Google for: OSR D&D).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rorouni kenra
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
if anyone wants to play arkham horror through skype/google/facetime, let me know. hope to play with a group. no playeres here in my area i can find cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Earnshaw
United Kingdom
North Shields
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmb
Oh Herman, I am so sorry that I missed your message, you must have posted it while I was writing mine to not notice. That link you have me sounds fantastic and after I have replied to everyone on here then I will certainly follow it and introduce myself there! Thanks so much!

Hello Derek. I wasn't aware that they had released a lot of the rules for free! That's wonderful news! I'll make sure to have a read through them at some time but I want to try and find a group that would be interested in having me first because I have a lot on my plate at the moment and I really wouldn't be able to memorise it all now if I don't get to play for another year or so. But thank you very much for making me aware of that fact ^_^

Rorouni I would be more than happy to play with you if you would be willing to explain the rules to me, although to be honest if its something with a lot of rules like dungeons and dragons has it might be something that is too steep a gradient for me just at the moment, I'd much rather play something a little more simple or self explanatory like the game of life or cluedo or something like that but really I'm just desperate to play anything!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clarence Cowan
United States
Huron
South Dakota
flag msg tools
Hey there, I have been thinking about a remote board gaming idea that meshes with yours. I really like your idea of the Skype group that we could join to find people ready to play.

I am setup to layout a table with the board and all the pieces and host a camera on viewing the board or even multiple angles. Then I can even place a camera on me if we are trying to make it more social. At least the camera on the board would be great though.

Then as far as the game play, I would just move all pieces accordingly. For cards or hidden inventory, I would draw, show to the camera and then place down on your side for organization. Then you would locate that card from your deck and place in your hand to have your hand ready to go for strategizing. (assuming there are cards but each game would have it's own things of course).

So that is the general idea. This would work best with 2 player of course due to everyone seeing your cards when I show them to the camera but maybe we could just play the honesty game or maybe you have an idea to add a way for me to show you your hidden items without showing everyone else.

Feel free to message me to set up a game and try it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.