Subject: About building stations in twin cities rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yun Fong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the rule says:
"The cities of Melbourne and Sydney have 2 cities with a connection cost of zero. A player may have a maximum of one house in each city."
"The cities of Bangalore, Mumbai and Delhi have 2 cities with a connection cost of zero. Player may have a maximum of one house in each of the two cities."

As I saw in some Chinese introduction blogs, they said it means player may only build ONE house in Melbourne / Sydney / Bangalore / Mumbai / Delhi even they are divided into 2 cities.

However, I think it should be interpreted as player may only build one PER CITY, as Melbourne / Sydney / Bangalore / Mumbai / Delhi are divided into 2 cities, we could build one in each city. (Therefore in total TWO houses could be build)

Am I right?
As I know in France expansion, Paris is divided into 3 cities, and players may build one station in each city. (That's why the rule even warn players don't be stuck in Paris, that's nonsense if the rule allow players build ONE ONLY in the whole Paris.)

Thank you for your help. 

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Same other multi-part cities from previous maps. You can have a total two houses, i.e. one in each of the different parts of Melbourne, Sydney, Bangalore, Mumbai and Delhi.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule for Bangalore, Mumbai and Delhi is very clear. Those three cities are two cities each. But go to the Australia side, and the same wording is a little ambiguous. Are Melbourne and Sydney two cities each or two cities total?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yun Fong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Fraser!

Randell: I think that if two sentences are using same vocabularies and structure, they shouldn't have different explanations between two versions.

If we think that the explanation for Indian version is clear, then it should be apply to the Australia version too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fongyun wrote:
If we think that the explanation for Indian version is clear, then it should be apply to the Australia version too.
Once you know the rule, the rule is clear. But if you don't know the rule, and you are arguing about the rule, and you are playing the Australia board so you read the Australia rules, you find a rule that can be misread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
"The cities of Melbourne and Sydney have 2 cities with a connection cost of zero. A player may have a maximum of one house in each city."

d10-1 "The cities of Melbourne and Sydney have 2 cities with a connection cost of zero."
d10-2 "A player may have a maximum of one house in each city."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:

d10-1 "The cities of Melbourne and Sydney have 2 cities with a connection cost of zero."

Could have been written less ambiguously, e.g.

d10-1 "The cities of Melbourne and Sydney have 2 internal cities with a connection cost of zero."
d10-2 "A player may have a maximum of one house in each internal city."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or maybe just:

d10-1 "The cities of Melbourne and Sydney are each represented by 2 cities with a connection cost of zero."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, my point was that the original quote of two sentences is fairly clear. Admittedly it gets less clear when checking against the Indian Subcontintent, but as a stand-alone section it is OK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yun Fong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The ambiguity is caused by two different meanings of "city" are used in one sentence. First apply to an actual city (e.g. Melbourne / Sydney), and later apply to the "city" in the game to regulate buildings.

For the players not using Western language as native like me, may feel even more difficult to solve.

Like the examples showed by Russ and Werner, its better to avoid ambiguity by use one vocabulary for only one concept (by our best, of course). Its also the principle for drafting legal documents.

I think Werner's suggestion is the most easy to perform, indeed we do not need to emphasize Melbourne and Sydney are "cities". Just keep "city" in the rule regraded to "the places with three spaces for building" only.

---

P.S. Indeed I've just played with friends in the Chinese new year holiday for the "Australia" map, and somebody said we could only build one station per twin city. I think he've just read those wrongly interpreted blog articles, and we follow the wrong rule. So I'm now writing blog article in Chinese to spread the correct concept.

Thank you for all of you and the authors effort. I'm still looking for the next vacation to play the "Indian subcontinent" with my friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Werbaer wrote:
d10-1 "The cities of Melbourne and Sydney are each represented by 2 cities with a connection cost of zero."
The word "each" certainly improves this sentence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls